main
side
curve

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Lordban, I'm curious, if I may ask, how do you think your manipulative nature relates to your mental health? I guess I'm struggling a little to grasp why you decided this was the right thread to post all that in. What are you seeking?

2. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I didn't read it, because it was clearly for ct. it probably should have been a pm.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. Lordban

Lordban Chosen One star 6

Nov 9, 2000
    @harpua - Not only, but his post provided a platform to let off a good number of other things weighing on my chest...

@solojones - I was more veering away from a response starting on another topic to let off my chest how I'm constructed, and it included why I have some difficulty seeing myself as human, and difficulty understanding how other people respond in direct interactions, despite being quite capable of "modelizing" personalities and entire crowd behaviors.

As to what I was seeking? Like mentioned above, beyond needing to let things off my chest, and not to a psychiatrist for the Nth time, I don't really know. I'm very much lost...

4. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    In my experience, psychiatrists don't listen as well as psychologists.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with that for sure.

Well I hope you felt you at least got some things out Lordban.

6. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I did. Thanks.

Would that psychologists were recognized as medical professionals here... [face_plain]

7. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    They're not medical professionals though... psychiatrists are. Psychologists are there to listen to you, psychiatrists want you to listen to them.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah psychiatrists are just there to give me and adjust my medicines. If my primary care doctor would write those, I wouldn't see a psychiatrist.

I don't currently have a psychologist and probably should. But I'm not sure how to fit that in with working and the rest of life...

9. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    A lot of therapists do skype appointments now.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 5, 2011
    I read all of it, but I do want to stick to the rules of the thread because, while I don't have a lot of respect for anything or anyone, I do have some respect for Yorick and this thread. I'll try to limit my response to what I think falls within the spirit of the rules of the thread.

I haven't really seen anything in your posts that requires some sort of explanation for your personality or behavior. You are quite well behaved. You are not actually socially awkward here on the JCC. The only time you've ever been socially awkward has been when you've indulged your shtick. It's calling attention to something no one would have noticed otherwise.

It's needless insistence on separating yourself from everyone else. Even if you are separate or feel separate from everyone else, if you shout it from rooftops, it only serves to separate you more.

This one's easy. Pride. It's hard for a lot of people to admit when they're wrong. Yeah, you'd think the JCC would involve little risk, but some people are self-conscious about it, anyway. I've seen a lot of people get really upset about their e-reputation. It's just how a lot of people are.

In the JCC, we've all experienced people simply unwilling to ever concede anything. I've done been that way myself, though experience here has really helped me in that regard.

This is fine. I haven't even noticed any sort of brutality from you. You're actually relatively tame. You're no Ender Sai or anything. You can let yourself off the hook if you're feeling any guilt over that.

As for the rest of your post, I did read all of it, and I had some questions, but I suppose you answered them well enough. I'm glad you got it off your chest. Believe it or not, your experience reminded me somewhat of my own, so at times it was easy to empathize with. My experience is perhaps not as extreme as yours, but there are things we share. I think I should leave it at that.

poor yorick, Jedi Ben and Lordban like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Had to cancel tonight's date as I mentioned in the besties thread because I had an axiety flare up as I was about to leave. Guy hasn't said anything so I don't know how pissed he is.

Ugh it's just really hard dating when you have anxiety and are a sexual assualt survivor. I get anxiety probably half the times I try to go on first dates.

12. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    How did you cancel? What did you say?

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I texted, which is how we'd been communicating. I said I wasn't feeling well, which is true. And that maybe we could just get dinner later this week, which I hope we can.

Lordban, Chewgumma, PCCViking and 4 others like this.
  14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Force Ghost star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't know if he ended up responding, but if he hasn't then I can reassure you that you've done nothing wrong. We all get sick, and everyone has bad days, even without suffering from anxiety attacks or having gone through the trauma that you have. So any reasonable grown up shouldn't be upset that you requested to postpone the first date slightly. If he doesn't get back in touch with you then that says more about him than it does about you, to be awfully blunt.

