main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Created by the late psychologist Robert Plutchik, the emotion wheel describes eight basic emotions: anger, anticipation, disgust, fear, joy, sadness, surprise and trust. Those are the primary emotions. All humans feel them. They are universal, and primal. It's pretty cool stuff. I learned about it in my Human Services Helping Skills class today.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, I'm no longer participating in the practicum. I got an email, which makes total sense. I get it. Kinda bummed about not getting the extra credit, but it's okay.

Hi Kristie,
    I appreciate your wanting to participate, as a client, in our counseling practicum. However, interrupting your current individual counseling to do so is not the best course of action to take. As you are learning in Helping Skills, with Dr. O'Hara, building a strong therapeutic relationship is a key element in effective counseling. Interrupting that process with your current counselor then trying to establish a working relationship in the practicum is not in your best interest in my opinion.
    We are doing two sections of practicum next fall (one in person and one remotely). If you are not in counseling at that time, then I would be happy to have you participate in the clinic. I can talk to one of your professors, at that time, about you receiving extra credit for your participation.
    Again, thank you for your interest and if you have any questions, please contact me.
    My Best,
    Darwin
    Instructor for Rehabilitation Counseling Practicum

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I was just overwhelmed with the chart. My bad. Best wishes for the weekend. Sorry. House party still going on.

I got blue this week over Russia and Ukraine. But otherwise, things are rockin' now. I wish we could have a JCF house party after the defeat of Covid.

7. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    This is one of the most incredible, life-affirming interviews I've listened to. Johann Hari is a treasure.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Interesting. I'll have to listen to that. Not really a fan of Williamson, but I heard Hari on Democracy Now! and thought he was really great.

That's obviously him talking in a very political way, but **** me if "the junk values of neoliberalism" isn't, as a phrase, just dead on target.

Sauntaero and grd4 like this.
  9. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Rogue1: I don't think(?) it's my imagination that Williamson has become a bit more grounded in the past couple of years. I had once dismissed her as a well-meaning New Ager, but she's become a more formidable presence as of late. In any case, Johann Hari's words shook me to my core.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It makes me so happy that you're enjoying school so far.

Me personally I'm not doing great mentally but my boss came back from maternity leave today and oked my two week vacation in May so.... Hopefully that can happen by then.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hope you will have a lot of rest & relaxation during your vac, sj

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I am, and I was just notified, because I was accepted into the program for first generation students, I get priority for counseling services. So, I have another consultation on the 9th, and I will probably get assigned a therapist very soon. Normally, there's a 4-6 week waitlist, so this is a big deal.

Glad to hear you get the time off... you ****ing deserve it.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Raging pandemic killing thousands per day in my country alone and no one in charge cares enough to do something about it, as though there weren't already enough mass suffering; five-day 90-degree heatwave and relentlessly low humidity in what's supposed to be the rainiest month; my modest financial ambitions are always out of reach because of a cost of living that's been skyrocketing for most of my adult life and accelerated recently; and on top of that I've been nursing a probably-dying cat for over a week after an unsuccessful surgery to remove a tumor. Sometimes the mental barriers that keep me from being submerged under this *****y world break down, particularly when I am losing one of the few good things in my life-- that is, loved ones, and obviously I don't just include humans.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Sauntaero, grd4, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, I feel that. I feel that post real bad. We’re here for you. Love up your cat some from us

harpua, Jedi Ben, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  15. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Keep doing what's within your power. The rest will have to work itself out.

harpua and Bacon164 like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I'm so sorry about your cat Evan. I'm choking up just thinking about it.

Jedi Ben, harpua, Darth Guy and 2 others like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Evan, I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I'm not looking forward to when I get there with Diva.

I have a new therapist through school. He's an actual Doctor. I felt comfortable talking to him pretty much right away. Today was just an assessment. We have our first hour long session next week. I think this is going to work out better than the therapist I have now. I have to terminate that relationship. I'm going to call in a bit and do that. Feeling positive about things, moving forward.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Glad to hear you've now found someone you're more comfortable with.

harpua likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I totally felt comfortable.

How's your therapy going?

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Great. I love my therapist. She told me this week that I should be messaging her more though. The Talkspace app allows you to text between sessions as part of what my insurance pays for weekly, which is amazing.

She told me even to just text her about movies or games I'm enjoying right now. She wants me to have an outlet to focus on things I'm enjoying instead of my depression.

I like her a lot.

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ESA, chilling in the sun, with her toys.

[​IMG]

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My insomnia has been brutal lately. Slept only two hours last night and still can't seem to fall asleep for a nap now. Have all lunch period to try.. we'll see.

My doctor is prescribing an additional medicine to help because I'm already on max Ambien. Ugh.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Insomnia was excruciating for me during the first six weeks after I broke my wrist. It's a little better now that I'm only wearing a splint, but not yet back to normal.
    Never underestimate the importance of a good night's rest

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I slept 1.5 hours over lunch at least bringing me to 3.5 hours in the last 36 hours.

But man I'm struggling. I'm shaking and sweating and generally feeling like ****.

My sleep doctor today prescribed an additional sleep med. We'll see if it helps tonight.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've always got the impression that yours is a lot worse than mine, but the only thing that successfully treated my insomnia was cannabis. Ambien made me freak out and tranquilizers and such just made me feel like **** in the morning.

harpua likes this.