main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Measuring The Success Of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    You seem worked up to the point of aggression over discussion of the success/failure of TLJ. The mention of Solo is valid as in any product line/franchise the financial return of the following instalment can give insight into the lasting success of the previous one.

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    You will not censor my points of view by calling them aggression. You at no point discussed what I posted, but chose to talk about me.

If you want to engage with me to talk about Solo, I am talking about it somewhere else in these forums.

I will say it once again: TLJ itself was a huge success, a film does not become the most profitable of the year if it was not a financial success, which is a measurement of overall success.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    jaqen and MaciekRS like this.
  3. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Censor? Take it down a notch. I'm suggesting solo is a relevant metric for TLJ that's all.

4. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    Sure. It doesn't prove anything, but the reactions around here when anyone even considers the previous film as a factor in what's happening with "Solo"... well, it's hard not to think some people are very afraid it's true.

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Because TLJ should be the last argument in a long list which includes the awful month, the huge competition, the lack of excitement for the movie itself, the recasting of Han, the small marketing campaign, the production issues... this is all part of the equation, together with if TLJ had or not any kind of impact.

Oh, and I am very afraid it is true, I guess any Star Wars fan would be afraid, except if they want to prove they are right... in that case they will be happy.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    MaciekRS, rorow1 and Satipo like this.
  6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Looking at reviews, and replies to tweets posted by Rian Johnson and Ron Howard, there is really no reason for Lucasfilm to feel like they have to change anything in response to feedback. It is seemingly divided equally, and it is not like they can evaluate someone's depth of fandom. I was thinking about how "Alien 3" opened huge, but dropped off significantly the second weekend, and that was blamed on what was done with Ripley and a little less so on how it wasn't like "Aliens." Disney and Lucasfilm haven't gotten the same kind of reaction; the movie was still a box office success.

7. Revan51

Revan51 Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2014
    Even if you don't like TLJ, you'd have to be delusional to say it was not a complete financial success. Do enough people hate it to affect the returns of EpIX? I kind of doubt it, even though I am in the camp of disliking TLJ. My personal opinion aside, I'll wager that 9 will fall somewhere inbetween TFA and TLJ in terms of sales. You are never going to hit that TFA high mark again, too many factors like the SW dry spell leading up to it that made TFA the monster it was.

Even if people don't like TLJ, they will probably see 9 anyway simply because people will want to see the last entry in the saga. Only those that hate it with a passion wont see it, or people like me who are "meh" on it will see it later, but eventually see it. (I'll go earlier if someone buys me a ticket LOL)

I think the only way you could argue TLJ was a long term blunder with numbers is if the receipts for ep 9 are really, really bad. Like 50-60% of TLJ. That would show that the people who are burned out on SW are actually a significant percentage. I would be shocked if that happened though.

Eternal_Jedi, rorow1 and jaqen like this.
  8. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    If things remain the same as they are now, I expect Ep 9 to make less than TLJ. It won't be Solo bad, but I do think that it could struggle to make a billion at the BO.

Before people claim that this is impossible, let's not forget that if someone tried to say 12 months ago that Solo would make under 500 million you would have laughed and said they were insane.

There are far bigger issues that LFL need to face up to than release dates and advertising if they want Ep 9 to be a big success.