main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Never apologize for having a heart and showing it :)

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Where do you think the problems with attention span and concentrating are coming from?

100% recommend therapy, if you can cultivate that relationship, it can be an immensely powerful centering tool

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Agreed on therapy. I've been in therapy for over a decade, and swear by it.

4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I think it's mostly anxiety. I did a lot of doomscrolling during the start of all this, just constantly refreshing the news and social media and everything before I learned to limit myself. And I've become hypervigilant at home, to kind of know where everyone in the house is and get an idea of what's going on so that I can avoid them or prepare myself to deal with whatever the situation is. Just plain old exhaustion doesn't help either.

Definitely going to try therapy, it's just a matter of making myself take that first step.

Thank you all for your responses.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    harpua, Point Given , Lordban and 2 others like this.
  5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I thought social media might have something to do with it. I had to delete my Twitter account. I made a new one, but one devoted exclusively to work and networking, a single purpose if you will. I don’t find myself using it except strategically when looking for work. I also don’t keep instagram or Facebook on my phone, and I’ve never downloaded TikTok. Something to consider, it’s good that you know your limits now.

I have been in similar shoes with people in the house before in regards to hypervigilance. I am hesitant to give any advice in your situation, but the only thing that helped me was to get out, and to build a strong community that could help me once I got out. You might not be in the position to get out, but you can create a plan, and start building towards doing so. The more you can chunk it into tiny steps, the better.

I’m sorry you’ve found yourself in this position. If you ever find yourself back in a place to write more fan fiction, I and many others would love to read it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yesterday, I called to schedule an appointment, and was informed my therapist is no longer employed there. What a ****ty way to find out. A courtesy call to his clients would have been nice. This is a huge bummer for me, because he is a great therapist, and we worked together really well. So now I'm waiting for them to assign me somebody else. This will be therapist number 10.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Guys, I am in a super-dark place right now. I don't even know what to say. It's just bad. It's just all bad.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    How’s it going, Stephen?

SateleNovelist11 and Bacon164 like this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Not good, man. Really intense meltdown earlier today, worst I've had in years, possibly ever. I'm just so tired of putting in so much work. I just work so, so, so, so ******* hard on myself and it then it just . . . falls apart anyway. I just don't know what the point is anymore.

Emperor Ferus and Bacon164 like this.
  10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, I’ve been there. For me what helps is just taking a step back and treating myself. It sounds like you’ve made tons of progress consistently over a long period of time, so maybe a nice break is in order

Lordban, amidalachick and Bacon164 like this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    If I could find anything funny right now, it would be this: that's what this is: my break. I'm taking some vacation days. Had a panic attack yesterday morning. The morning of a day when I had no responsibilities and nothing I had to do. Today was so much worse. I don't know how I'm supposed to go back to work like this.

12. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    As more of a lurker than anything, I'd just like to say how greatly I respect all of you. I have a sibling who, for well over a decade, is a chronic abuser of alcohol and mentally unstable, yet refuses to seek professional help for counseling and proper medication regiment. She was my best friend growing up, and now I truly despise her, both for what she's done to my mother and myself, and for not even trying to get help. (All the more galling, as I've pursued every avenue to allay my own acute depression. I have good days and terrible ones.) The prospects for her living to see 45 are dim, and despite the trauma that was visited upon her by our sociopath of a father, I don't even think I'll be able to properly mourn her when she does succumb. I hate her, for not even making an attempt.

Contrary to what that little green Jedi avers, trying is everything in this life, given the tremendous role luck and circumstance play in dictating our trajectories. Oftentimes things get better, or at least reach an uneasy stability; but for some people (and this observation haunts me every day of my life), things just get worse, regardless of valiant effort. But you're all trying, and I admire the hell out of each of you. Please keep at it, and go easy on yourselves. You didn't ask for these burdens; you're just trying to survive them.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm going to be okay. I started out seeing Joey (my now former therapist) in the town, where I was homeless, and where I live now. Last year, he moved to a facility in another town, and I followed him there. The facility I followed my therapist to called me today and told me they only have groups, they can't offer me individual sessions at this time. So, I called my original facility, the one who let me live in their parking lot, and they are working on finding me a new therapist. I feel a little better about the situation now. Still bummed about having to start all over again, with somebody new, though. That's not an easy thing to do.

Lordban, amidalachick and Coruscant like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Do you see a therapist or psychiatrist? If so, perhaps either one can write a letter for you, so you can take more time to sort this out?

Lordban likes this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    We care about you, Rogue-1-and-a-half. Same to Harpua.

Lordban likes this.
  16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Seconding this. And if you can't talk to a therapist soon, talk to someone. Let out all you need to.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I am feeling better. I hope to see my therapist and my doctor next week. It was really bad there for a couple of days.

Runjedirun, Ghost, harpua and 5 others like this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Don't be afraid to use FMLA if available to you for medical leave. I feel you on not being able to work through that level of anxiety.

harpua likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've been assigned a new therpist. It is a woman named Michelle. I have my first phone session with her Thursday morning. I'm nervous, because losing my therapist, so suddenly and without notice, was a really traumatic experience, on top of what I'm in treatment for. I'm still really upset about it. I will move forward with this new person, but it may take a minute for me to get comfortable and trust.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I really really hope it goes well with this new person. The way you've been treated with this is really crappy and insensitive.

Me personally I talked to my psychiatrist today and we're gonna up my Abilify. My anxiety has been relatively under control but that's left me sorta ignoring how medium bad my depression has been. I haven't cleaned my house in months for instance.... Just no motivation to do anything after work.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I now have a new psychiatrist. I meet her on Jan 18, via zoom. I don't know wtf is going on at the mental health center, but this is ****ed up... two major contacts in my life, totally gone with no notice.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Wtf. I'm so sorry.

Juliet316 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The hell? That's stupidly rapid. Hope that appt goes through for you H.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Same. Psychology Today recommends plenty of therapists, but IMO, this stuff should be free and it shouldn't be a hassle for you or anyone else. It's a human right, not a commodity.

Juliet316, Lordban and solojones like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Like for me my psychiatrist is much less important than my therapist, but it still sucked switching them twice in three months for me last year which I wound up having to do due to insurance changes.

Lordban and SateleNovelist11 like this.