main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Medley of Unforgettable Happenings. For Kessel Run Challenge.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 8, 2024.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Week 1's prompt is to write a story between 100 and one thousand words with this starting sentence:
    “The rain hadn’t let up in days, and all I wanted to do was scream.”
    Word Count is 332.

Note and Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters and will return them relatively unscathed. [face_laugh]
    Thanks to @ViariSkywalker for these endlessly inspiring prompts.

~
    Characters for this prompt: Obi-Wan and Anakin on a mission.

The rain hadn’t let up in days, and all I wanted to do was scream. I did like occasional soft rain showers for the novelty after growing up on Tattooine but this had been going on for close to a week.

We had come to this Coreward world to negotiate a treaty dispute between rival Guilds with contracts that touched on many shipping lanes and export pathways.

We had gotten embroiled in a lot of long-winded and belligerent speeches by the two sides which Master Kenobi was finally able to unsnarl.

It did not hurt matters in the slightest that one of the representatives was an attractive Twi-Lek with turquoise skin and light blue eyes.

Every time she looked at Master Kenobi during the talks, her lekku curled and flowed in a most interesting fashion.

But because of the delay, the unpredictable weather had turned nasty and we were stuck on a world with few nearby fun local sources of entertainment and the rain was so unrelenting that going some distance to the beach or lakeside was out of the question.

When it finally finally let up, we were able to take off and return to the Jedi Temple.

I noticed Master Kenobi surrepetitiously smirking at a message on his datapad as we settled into our seats.

"Is that a 'fond farewell' from Ms. Ranald?"

He tried to scowl at me but the twinkle in his eyes was unmistakable as he replied with a nonchalance I could not tell was real or not: "She simply wanted to thank us for our endeavor to forge a useful compromise."

"Uh-huh." I grinned.

"...And to apologize for the inconvenience posed by the weather."

That I did appreciate as a courtesy.

I could not help but notice that Master Kenobi took an inordinate interest in how the negotiated terms held up, as he sent and received several messages from Ms. Ranald.

This all led me to suspect that there was a mutual fascination on each side.
    +++

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love how Anakin observes his master and Ms Ranald and the rain so unlike on his homeworld Tatooine

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm all in for an Ani and Obi story, and bonus points for it not just being another "aggressive negotiations" episode.
    It's funny how most missions Jedi supposedly go on are peaceful negotiations but all we ever hear about are battles and fights.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, that is so them! :D

It sounds like Anakin is right about the "mutual fascination", too. [face_mischief] Such a fun story to kick off your Run!

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I was HOPING someone would bring up Anakin and Obi-wan and I like the fascination that he has with a blue twi’lek. *Winks in the style of Alole.*. I’ll be following this.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I do like that you chose Anakin as your point of view character for this fic, and I am with Anakin that soft rain showers can be nice and soothing, but when the rain gets heavy or prolonged, it is far less appealing. It also makes total sense that Anakin would see light rain showers as a novelty after being raised on the desert planet of Tatooine!

That sounds just the Negotiator we all know and love;)

Turquoise skin and light blue eyes. Sounds very attractive indeed!

Very cheeky, Anakin:p

I could totally hear that in Obi-Wan's voice.

[face_laugh]

A mutual fascination indeed. Anakin is a very keen-eyed observer, isn't he?[face_mischief]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Replies:

LOL I did enjoy writing that and Alole was absolutely the inspiration for a lovely Twi'lek.

~
    Week Two
    • Write a story between 400 and 800 words in which a character admits a secret to another character without directly speaking to them. Indirect means
    of communication are fair game.
    • Word limit = 400-800 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 22nd at 11:59pm.

Title: "Ready or Not..."

Word Count: 535

The prelude to a happy secret started in early spring when Leia, Han, and 3 year old twins Jaina and Tanda came for a visit.
    Tanda was amiable but less talkative than Jaina who asked questions nonstop and was curious about everything and anything.

Tanda would quietly enjoy coloring styluses and pads while Jaina took model X-wings apart and put them back together again.

Mara was more at ease with Tanda who was less of a handful.

She did not enter into the conversation Leia had with the somewhat newly married Winter Celchu nor the parents-comparing-notes between the Solos and Horns.

By contrast, Luke hung on every word and joined Jaina in the dismantling and remantling process.

Mara started having a voracious appetite and would be the one to finish off a bowl of snacks while watching holovids even before Luke did.