So try not to beat yourself up about what happened. If you don't hear back from him then I'm sure you'll find someone more understanding. I mean, you've boasted about all the amazing suitors you've matched with online so far. I'm pretty sure you're bound to connect with Mr Right eventually! :p

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Juliet316, harpua and Lordban like this.
  15. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Too accurate...

[​IMG]

16. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  17. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    For a while, my dad kept asking me what was up with this depression thing. I sent him those Hyperbole and a Half comics, and I think he got it after that.

18. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    A lot of people don't get depression, and think it's just sadness or being bummed out about something. It's confusing to people that depression is often a complete lack of emotion... sadness is sadness, but depression is something different entirely.

Chewgumma and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Force Ghost star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think the reason that people often think depression means sadness is because the word "depressed" has been co-opted to mean just that. For the longest time it's been synonymous with feeling upset. You hear it used in such terms on a daily basis. People will always talk about how depressed they feel today, when in actuality they mean that they're a little upset about something that's going on in their life.

That's where the confusion about depression seems to stem from. When well meaning friends and family are offering advice about depression, they don't understand that they're ignorant about what depression actually is. They're trying to help tackle depression as they've been conditioned to define it.

Even some professionals that should know better get the definitions mixed up from time to time. One of the most frustrating things to happen to me this year is when my social workers asked me about the things I enjoy to do and why don't I pursue my hobbies, to which I explained to them in rather curt fashion that I don't really enjoy anything anymore.

There really needs to be more resources like those Hyperbole and a Half comics to explain exactly what depression is, because they're invaluable.

Jedi Ben, harpua and Lordban like this.
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    And conversely, you're going to get people who think you're just being plain antisocial or lazy, and entirely missing that what's going on is depression. "You aren't depressed, you just need to start doing something!" (What are you trying to do, make me care about something after all, which is going to be just how much you don't care?)

Juliet316, harpua and Chewgumma like this.
  21. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    My least favorite question.... "What are you depressed about?" ugh... people mean well, and are just trying to understand what's going on, but that question is awful--just makes me feel alienated, because it's almost always difficult to answer.

Juliet316 and Chewgumma like this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's always difficult to explain an emotion which has no real basis in logic but is simply its own thing, and it makes you feel even worse if you don't really understand it yourself.

23. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is a good piece from psychology today...

"Sadness is a normal human emotion. We’ve all experienced it and we all will again. Sadness is usually triggered by a difficult, hurtful, challenging, or disappointing event, experience, or situation. In other words, we tend to feel sad about something. This also means that when that something changes, when our emotional hurt fades, when we’ve adjusted or gotten over the loss or disappointment, our sadness remits."

"Depression colors all aspects of our lives, making everything less enjoyable, less interesting, less important, less lovable, and less worthwhile. Depression saps our energy, motivation, and ability to experience joy, pleasure, excitement, anticipation, satisfaction, connection, and meaning. All your thresholds tend to be lower. You’re more impatient, quicker to anger and get frustrated, quicker to break down, and it takes you longer to bounce back from everything."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ant-difference-between-sadness-and-depression

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  24. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    @harpua - did you solve your medication trouble? Sorry if this sounds stupid or so but as much as I try to learn about it, I still don't get the US health care (or that what's called health care).

A personal thing: I had an appointment with my therapist the week before. After my last therapy with weekly meetings I don't have a regular schedule anymore. I call him whenever I think it would be a good time. This time was interesting. Last month I've got the flu and learned that you just have to chance a small thing in my life and I go full strength into anxieties, mood swings, depression and co. During our talk we figured out that these effects still are about my unhealthy thinking of perfection. I thought that I didn't perform like I should and that ended in all symptoms and my behavior. Needless to say that I *did* all my work, didn't miss a deadline and all.

Right now I'm waiting for my monthly breakdown. I really want an additional medication that prevents this from happening.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  25. harpua

harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, medication issue isn't solved yet, but I'm working on it. I've been making the meds I have stretch by taking it, first, every other day, and now, every two days. I've got six doses left. So yeah... I'm going to run out, but hopefully I'll get insurance soon and wont be out for long.