main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    They’re only releasing one per year. Compared to say the 4-5 per year of superhero movies. No issue IMO.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Personally, I would have been much more excited if the news was about a new animated series.

3. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    No one’s going to be excited before they’ve told us any detail at all about these movies. It’s only story/characters/setting that gets us excited. This is just putting some future plans on our radar.

4. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    All that really matters for me is the quality of the writing. You have an entire galaxy, so the possibilities are essentially limitless. Even more so than our own galaxy.

So this news is great for me. Especially since I'm not thrilled with the Rian Johnson trilogy. I love that they are given a series because Star Wars to me was always about the long and consistent arc. Although I can enjoy one and done movies (loved Rogue One), it just can't match a well crafted multi-movie saga essentially meant to be one story.

I'd feel even better if the executive team in charge of these decisions had new blood.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    La Calavera and kalzeth like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not a GoT fan so I’m proceeding with caution as far as that trilogy goes. With the RJ trilogy, I want to see what it is about. I liked quite a bit of what he did in TLJ, but what I hated, I really, really hated.

And I like the idea of a new Star Wars movie every year, plus the TV series and the comics and books in between. If it becomes like Marvel...not a big deal to me. I am a Marvel fan and I admit that there is more than I can keep up with. I have not started The Punisher yet although it’s on my list (downside of being an avid sports fan is there is not much time to watch anything else on TV, especially not with a full time job and a family). I really look forward to Black Panther and Infinity War. But I don’t keep up with the comics, haven’t kept up with them much in Star Wars either.

With a new movie every year it’s easy to pick what you like and leave the rest.

I agree with @{Quantum/MIDI} on one point though. Disney needs to give Patty Jenkins and Ryan Coogler a chance to make Star Wars movies.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That's a lot of war among the stars.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What about those movies don't you like?

8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The serials that were the inspiration for Star Wars cane along every couple of weeks. If they can maintain standards then I can't find any objections to be had at a star wars film a year.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    One SW film per year is quite nice, but hopefully there won't ever be two or more per year. That would seem like too much and might result in a loss of quality.

Also, I really hope they branch away from the Skywalkers and the OT; dig deeper into the galaxy, hopefully many, many years BBY.

10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Because it no longer falls on one man's shoulders more or less, they can easily have two trilogies going concurrently with 1 or more anthologies each and every year. With different parties handling each movie/trilogy, it isn't much about staffpower.

And big SW fans will have no problem following each.

But casual SW movie goers will get lost quickly. If they are just watching them casually (the way I watch other franchises), then it will probably take them the first 15 minutes of the movie before they even realize it isn't part 2 of the movie from 4 months ago. By that time, the movie's foundation has already passed them by.

By only the 2nd transformers movie, I couldn't even keep track of which transformer I was watching fight and I realized I didn't care to sort it out. And I grew up watching the Transformers cartoon. So I could see the SW burnout coming from casual SW fans realizing they don't want to review a chart before they see the next movie and just give up.

kalzeth, {Quantum/MIDI} and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Star Wars casuals.
    [​IMG]

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I would love to see Patty Jenkins do a SW movie,

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Numbers dont always matter, you can be very disenfranchised from a series if the material is perceived as being rehashed or stale or the fan base gets pissed off. I will be interesting to see how Solo does opening so close to TLJ, which incidentally has split the fan base.

Edit: Yes I know I double posted...I am warning myself. :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    It is a lot. SW is a bit of a generational thing(well, GL’s mistake was making the ST after 10 years of the PT which was something I never agreed with). At the end of the day, we’ve gotten 3 SW movies and 4th one coming up and it hasn’t even been 5 years yet.

Not to mention how many of these movies don’t give themeselves the impact Lucas-Disney Intended. Force Awakens and Rogue One just seemed to have faded away with each new film rising from the horizon.
    Mmmm...Perhaps. I saw something bright in Patty when she did MONSTER back in 2002(I think). The intensity of that movie reminded me of AOTC in many ways.

If she could tap into that again, I’d be with her even more.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    WTF.

Seems like the quote mechanic of the site is screwing me over.

17. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    It is probably the draft autosave feature. Sometimes I start to respond to something and decide against it. Then I'll read something later I do want to respond to in the same thread and the original draft is still there. When you go to clean it up, it can get messy and cause these types of problems.

The autosave is a good feature. Just sometimes ruins a post if I rush through the clean up.

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I also think its caused by the overlap in the quote versus reply feature. If you highlight a section of a post you get both options and sometimes there is overlap.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/09/ron-howard-solo-a-star-wars-story/

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "I happen to know that George didn't kill Luke until the end of [Episode] 9, after he trained Leia. Which is another thread that was never played upon [in The Last Jedi]." - Mark Hamill

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So Lucas had him depressed & in exile, & would’ve killed him in the next movie anyway. It’s all just an adjustment & re-arrangement. Happens all the time during the writing process. Clearly in that Lucas version we’d miss having a whole movie where we see his power & influence after he transforms into the Force. That’s something I’m more intrigued to see rather than just the mentor role getting stretched out till the end of the trilogy. The Lucas story sounds a bit predictable & uninspired to me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When was Luke depressed in Lucas' story? And not sure what exactly is your point with "would've killed him anyway", as if it's all the same thing...

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    A protagonist needing a mentor?! The horror! Nevertheless, it sounds like GL had a more active role in mind for Luke than what we got. Luke would start episode 7 in exile but would progressively come back to himself through him training his new apprentice. Nothing in this version points to him either wanting to die or cutting himself from the Force nor him sneaking up on his sleeping nephew and briefly thinking about killing him since GL's treatment for 7 had Talon corrupting the son as the story. Then he would have two more movies of development before dying a typical mentor death. Sounds interesting. I assume this came from his recent conversations with GL.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Some guesswork there. We don’t know how active Luke would have been.
    Not sure what you mean by “when”. We know of the Lucas approved concepts describing an exiled, haunted Luke. What do you think was the reason for his exile?

Slashfilm summarised the various ideas thusly: In the book (The Art of Star Wars The Last Jedi), we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I suppose the point of saying that is that is a response to Lucas's provisional intent to kill Luke in IX is being invoked as if that being preferable to Luke dying at the end of VIII is a given.