She scheduled her annual checkup with Healer Beillane a month ahead of schedule.
    Healer Beillane was surprised since Mara usually waited to be reminded before doing so.

Luke asked Mara how her checkup with Healer Beillane had gone.

Mara smiled and gave a noncommittal reply.

“It went fine. I’m just waiting on the results of some routine tests,” was all she said.

Mara scanned the HoloNet for broadcasts and written content on perinatal and neonatal tips and facts.

When she and Mirax got together for their weekly lunches, Mara began asking questions about the differences between Valin and Jysella and how long it took for each to sleep through the night and transition to eating solids.

Mirax surreptitiously smirked at the unusual interest Mara was taking in such things.

She commed Leia later that evening and shared her surmises.

Leia gave a happy whoop as she signed off and rushed to share what Mirax—and now she herself-strongly suspected.

When Han heard, it was all he could do not to say anything but Leia urged him not to breathe a word.

“Leia and Han are going to visit the Naboo Lake Country next ten-day,” He said by way of changing the subject. “They commed to ask if we would watch Tanda and Jaina. I know they can be a handful especially Jaina, especially in larger doses, so I said I’d get back with them.”

“It’s fine,” Mara agreed readily, much to Luke’s utter shock.

“Are you sure?” He said, gazing at her intently.

“Sure, I am,” She answered.

When he told Leia and Han, the latter two shared a knowing happy glance as they signed off.

The time with Tanda and Jaina went better than Luke could hav wished or expected. Mara’s patience seemed to have hit a new level.

He supposed he should never be surprised any longer by Mara’s reactions.

When the Solos returned from their brief time away, they shared holopics of their stay in a secluded bungalow.

“We’ll have to go there ourselves Mara,” Luke said. “It’s lovely.”

“Yes, it is,” Mara agreed.

She had heard from Healer Beillane earlier that day confirming what she herself had wondered.

Luke caught a tendril of her jumbled feelings and could hold back no longer.

“Are we … expecting?” He demanded over zoochberry pie.

Mara glowed at him without a verbal reply.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    :D Teasing Obi-Wan is the best part of being an apprentice, I'm sure Anakin would say. Endless opportunities. I really enjoyed the banter here!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Keeping a secret from Luke will be always difficult for Mara but she succeeds in this lovely piece

10. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    This was so sweet! I especially liked how happy Han and Leia were for Mara and Luke, and the reveal at the end was such a lovely moment. [face_love]

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Catching up on reviews, and I love what you did with the prompts so far!

Week 1

Love the idea of Anakin losing his enjoyment of rain after a week of downpours! And of course he would notice Obi-Wan's, ahem, interest in the Twi'lek lady and tease him about it. I guess it's a good thing that, in this case, the negotiations were not short :p

Week 2

I had a good laugh throughout this ficlet at how Mara thinks she's being discreet but, well, is just giving it away, and everyone seems to notice her not-so-secret secret except Luke. I also always enjoy seeing Tanda make a return to your stories and I like how you had Mara evolve for being more comfortable with "the quiet one" to growing to be comfortable with both.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's exactly the little clues everyone picked up on. So there's a progression involving the 'secret' as well as Mara acclimating and embracing the idea. :D

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    People sometimes are Not Subtle At All. My brother insisted I couldn’t have known about my nephew because his wife wasn’t showing. I pointed out that he kept cuddling her in public and rubbing her abs every five seconds, so only a moron couldn’t tell. This was a funny romp around the gossip mill and sweet.

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Your Run is already off to a wonderful start of smiles and squees - not that I would have expected anything less! [face_love]

Week One:

I can certainly see how this would be too much of a good thing for Anakin - there's a novelty, and then there's a straight-up inconvenience. :p

[face_tee_hee]

Is that so, Master Kenobi? [face_batting]

I did love the teasing between master and apprentice in this entry. [face_love] =D=

Week Two:

This is very in character. :p

As is this! [face_love]

Aw! I love the indirect communication of a secret between Luke and Mara - and all their friends - for the most joyous of reveals! [face_love]

I can't wait to see what you're inspired to write next! [face_love] =D= [:D]

15. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    A timeless kind of surprise, and an excellent way of preparing for it. Good on Mara for doing her homework before the happy arrival! (And best of luck to the new parents. :))

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week 3.

Write drabbles, 100 words each, using midnight, horizon, disaster, inheritance, endeavor.

