main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Welcome Sith Lord 2015. You are definitely not alone. I have anxiety first and then some depression, but have found that my medications do indeed help a lot. Before them I was having tons of problems coping.

Btw everyone, the cbd oil I am taking mostly for pain definitely seems to help my mood.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    So I’m due to be at the hospital in 3.5 hours, and I can’t sleep, as expected. I’ve had surgeries before, but they were always internal. I didn’t look any different afterward. I’m kind of worried about how i’ll react to seeing my incisions, etc. one guy I know actually passed out when he saw his chest for the first time. Another one burst into tears. Not that i’m expecting to look like a GQ model right out of the gate or at all, it’s just that such a big change might be overwhelming.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Nerves are to be expected in these circumstances I would think. Everyone in your position will have been a bit scared, the doctors will be used to it. I think the important thing to remember is that you're moving your life in the direction you want, which is a very positive thing. I think you've already shown great courage in taking charge of your life, big changes are so hard to do.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I hope everything goes well with your surgery and that you can wake up and feel better with the way your body looks. :)

Master_Rebado and poor yorick like this.
  5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's going to be new, and what you're going to see will not be the final result, just you still in the process of physically healing from a major surgery with permanent consequences. It's perfectly normal to be nervous and emotional in such circumstances, and it will be okay to feel overwhelmed in the moment.

And after the moment has passed, you'll have all the decades yet to come :)

Master_Rebado and Juliet316 like this.
  6. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Thanks guys ... i’m Actually not all that concerned with how my body looks. I’m 46, and I’m fine with not being “hot” or anything. It’s more the way my body feels, and the way others react to me based on how it looks. If I never get another “miss” or “sweetheart” i’ll Be very happy.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    On Wed I picked up the SW Insider: 2019 Special Edition and it is primarily about the women of Star Wars. In an article titled 'Carrie Fisher: The First Lady of SW' there is a quote from Carrie Fisher explaining bipolar disorder to a young boy at Indiana Comic Con in 2015:
    It's kind of a virus of the brain. It makes you go very fast or very sad. Or both. Those are fun days. And so judgement isn't one of my big good things. But I have a good voice. I can write well. I'm not a good bicycle rider. So I'm just like anyone else - only louder, faster, and sleeps more.

8. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Sooo . . . yeah. The power went out at the hospital where I'm having surgery. The surgeon is currently saying that they'll get to me today, but it could be like . . . a while. Most annoying atm is hunger and especially thirst. I'm on an IV, so I'm not actually going to dehydrate, but I wish I could put water in my mouth.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Holy cow >_>

Ng. Here's hoping for a speedy resolution.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That sucks. Hope it gets sorted out pretty quickly. I hope they have a generator to support those already in surgery or on ICU machines.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's awful luck, py.:(

12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ask if they'll let you swish some water around in your mouth. I've done that, pre-surgery, before.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Arrrrrrg whyyy! That is terrible Ben. I hope they get to you soon. I had my recent surgery at 1:30 and was so thirsty, so I get it :(

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I spoke to Ben at like 4:30 in the morning when I happened to be up taking my puppy out, and he was able to get his surgery in! Says things are going well and he's probably going home today. I am sure he will post soonish but I just wanted to let the gang here know in case you were wondering.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's good to hear. I'm glad he was able to get his surgery.

17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Thanks for the good news! :)

18. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Glad to hear that pooryorick was able to get surgery going and also now for a good result with it and then he can start recovery :)

@LAJ_FETT - Carrie indeed was so good with words and her open nature to who she was and how she was was of course endearing and down to earth.

Was dismayed that when she passed so many were trying to make out she was not to be fondly remembered.

Don't want to go off topic but lastly,is it not those amongst us who have the heaviest health burdens that would then be likely to fall into the traps of drugs etc?

Does not make that person "bad" makes them fallible and human.

19. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Thanks for all your well-wishes, folks! Surgery started 6 hours late, but went off without a hitch otherwise. I'm in minimal pain and can be more active than I expected. My family gave me this card with a treasure chest on it that says, "Congratulations on your new chest." Lol!

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I love your family.

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday morning. I arrive at 7:30, but I bet it will be an hour or so of waiting around and getting ready from there. My husband should be able to pick me up and take me home at noon. Then for 4-6 weeks I'll be on crutches, in a brace for 4 weeks. So no driving, lots of going crazy in my house. But that's not the worst part. The worst part is my F ing insurance that allows me 20 physical therapy sessions per calendar year. So they already signed me up for 11, but that only gets me until March 13th and I can't do any normalish sport activities until 12-16 weeks after surgery. So I get 0% assistance in returning to sports and I honestly know I can't do this on my own. I will go too fast. Like no matter how hard I try to hold back I'll think I'm feeling good and assume it's okay to do something I shouldn't be doing. Yea, so I am freaked out about 4 months from now, but trust me it's a totally rational fear. I want to come back at the proper pace and not get injured again. So Friday when I see my physical therapist and have to present all this to her, that's going to be "fun". I actually wrote her a letter, because I don't want her to think I'm just nuts because I'm hopped up on pills from the surgery. And I know I will cry if I talk about this and I will probably cry at this appointment anyway, so the fact that I wrote it all down in a nice typed letter before the surgery either makes me look more crazy or proves I really want help. I dunno.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  23. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Writing a letter to the physical therapist sounds like a good idea. That way you can tell them all your concerns and they can keep it in your file to refer back to. I'm really hoping you get what you want and need out of this next round of treatment, @Runjedirun ! Also, I totally get nervously counting down the days to surgery. I'd been doing that for months. My therapist had me listen to YouTube guided meditations toward the end, when I was really starting to freak out. I found it helpful.

24. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

[​IMG]

:):):):)

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Runjedirun and soitscometothis like this.