main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Vaccinations/Anti-Vaxxers Discussion (formerly: Measles outbreak at Disneyland)

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    **** that ****

2. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    My boy's just been diagnosed with scarlet fever. Poor little sod, it's the start of his half term and we'd planned to take him to peppa pig world.

This is clearly Darth Guy 's fault

yankee8255 likes this.
  3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Further proof that anti-vaxxer insanity is not limited to the US: German product testing institute "Stiftung Warentest" (essentially the German equivalent of Consumer Reports), published an article in its magazine on the surge of measles cases in Germany (over 400 cases in 2015 in Berlin alone), with a link on its Facebook page. Suffice it to say the Jenny McCarthy#s teutonic brethren have outdone themselves in terms of hysterical citing opf misinformation:
    https://www.facebook.com/stiftungwarentest/posts/10153602041523332

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Australia is now suspending tax benefits and assistance for families who refuse to vaccinate their children.

Jesus must be furious.

Rogue1-and-a-half and yankee8255 like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Given that anti-vaxxers tend to be on the wealthier side, how much does that affect them?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I can't find any evidence to suggest this is the case in Australia even.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

In the US, it's broken down along two lines:

1) Personal exemptions (aka "The Jenny McCarthy group") who are generally trending affluent, white, suburban.

2) Religious exemptions (genuine ones, again which should not be harmful as herd immunity would still be maintained) which, I believe, generally trend poorer, or very insular communities (e.g. Yeshivas).

The always-appropriate medical exemptions (auto-immune diseases, etc.) which no one complains about tend to fall across the entire spectrum, as random medical issues do, but probably appear to be mostly affluent as poor kids probably die sooner for obvious reasons.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks Even, I wasn't able to find it.

You asked how it affects them: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/child-care-rebate

You may be eligible for Child Care Rebate if:
    • you use a Child Care Benefit approved child care service
    • you are eligible for Child Care Benefit, even if you earn too much to receive payment, and
    • you and your partner meet the Work, Training, Study test or are exempt from it
    Bearing in mind that Sydney, where your study is covered, is more expensive on a per capita and adjusted basis that almost any city on Earth (Singapore, Paris, Oslo, Zurich then Sydney in order) and people are often paying up to 9x salary for a house, the CCR is a relied upon payment for most families. Even the upper middle class ones. So, it will actually have an effect in a number of these suburbs.
    Child Care Rebate is not income tested.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love the concerns that vaccines are just part of a vast media and pharmaceutical conspiracy. Sure companies and the media can be really shady, but the suggestion that this would have to extend to *every* scientist and doctor around the globe is totally bonkers.

Sad these people's kids had to suffer, but glad that they saw how dumb they were being.

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Healthy Chicago is running a series of mass transit ads in Spanish encouraging parents to get all the recommended vaccines for their children. I wonder if there is particular resistance to vaccines in the immigrant community, or if that's more of a general awareness and access to care issue.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    They should reincarnate Marisol y Julio of NYC subway fame.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    There isn't any substantial resistance to vaccinations among immigrants.

And that woman is so sadly typical. "It's not an issue until it directly affects me or someone I care about."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, the attitude of pretty much all these people is "well as long as other people get vaccines, my kids can be the ones not to." Unfortunately when all the rich people who all think their kids are the most special snowflakes, this creates a bit of a problem. Then you wind up with Santa Monica schools that have the vaccination rate of South Sudan.

You know, if I lived somewhere where it was difficult to get vaccines and I obviously desperately wanted them for my family, I might *slightly* hate the *******s in West LA.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'll shoulder that burden for you solojones.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Language warning, naturally.

solojones likes this.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Another study for these monsters to ignore. Only over 650,000 people studied....

Conclusion:

The study strongly supports that MMR vaccination does not increase the risk for autism, does not trigger autism in susceptible children, and is not associated with clustering of autism cases after vaccination. It adds to previous studies through significant additional statistical power and by addressing hypotheses of susceptible subgroups and clustering of cases.

https://annals.org/aim/article-abst...la-vaccination-autism-nationwide-cohort-study

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ^ That reminded me of this.

Amazon Pulls Anti-Vaccination Documentaries From Prime Video After Congressman’s Inquiry to Jeff Bezos

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good. Free speech doesn't mean you deserve access to the biggest private platforms out there.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I’d like to hear about the strutter bubble.

Don’t let me down, P.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Darth Punk likes this.
  23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’ve got a bad case of the beezels.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    My pleasure.

The Strutter Bubble is a high-quality 100% soundproof big round thing, that allows you to block out the rest of the world.

Let me pass you over to our sales department exec, Mike (Thoros of Myr) Strutter.

Diggy likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I asked you, four years later, to be anything. And you became a god.

Darth Punk likes this.