Title: Sevrina's Hardwon Lessons

Sevrina Bendal often remained wakeful until midnight, reading supplementary files related to assignments in history and astronavigation.

Sevrina would read these by the light of a handheld glowrod surrpetitiously under the covers.

Sevrina particularly focused on diplomatic endeavors of not just the Jedi but other agencies of peacekeeprs on various worlds and eras.

“Negotiating is a delicate balance,” Her instructor told the apprentices. “You have to decide what you are willing to compromise on and what things you are not going to budge on.”

“That means being clear on your objectives is essential,” Sevrina commented.

The instructor nodded approvingly.

When it came time to craft a lightsaber, she spoke with Kirana Ti about the process.

Kirana told her to not rush but as an analogy float on the currents of a stream.

Sevrina took this advice and crafted a lightsaber of a vivid amethyst.

“I was surprised it took me only a couple tries to get it right,” She admitted.

Kirana smiled and admitted, “It took me a handful of tries. I had to learn the hard way to be patient. My advice to you arose from the fact that I had to master that quality. Being from Dathomir anything that felt passive was uncommon in the extreme.”

She and Kirana sparred often and Sevrina soon came to be agile and fluid as Kirana.

Sevrina focused on piloting as well and became quite proficient.

One of her final missions before Knighting involved taking down a fringe group who had forged documents and identities to steal inheritances from prominent heirs on several Core Worlds.

“What is the best way to handle this?” One of her peers asked.

“We need to get concrete evidence.”

“We also need a small, fast ship. If we're caught, it'll be disastrous."

They used a frigate with a cloaking shield.

She and her team stole aboard the flagship named Horizon and hacked into the computer files and uploded them to the authorities.

Sevrina's clever piloting as well as the shield extracted the team and her knowledge of navcharts had them escaping undetected.

In the aftermath of this success, Kirana warned Sevrina that not all her missions would have unmitigatedly satisfactory outcomes.

“You can’t feel guilty about that,” She said. “You have to be pleased with small victories.”

Sevrina frowned. “I can’t imagine that’s easy.”

“No, it’s the hardest thing,” Kirana said solemnly. “But you can’t allow the possibility of failure to paralyze you, either.”

This latter aspect was one of the things Sevrina admired about Kyp. He had prevailed over a difficult past and it only made him resilient.

Sevrina felt ready for each milestone as it came. When it came time to mentor her own apprentice, Sevrina passed on these same lessons of negotiating, not rushing yet being decisive, and not allowing oneself to be weighed down by things beyond your control.

Sevrina felt deep gratitude for the wisdom and pragmatism of her Master, and as a parent, Sevrina shared these nuggets of wisdom with her children, and it benefited them in their lines of work as well as their personal lives.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Sevrina and her lessons. From being taught to becoming a mother and teaching her children. A nice flow of your drabbles into one story.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Midnight (Jedi Studies)

Sevrina Bendal often remained wakeful until midnight, reading supplementary files related to assignments in history and astronavigation.

Sevrina would read these by the light of a handheld glowrod surrpetitiously under the covers.

One of the lessons Sevrina readily absorbed was the delicate balance between what you would willingly compromise on versus not.

When it came time to craft a lightsaber, she spoke with Kirana Ti about the process. Kirana told her to seek tranquillity throughout.

In the end, Sevrina’s lightsaber was a lovely amethyst. She and Kirana sparred often and Sevrina soon came to be agile and fluid as Kirana.

----

2. Piloting (Endeavor)

Sevrina enjoyed running through piloting sims with Kyp.

In one facet, piloting was a hard endeavor; her astromech didn’t always interface with her X-wing efficiently, malfunctioning at the weirdest times.

It was thanks to Kyp Durron's timely, willing assistance that the glitches finally ironed out, and piloting became more stress-free.

"Of all the guys you could've asked, it was quite convenient that you were able to get Kyp to do it." Commented Mara Jade knowingly with a wink. (She had
    seen the instant rapport between Kyp and Sevrina on a earlier, joint mission.)

Sevrina laughed but could not deny it.

---

3. Inheritance (Successful Teamwork)

Sevrina’s final mission before Knighting involved taking down a fringe group who had forged documents and identities to steal inheritances from prominent
    heirs on several Core Worlds.

“What is the best way to handle this?” One of her peers asked.

“We need to get concrete evidence.”

“We need a small, fast ship.”

They used a frigate with a cloaking shield.

