main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mercy Reef: The Aquaman TV series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by weezer, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It may of been a bit of both. Being that its from the Smallville guys its a sure thing they got more then some of the idea from their own show ;)

On Entourage the main character got a role in the Aquaman movie directed by James Cameron. Just that simple.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    lol. that would be something to see. James Cameron doing an Aquaman movie. or any comic book character movie for that matter

3. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It was actually based on real rumors.

Cameron has looked into two comic movies at various times. One was Aquaman and the other was Fathom. Both take advantage of his newfound, almost annoying, love for all things aquatic.

His next movie is a comic movie. In a round about way though. ;)

4. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, the whole second season of Entourage is based around Vincent Chase getting the role of Aquaman. He doesn't want it at first, but when he finds out James Cameron is going to direct it, he really wants it. And by the end of the second season, with James Cameron playing himself, Cameron really makes Aquaman sound like a damn cool movie. I mean, he sells me on movie, I think I can't be sold on.

Anyway, at the end of Season 2, we see a billboard that says, "James Cameron's Aquaman: Summer 2006". That was last summmer. Cut to now, and I can't wait to see what happens when the film opens. On HBO. starting June 11.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    OK, maybe I misunderstood. By "Waterhand" I mean that he reached back and made these balls of water (like in the old Super Friends Cartoons) to blast Clark with.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I'm talking about when he used water to magically take the shape of his hand. Before the hook (or was it after?) . . .

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    After. When ole hook hand lost its appeal they went back to orange and green with the short hair and gave him the water hand instead of just retconning out the loss of the hand.

Now they retconned it out though :p

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    An early promotional image for the show has hit the net:

[image=http://www.aquamantv.com/pilotphoto.jpg]

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    So there seems to be some question whether this will end up on the CW this fall or not [face_thinking]

We'll find out for sure on May 18th when CW has its first upfront.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i wonder why they're hesitant now about releasing it. there seemed to be a lot of hype around it earlier

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Don't know. It was just one article that mentioned it. Everything else is still pointing to it.

There are a lot of questions surounding CW's new line up. No one really seems to know.

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    It's interesting that the article still refers to it as Aquaman. I don't think this Mercy Reef name is sticking.

13. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm not too familiar with Aquaman. I just know the basics: That he is basically an environmentalist who has some wicked powers in the water and wants to protect the ocean. So I can say that I'm looking forward to this series.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I like Aquaman after doing some research for him in the comic draft. He seems like a wrongly maligned bad ***. I could never get into Smallville but I'll take another shot with this.

And the water hand is cool, it's a portable plot device :)

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Kryptonsite is saying, definatively, that Aquaman is sunk.

We'll find out for sure on Thursday the 18th but again, according to them, Smallville will be back but Aquaman won't get picked up.

16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Can't say I'm really surprised with CW's decision if Mercy Reef doesn't make it onto TV.

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Boy I am. It was a shoe in. Websites were already covering it, magazines were already covering it, seemed like there was some buzz there.

Oh well, I'm sure it will hit DVD some day.

Or maybe its something they're picking up mid-season.

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Smallville's coming back? I thought they were ending that.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm not that surprised either that Aquaman won't be surviving

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You must not of seen the cliffhanger season finale :p

Why is that?

It seemed like even though there were always jokes and "what are they thinking comments" there was the hints of something that would be interesting.

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Ok, now that I've seen some of it, I really don't get it. 8-}

Is it the coolest, bestest thing in the world ever? No, of course not.

It does look like it would be a fun and entertaining ride though, you obviously couldn't do that weekly as jet fuel isn't as cheap as it used to be.

I still wonder if it isn't on tap as a mid season replacement or something [face_thinking]

Here is the trailer (via Yousendit) I'm not sure if this is the one that was originally slated to go with SR, I'm assuming they aren't going to have that anymore but like I said, looks decent enough to me.

Edit: Have a direct link for an iPod version. (right click, save as)

Not that I think all of you are dying to have it on your ipod. Its just the only way I could figure out to get it down to a size where I could host as a direct download on my crappy 10mb web space.

Edit 2: There is something else going on here. I just stumbled across the trailer on a different forum but it got out because CW hadn't taken it off their website yet. In fact, as of this morning people were still accessing the Aquaman site at CW. Its gone now but why would you spend the whole morning taking that stuff down when it could of been done before hand. o_O

If you were curious it was going to get the Wed 9:00 P.M. timeslot which was taken by One Tree Hill.

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I just saw the trailer/commercial on youtube.com. Looks like it would've been interesting.

23. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Yeah, I saw that. I spend all that time figuring out how I could host it and I didn't even think of youtube :p

After seeing it I think you have to think they've got some plan for it. Maybe they'll save it for a back door pilot later in the season.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    interesting trailer/preview. it would've been an interesting show

25. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Let us hope it will get picked up by another network.
    Here's a petition to save the show
    http://www.petitiononline.com/MRCW0518/petition.html

Now I know petitions don't usually amount to much but who knows. It can;t hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.