main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Meaning of PT Episode titles and keywords: is the dialogue the weakest part of PT movies?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tonyg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The discussion is really interesting, but guys, let's not derail it, arguing about TFA ( actually, I have much to say about the so called good dialogue there, but it is not the place).
    Actually I have always thought that the Sith rising is the Phantom menace and as I pointed above, part of that was revealed in a sad and a little bit menacing scene: the funeral of Qui Gon. But again, the keywords f TMP are related to the menace:
    -the boy is dangerous (it ambiguously alluded that maybe he is the menace as Kenobi1138 said)
    -is too dangerous, stay close to me ( Qui Gon to Padme) and of course the vague feeling of some elusive danger since the beginning as Obi Wan said...
    Yes, the dialogue could be as in the western movies :short and stylized , yet intense.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Qui Gon's death scene implied sadness withing the future. It showed death, but also an evil that will erupt soon.

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Yes, with Qui Gon something very important for the Jedi Order is gone forever. It is symbolical that the dialogue also shows that:
    -what will happen to me now (Anakin to Obi Wan, because his fate will continue in a completely new direction).
    -the problem with the Sith (discussed on the tomb of Qui Gon!).
    -and of course the talking visuals: all is in mysterious, in twilight, but menacing...

ConservativeJedi321 and Ezon Pin like this.
  4. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Qui-Riv-Brid

"....points of demarcation from the original six, to the New Corporate Era!

(thunderous applause)

Just thought that was funny....

Tonyg and Ezon Pin like this.
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I always considered the Dialog og I-III to be excellent, at least as good as IV-VI.

To me it is far more down to earth, not everyone says exactly what they mean, not every fraise is articulated masterfully for maximum effect, just like in the real world it can be "Cheesy" or as I prefer to call it Romantic, it is not drowning in snark every word, it is just people being people.

The titles too work just fine, they perfectly embody the over all direction of Palpatines plan, from the Subtle Phantom Menace, to the menacing Attack of The Clones, to the Frightening Revenge of the Sith, its really feels like each is a chapter in his master plan. But also on a sense in Anakins journey.

6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    So, as Google shows today we are celebrating Shakespeare and I think this thread is appropriate for a little challenge here: should we expect that the dialogue of SW has to be Shakespearian? Because the argument of many fans is that Lucas is not Shakespeare (agreed) and so we couldn't expect something similar. The funny thing for me is that actually the dialogue of PT is much closer to the style of Shakespeare, that it looks like, if, of course, we exclude the blank verse. But no matter that the characters don't speak in rhyme, they speak in similar haughty, pretentious theatrical way as in the Shakespearian (and similar) dramas, because yes, SW is presented always as a space opera and the PT as the golden past of this universe of the space opera. So the dialogue should be old fashioned and shouldn't sound as today's slang. So I think that the dialogue of PT is more Shakespearian not only for the style, but for the content: as is in the theater the characters should say condensed but meaningful phrases with deep context that almost nobody would say in real world or not in the same way, but this is the universe of art, after all.
    The funny thing is that many people complain about the dialogue not being realistic (and especially the dialogue of PT) but come one, it could be Shakespearian or realistic, but never both things, because they are controversial. After all, could anybody say in real world: 'Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow'. Is even more strange that the so attacked sand phrase (which I really like).

7. Banana-Wan Kenobi

Banana-Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2016
    I will have the general conscious and agreement of the PT dialogue being the weakest. But its very vital to the movies. It's the sound, music and visuals that truly tell the tale of SW. But it's not to say I don't love it. Which I very much do! Some choppy here and there(more so in AOTC), but I'm not expecting perfection here am I?

The dialogue has a lot of meaning at hand, and it doesn't waste much of it. It's important to pay attention to the characters and what they are: Implying, saying and doing. But you have to have a different perspective to look at this in this view to enjoy it. Trust me...I didn't always love the Prequels...Only mildly liked them...

Emperor Ferus, Huttese 101 and Tonyg like this.
  8. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    5 years later and the dialogue in AotC is watershed in comparison to the more "realistic" dialogue in TFA.

Qui-Riv-Brid and Watcherwithin like this.
  9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, it will always come down to different strokes. Never had the slightest problem with Anakin’s line about sand, but I loathed “who talks first.”

10. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I really like the title ATTACK OF THE CLONES. The only thing I have against REVENGE OF THE SITH as a title is that if directly follows an "OF THE" movie. I would have preferred ROTS be called something else.

11. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    That or "They Fly now?"

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Come on!

How can anyone deny this pure flowing golden dialogue?

POE
    So who talks first? You talk first?

KYLO REN
    The old man gave it to you.

POE (INDICATES KYLO'S MASK)
    It's just very hard to understand you with all the...

KYLO REN (TO TROOPERS)
    Search him.

POE
    ... Apparatus.

Oh yeah... by reading it!

:D

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  13. takotsubo

takotsubo Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2020
    OBI-WAN: I have a bad feeling about this.

QUI-GON: I don't sense anything.

OBI-WAN: It's not about the mission, Master, it's something... elsewhere... elusive.

QUI-GON: Don't center on your anxieties, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs.

These lines are so crucial yet seam to be so trivial ("I sense an unusual amount of fear for something as trivial as this trade dispute"). Qui-Gon -- a strong believer in the whills and the will of the force -- does not sense anything since everything that happens is because of the whills' aim to bring balance to the force. Hence no danger. Everything s going as planned. Obi-Wan -- on the other hand -- can only sense the danger with the mission since he's blinded by the dogmatic, narrow view and teachings of the Jedi.

14. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The dialogue in the PT is no better or worse than the dialogue in the OT. It's just a matter of style. The PT's style of dialogue is more formal, due to the trilogy's setting. It's only natural that many of the audience prefer the OT's more casual style.

As for the sand line from "AOTC", I never understood the hullaballoo over it. It's not a great or memorable line. But it's not terrible. The worst line I can remember was spoken in "A New Hope".

15. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    TFA is absolute garbage in terms of dialogue writing. I recently read a part of its screenplay and laughed at almost every page.

"I'm in George. I'm in George now, Phasma. I'm in George."

16. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree - or the stupid "Hello? Is Hux there? Ill hold. Blah blah". That was terrible and felt out of place.

I have no issues with the dialog in any of the prequels. Its a galaxy far away and this all happened a long time ago. Whos to say how they talked? Maybe a few quotes here and there are a tad cringey but most of it is just fine. Even the iffy quotes are still good with me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  17. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Just curious, which line are you referring to?

I remember my brother complaining that the dialogue TFA sounded too much like a Marvel movie after our first viewing. At the time I defended it but, watching the film today, a lot of the jokey lines have aged terribly. Love it or hate it, the dialogue in the PT sounds no more dated today than it did when the trilogy was first released.

18. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    If anything, the style of the acting and dialogue in the PT is closer to that of the OT than the ST's acting and dialogue is.

19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Actually, Harrison Ford had spoken two lines to Carrie Fisher in which he called her "sister" in "A New Hope". Between the lines, the use of the word "sister" and Ford's attempt to sound like a character from a 1930s-40s Warner Brothers movie is wince inducing to me, to this day.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    HolyKenobi93 and Seven85efg942 like this.
  20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The ST tried very hard to make the dialogue sound very modern. It often sounds like a current teenage show to me ("you have a boyfriend? a cute boyfriend?"). That kind of dialogue not only sounds totally out of place in a SW film, but tends to date terribly fast.

The old-fashioned dialogue Lucas used for both PT and CT hasn't aged. It was always old-fashioned in a way that it gave the films a timeless quality.

21. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I have never personally had a problem with any of the PT dialogue in some instances though I find the OT humor slightly more amusing but find the PT dialogue more grown up in some instances prehaps it just me or the different eras they were made in. Critisising the dialogue in the PT is to me just seems to another execuse to bash the Prequels as none of the films are perfect imo in that department and also the dialogue and acting not the main thing I about love SW it is the story/stories

Seven85efg942 likes this.
  22. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Yes, the dialogue is the weakest aspect of the prequels.

23. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I never got the hysteria over that eighter. In lots of ways it makes perfect sense for Anakin saying that. After Tatooine and his experiences there he hates sand because it reminds him of so many bad things.

I just went to the beach some weeks ago and when I walked over the sand and the had it stuck to my stuff I just told my girlfriend how much it annoys me...