main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Meeting - Sat March 1 2008

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Styrofoam_Guy, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Meeting at Sci-Fi World
    http://www.scifiworld.ca/

2pm Saturday to discuss the fanfilm as well as other topics
    Saber Dueling
    Prop making
    Costumes
    RPG
    ect

So who can make it?

Styrofoam Guy

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Google map

I plan to be there... just need to clear it with Samantha that I can be free...

3. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    I can make that.

4. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Okay... to clarify... I will be there... I can probably pick some up on the way out if needed... or carpool... just ask...

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I am just a quick bus ride away so I should be there but that will depend on my workload honestly...

6. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    I'll see about grabbing some snacks and Coke/Coke Zero...

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    K I won't necessarily have a script ready for the meeting, but definitely have an idea about direction...I will bring some paper and such to take extensive notes.

8. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    sorry i won't be there. Maybe in april I can try to get down there (If I learned the bus routes by then :p)

9. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I haven't touched my Xwing pilot helmet since the build night. I might bring it to work on. I wonder what else I can bring.

10. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Unfortunately family commitments have sprung up and I can't make it now. Maybe if it were on Sunday instead..

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Alright well it looks like I am not going to be where I need to be in my work load so I can't make it after all. I really need to get this done.

12. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Well Alex... looks like it might just be ther two of us... guess I'll bring my Helmet along to finally finish up...

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    :( I will see what I can do...but I really need to get this done...

14. Chymaera

Chymaera Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2005
    Sorry, I will not be able to attend.

I have been sick all week and I am still not feeling very well. I will stay home and maybe work on my Death Star model.

--Lynda

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I should be there but may be a little late...managing to get what i need to finished...or close enough to.

16. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    May have been a small meeting... but I thought it was good... we got down some idea's... The locastion was great - be ready to be tempted to buy! and the Iron Chef was a great cheap place to eat, and gave a HUGE plate of food... though we were not too sure what we were ordering... lol

17. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    So Dan and I brought our Xwing Pilot helmets to work on and we made some progress. We could have done more if we brought the proper tools.

There is a growing list of people who want to get an Xwing pilot costume together. Dan and I are already working on the helmets and we are planning to build chest boxes in the near future. The screen accurate chest boxed when viewed up close are a bit bland. Although not screen accurate Dan and I want to make ones that look better when viewed up close. We also want to add blinky lights.

To compliment the costume we also want to build wearable Xwings. This way at conventions we can fly in formation.

Dan also brought his laptop and was showing the various videos he had down loaded. We would probably have been still there if his battery on his laptop had not died. At future meetings we can set up a projector and watch a bunch of these videos.

We discussed the fanfilm and where we want to go. We want something that can be filmed in a day. The idea is to start small and get the projects done and have a fun time. The basic concept is a saber duel. Choreography and location will still have to be determined but we are looking at the badlands that Dan posted about earlier.

We also believe that there will have to be several meeting sessions to practice the choreography so there is minimal wasted time on the day of filming.

We are open to other ideas for fanfilms.

We did discuss more the technical aspect of filming
    Steady cam ? how to construct one so we can get the camera moving instead of being stationary
    Camera Crane ? how to construct and control one so we can have shots that most fanfilms can not achieve
    Camera Track ? A simple system for the camera to compliment the steady cam for shots.

There was also talk of trying to Swede Star Wars. This is a new term for me so I am not familiar with the style but this sounds like a fun projects. Can we Swede other stuff too? Jaws?

Unfortunately the meeting place would not allow us to order in food so we went out to a local restaurant which was very good. They allow pop in the meting room so I will check to see if they allow snacks.

18. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Excellent summary Alex.

Yeah we seem to have a pretty steady grasp of the technical elements and the pooled resources so far seem to cover most of what we would want to do creatively. Right now I need to start focusing on, at the very least, an outline for the story.

We should also start looking into who will be in it (we need at least two people who can handle extensive dueling...this is a seven minute piece that we want to have shot in a day...that means a lot of intensive work that day and before hand). Also we need someone to shoulder the responsibility of choreography. As much as I would love to take on this aspect I admit that it would be mediocre at best since this is not my strength. I want to work closely with the person doing the choreography as the entire thing will be structured around that.

A couple things that we may want to try are:
    - Finding a skilled choreographer possibly someone with martial arts experience (Kendo, weapons training)
    - Finding skilled actors who can fight and move (martial arts experience is a big plus but not required); acting is not as big a deal was we are by-passing any dialogue (it saves trying to figure out a number of logistical problems, and I despise dialogue in the midst of a fight...) and at most they will be required to emote facially.
    - We all agreed that carbon fiber blades are the way to go. They are more expensive, but they tend not to flex, bend or break as often as other materials and tend to have a longer shelf life.
    - We may want to do some effects work...nothing extensive but somethings that I have in mind are beyond my talents with after effects and it would be best to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Like I said I have an idea in my mind including specific shots I am planning out in my head. Beyond that we need to start scripting, even if its just a rough outline of the action. We are going to need a producer and a script assistant. Producer to do the things I hate to do (get people and stuff together, schedule, organize etc) and the Script Assistant to keep a constant eye on continuity.

For the moment that is all I can think of...I will be back with more later.

19. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    So... are we thinking April 5th for the next meeting then? following our chats... we can maybe put the first Chapter of the Imps Relentless on the wall to watch!... Or the Classic, Troops...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.