main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ty, Lordban. I like to imagine you as your avatar utilizing the Force to dispel drama away from folks. ;)

Master_Lok, Emperor Ferus and Lordban like this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Wouldn't that be nice... ^^

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Diva love for mah fellow loons. <3

[​IMG]

4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Mens sana in corpore sano

For me, really, that has always been the case. And it has been doubly so on account of everything I've gone through the last few months, injury-wise. I mean obviously I was in a great deal of pain because of the injury itself, but the stress and anxiety over not knowing exactly how serious an injury it was were positively crippling for me at times. At least I know now I shouldn't have to worry about needing surgery for it (most likely) and could be much better in just a few months without a lot of extensive PT.

So that in itself has helped me feel a whole lot better lately than I have for many months. I'm also looking forward to the day when I will be able to feel safe going to a gym again, as that has traditionally been one of the very best ways for me personally to stay in a good space, psychologically. I think even my dreams have been getting more cheerful and positive after many months of gloom and nightmarish stuff. A good night's rest can make a very big difference imho.

@SateleNovelist11 - I read your post last night and have been thinking about it. I want to be as supportive as I can be but also want to make sure I do not accidentally offer any unsolicited advice. So I hope I'm not going too far in saying that I feel for your situation and I have been in somewhat similar situations due to being different in some way that makes people uncomfortable (neurodivergent/gender non-conforming/person of color or any combination thereof) and I know just how much prejudice there is out there in the world, sometimes even coming at you in places you'd ordinarily think of as being reasonably progressive, and it really sucks when one is in a situation like that and being given a hard time over immutable characteristics that people shouldn't be judging you on. Please know I'm hoping things won't stay that way for long.

@Lordban - I don't know if this has been an issue for you, but for me and many of the people I know, there is a huge disparity in terms of POC getting an accurate diagnosis - and because the thread instructions are that we don't get into discussing social issues, I'll just leave it at that and speak of that only and exclusively in terms of personal experience and why this is yet an additional obstacle for us, hopefully this is a little less of an issue over there than it is in the US but I feel it is worth mentioning briefly because of how terrible this has been for some people in terms of getting accurately diagnosed by mental health professionals in many instances. And this manifiests itself, again in the US, in terms of less people of color showing up sometimes even to support groups that are open to everybody. All of these obstacles shouldn't exist, imho, but I'm talking about this purely in terms of something that has bothered me personally for a long time and I just thought I needed to try and vent a little and hopefully other folks in the thread haven't been personally affected by this. Again, we can't discuss this in terms of social issues generally in this thread because it goes against the ground rules. But, on a purely personal basis I think it's horrible that even some professionals can be unconsciously biased as a result of it.

Stay safe everyone, and virtual hugs for all who appreciate them!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. I think that basically sometimes adults fail to understand how much they have in common. and I'm fine. I have an alumni association and former professors who understand me, and I'm grateful for that. I think that some people think there are only two genders and it's difficult for them to discern how nonbinary and trans folks are the same as everybody else. I'm keeping it general because I don't want to be too specific, as you said.

Yes. I think that people get inaccurate impressions and they don't empathize with people. But I appreciate people with empathy and compassion. And I feel that we foster an environment of empathy and thoughtfulness on this thread. It is much appreciated.

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    My partner came home today. We talked and admitted that we were both at fault. For my part, I know that the blow-up was due in large part to my own insecurities and past issues. I’ll be working with my therapist to get through those problems and try to get better.

I feel so much better now that he’s back and we’ve reconciled. It’s like the past four days were one long nightmare and I’ve finally woken up. It feels like the sun is shining again and I know everything is going to be okay.

I am a bit concerned at how my happiness is dependent on someone else. I’ll try to work on that with my therapist as well. But I feel like I can finally relax and breathe easily. My crisis is over.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So happy to see the Diva in residence @harpua Thank you.[face_love] Hope you are okay.

@Princess_Tina whatever the injury may the surgery fix it.

@Vialco glad to hear, keep giving yourself some love too.

I hope everyone is hanging in and has a decent Friday. Having to reboot the positive mindset, as external triggers kicked in again.

9. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Love the cat photo. I hope your surgery helps, and keep us posted, Vialco. Glad you're all doing well, Ms. H.

It's a weird world, but we're fine here. We've been giggling a lot since last night, and I'm not going to let anyone who bullied me in other areas of the country get me down. Keep smiling, all. :)

10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Sorry for this guys. Also, I apologize for any negative impressions I may have left here recently. Never meant to be antagonistic to anyone or give hollow comfort.

Today I felt really depressed. Like I wanted to cry but couldn’t. It’s been a hard week, living on the edge of a wildfire zone and having to evacuate and now I’m catching up with school work and trying to go back to normal despite smoke remaining in my area. I went to the mall but it was very hollow, I checked out some Star Wars
    books at the bookstore downtown as well. Seems like everywhere is smaller and less exciting, it’s hard to remember what these places were like pre Covid and before a lot of places closed.

Other than that I had been fine yesterday but the emotions hit me hard today. I am reading an English class book but I am going to read some of my favorite EU novel: LOTF Inferno before going to sleep.

I’m happy to be here for anyone else but again I didn’t mean any hostility at any time

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I didn't pick up anything antagonistic earlier @Emperor Ferus , though I have been worried about you and hoping you're doing something that will help you get through these horrible days for you and your family, I can't say I've ever been evacuated but I can imagine how stressed out I would feel under the circumstances, and also I imagine overcome with a sense of powerlessness in the face of natural disaster.
    It's probably a good thing that you go out for a walk or just shopping whenever you get a chance to distract yourself for a while and help (I hope) get some of the anxiety out of your system.
    Please don't hesitate to reach out as often as you need to, I can't to much for you physically but I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.
    Keep taking good care of yourself, you are an awesome person and I'm sending you a lot of healing vibes [:D]

Iron_lord and Emperor Ferus like this.
  12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Iron_lord and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So I just received belated word that we’re working from home until at least January, and will receive at least two weeks notice before we have to report to the office.

I find this out by sending an apparently too detailed vacation request to which my tactless boss ripped me a new one about the way I requested vacation time.

I am grateful I [face_laugh] about it, because she is so tactless and over-the-top with her nasty comments.

Trying to keep it together otherwise. Lots of stupid stuff going on that I’ll refrain from saying.

Hope everyone is okay.[:D]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That sounds like great news, @Master_Lok - sorry to hear about your tactless boss, but here's looking forward to more WFH for now!

Master_Lok and Emperor Ferus like this.
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We've been told we'll get two weeks' notice before returning to the office... but there hasn't been a peep about even attempting that since July. I say at this point just tell people to come back once they've had a vaccine.

Sorry about your tactless boss though. When I put in for vacation my boss was just like "sure I wish I could go with you!"

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Reading posts about awful bosses do help me appreciate the support I get from mine.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We should always appreciate supportive bosses, in my experience they're few and far between. There's too many heartless ones out there who don't understand basic concepts such as human empathy.
    A little bit of it can go a long way towards making us more productive work wise!

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've been pretty lucky with the ones I've had.

Edit: Should have added that I also apply what I learnt from them in how I act as a manager.

Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve had some wonderful bosses and a couple of stinkers (including the two at the current job), but I’m working on not stressing out over the job or the bosses’ tactless verbiage, lack of clear communication etc.

Make sure I let the bosses who were great know how I feel/felt. Jedi Ben that’s awesome you learned from some good people.

Yes, I am glad we are working from home until at least January. [face_party]

Thanks everyone, [:D]

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I once had a boss who couldn't deal with the smell of my hair. I used a leave-in conditioner for curly hair. He told me I smelled very "ethnic."

Yeah.

solojones likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good lord.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Remarkably non-productive day, on the edge of breakdown throughout. Burnout or anxiety, which way should I go... [face_plain]

Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know the feeling. Although I did get some stuff done today, I am now stuck just staring at the clock in anxiety.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I am feeling an increased sense of anxiety myself as the election approaches. I'm really hoping there won't be violence in the streets.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012