main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

That's a good point. Everybody seems to expect ANH/ESB Han right off the bat, but for all we know something might've happened in those earlier years to alter his worldview, behavior, etc. before getting to his ANH self.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    We do know Han's the type of guy to run when somebody's pregnancy test comes back positive.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  5. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Nice to have current talent that feels that way.

For another Howard aside, I somehow forgot or simply didn't realize he directed In the Heart of the Sea. I thought that one was hugely underrated and underserving of a box office flop.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Ron Howard is the exact oposite of Roman Pulansky and many other Hollywood types.........classy and honroable. We all owe him our 100% support in going forward on Han Solo.

7. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll give him 95%. I'm still a bit skeptical about the overall project.

8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    While I'm not a fan of his films, there's no denying Howard's a class act all around.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    This is a pretty neat idea. I would prefer if they indeed did a larger timeskip, maybe even hundreds of years, and have an all-new cast of characters instead of the current cast which I don't much like. Kind of like the Legacy series of comics. Though I wish they wouldn't redo the Empire/Sith Army thing that was in those comics. I'd prefer a completely different threat, something like the Rakata or even the Yuuzhan Vong over another Dark Side cult or group of space Nazis. Snoke, Kylo and the "Knights of Ren" are already way too similar to Palpatine, Vader and the Sith, and have pretty much nullified the ending of RotJ, the Chosen One prophecy and the entire Lucas saga.

Darth Caliban and Slicer87 like this.
  10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Bazinga'd , my allegiance is to Han Solo, to the movie!

Only a fan deals in absolutes. Will I enjoy the movie? I will try.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There is no try, do or do not.

12. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Anakin: Master Yoda. Did you even try to stop the Emperor?

Yoda. I trie ...... did not.

------

Dark Lord:
    We don't have to run away anymore.
    I have brought comedy to the movie.
    I am more powerful than the Producer.
    I...I can overrule her.
    And together, you and I can finish the movie...
    make things the way we want them to be.

(Ron Howard voice over: They couldn't)

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics! Part 68

New pics of Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, James Earl Jones, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Lin Manuel Miranda, George Lucas and Carrie Fisher!

STAR WARS Battlefront 2 Pics!

New pics of STAR WARS Battlefront 2!

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    So, uh, James Earl Jones is just in there because he happens to be in a picture with Mark, right? You're not implying he's part of the TLJ cast...

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    correct. neither is gl obviously.

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    What event is that pic of George and Ridley supposed to be from? We're have they been together recently? Are you sure it's not just from the premiere of TFA?

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    It's from the TFA premiere.

19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Janina Gavankar on Iden Versio. Apparently she did mo-cap for the role, and Iden's resemblance to her is intentional.

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Han Solo Pics! Part 10

Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller out, director Ron Howard in, crew shirts and Donald Glover's Lando mustache

21. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    New clip for Forces of Destiny. IMO its cool that they managed to get Lupita Nyong'o, Felicity Jones, and Daisy Ridley back to voice their characters. Also more Ahsoka is always welcome.:)

Here's the first trailer for FoD, released back in April.

22. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  23. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    My view is that Lord and Miller were a poor choice for the Solo film from the beginning. They always seemed like an odd fit to me.

If what they were doing was so detrimental to film that they had to be fired, then I can't imagine that the film can be salvaged without moving its release date past May 2018. They had finished almost 5 months of filming, and there was only 3 weeks of principal photography left. That's a lot to re-shoot and not a lot of time to do it.

If the release date is moved back, then firing them was probably the best choice for the film, but I still don't agree with the choice. Kasdan and Kennedy knew exactly what they were getting when they hired them -- they direct goofy, over-the-top films. Multiple sources have also made it clear that Kennedy disagreed with their approach from the beginning of pre-production. There were no late-breaking surprises here.

Pre-production is the time when they should've been replaced. These directors were brought in because they were told that they have a unique voice, and they made a film in that fashion. It's not fair to them to dump them because Kennedy doesn't like what they gave her when she had every reason to believe that this was exactly what they would give her. In fact, her disagreements from the beginning pretty much prove that she knew that this outcome was what she would get.

The film may be salvageable, but it should've never gotten to this point. Creative differences should be sorted out in pre-production, similar to what happened with the Ant-Man dismal because of Edgar Wright's "wacky" script, who's now gone on to write and direct the critically acclaimed Baby Driver (98% rottentomatoes, 8.5 IMDb). Lord and Miller have given 2 to 3 years of their lives to this project, their careers have been tarnished, and they could be out millions of dollars. That's simply not fair way to treat directors who are making a film in exact manner that they've always done. It's also placed the entire project in jeopardy.

This is not typical of Hollywood productions. None of the Marvel films had directors replaced midstream. Yet TFA had its writers replaced (which is more normal), and JJ had to fight for more time to finish the film. KK forced Edwards to play 2nd fiddle to Tony Gilroy during reshoots. Now, the Solo film had its directors fired with 3 weeks to go in principal production. This is beginning to be a pattern.

I hope Kennedy finds better ways to figure out whether her directorial choices suit the creative vision of future projections. What's happened so far is unfair to the directors, could jeopardize the quality of the films, and could scare away good talent from future films (directing SW is pretty daunting as it is.)

BTW, it's pretty weird that Kasdan wants the film shot word-for-word according to the script even though Lucas and Kershner changed many of Kasdan's lines (and Kasdan changed many of Lucas's (with permission)). In fact, Han's "I know" was ad-libbed. (Lucas actually liked the change, but feared the comedic line would ruin the drama of the scene. Lucas was on board with the change after he saw it worked dramatically with test audiences. Kasdan was the one who thought they should've gone with his original line.)

24. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    This was noticeable from when JJ had to fight his way into asking TFA for more production time. R1 and Solo was just a predicable action at this point that should have been seen a mile away. But what baffles me more are the Solo and R1 handling. Disney seems to have very little respect for Directors to what it seems. Gareth had his vision forcibly changed from a 2nd person and Lord/Miller's movie was taken from them.

But 3 weeks? 3? You might has well rehire them to finish their vision because Ron Howard has a giant steaming mess of untapped Midiclorians on his hands to fix.

rpeugh likes this.
  25. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I've seen people bash Edward Furlong's performance in Terminator 2 recently. I was only 11 when it came out but I don't remember anybody having a problem with his performance in 1991.