She and her team stole aboard the flagship and hacked into the computer files and uploded them to the authorities.

Sevrina's clever piloting as well as the shield extracted the team and her knowledge of navcharts had them escaping undetected.

---

4. Horizon

With her Knighting on the horizon, she wondered was she really ready? But Kirana's belief in her buoyed her.

Sevrina felt ready for each milestone as it arrived. When she mentored her own apprentice, Sevrina passed on these same lessons of negotiating,
    not rushing yet being decisive, and not allowing oneself to be weighed down by things beyond your control.

Sevrina felt deep gratitude for the wisdom and pragmatism of her Master, and as a parent, Sevrina shared these nuggets of wisdom with her children, and
    it benefited them in their lines of work as well as their personal lives.

---

5. Disaster

Setting up a second praxeum felt like a pending disaster tending to little details; couple time was growing scarce.

They talked to Luke and Mara about the situation.

Luke said: "Delegating to reliable assistants is the best remedy.”

"Spending time together doesn't have to be elaborate," Mara said. "Just snuggling with a bowl of snacks and hot chocolate, listening to
    relaxing jizz or watching a silly romcom holovid is enough."

Sevrina and Kyp eagerly took this latter suggestion.

They made it a regular habit to have sunset picnics on a nearby beach or moonlit strolls in a flower bedecked meadow.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  19. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Just hurried through gleefully, loving that Kyp & Mara are part of your recent fan fics. It is so said the Mouse let such valuable SW characters disappear after the take-over. Thanks for keeping them alive with your excellent writing, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks @AzureAngel2 -- [:D] Kyp is so compelling and Mara indispensable [face_love]

Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  21. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Both versions of this week's story were lovely!

I especially liked the little details like Sevrina reading at night under the covers, and her amethyst lightsaber. And I like that Sevrina and Kyp go to Luke and Mara for advice on how to balance couplehood with all their Jedi responsibilities. There's really no one better to ask! :D=D=

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks. I really like Sevrina, and especially with Kyp [face_love]

~
    Week 4 is to write between 100 to 1,000 words from the POV of an inanimate object.

Summary: Being a mush fiend, I picked a betrothal ring for my OTP :)

"Circlet of Gold with Gems"
    Words = 136

Green and blue gems are fashioned by the jewel carver and seated in a band of rose gold.

The gems were procured from underground and sold to a vendor amongst others of varying quality.

This particular ring finds its way to the display case of a prominent dealer.

An eager suitor comes and looks over the selection carefully. Finally, he settles on the perfect choice, delighted with the combination of colored stones and the way the blue and green intertwine.

After a romantic candlelit dinner, he asks his beloved to join her life to his.

(He breathlessly awaits her reply.)

She answers without hesitation, giving a sincere, happy yes; her glowing eyes are as green as one of the gemstones.

The newly-betrothed couple share a kiss of happy affirmation and devotion.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Finally making sure that I spend the time reading this year, as well as writing and I'm so glad that I made sure that your Kessel's run was on my list for today - it's such a lovely read :D

Week 1

I'm sure they did! [face_laugh]

This made me have to clamp my hands over my mouth to stop any giggle escaping at work.

And...this was the point that I audibly chuckled. Poor Obi-wan and all his admirers...:p

Week 2

This was the point that I started to suspect what the secret was...

Yay! Suspicion confirmed! Also nicely done that it was obvious to the reader, but definitely not to the rather oblivious Luke... so well done.

Yes bud, and expect your life to change ridiculously!

Week 3

I love this piece of advice, good for real life and not just for Jedi. Also I really loved how you developed Sevrina's character and showed how the little bits of her life worked together to culminate in who she became as an adult - particularly well done considering you only had 100 words.

Aww, what a sweet and lovely moment to end on!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Kahara like this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Mush with a wedding ring. Perfect for an inanimate object writing about the day of bethrotal

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    O-ho, Sevrina is back! I love how you took us through the key moments of her life with the drabbles, from l'il Sevrina hiding under her blankets with a glowrod to do some extra reading to grown-up Sevrina starting a new praxeum with Kyp while trying to maintain a balanced relationship – and I loved how you turned the "inanimate object" prompt into an almost-drabble that fills the gap in the drabble series about the moment when she and Kyp tie the knot, so to speak.

(I'm so glad you started writing Kyp/Sevrina again; of all your mushy-mush pairings they're a favourite of mine!)