main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Merging the Amphitheatre and YJCC (back) together. (Now talking about where sports go)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tabula Rasa, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    . they're questions. Just for asking people upfront if they think the administration is corrupt is not any of those. If they disagree, simply, "No." That's it.

That's an example of a poorly written question.

So you guys can call bias, bla bla bla whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, that's just spinning to destabilize the survey's cred due to your point-of-view, or bias.

It has no credibility whatsoever, and I'm simply pointing that out. It is what it is, which is a list of poorly written questions given to a unrandomized group of members, many of whom may know little to nothing about the subjects they were being asked about, yet whose answers are being counted as equal with those who know a great deal about a subject. That's called a biased sample, among other things. That alone would disqualify your survey. You're applying your results to a JCC-specific subject, yet many of the people who took your survey no doubt spend no time in the JCC and are uninformed about it, yet again, their answers count the same as anyone else's.

And I'm getting soot in the face for it.

Better than what you would get in a Stats class. Actually, you wouldn't be allowed to use the survey as is. You'd have to make such major changes that end result might not bear much resemblence to the original. I appreciate that you're trying to do something, but at the same time, I'm not going to stand by and let you use your data as anything more meaningful than your own opinion.

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
  3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    sport forum advocates: what actually COULD entail a compromise? that you can make, say, an 'angels beat the yankees' thread? or a 'eddy curry traded to new york' thread? why are these necessary if they can easily be discussed in the baseball thread, or an NBA thread -- where everyone who is actually interested in baseball, or basketball, can comment on it, as an ongoing community? what other threads would you like to see that don't easily fit into the official sport-related threads? i would imagine that they are all already allowed anyway under the current system, thus negating the need, or even possibility, of a compromise.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    epic has it.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002

Out of the near 150 users who were polled, I'd say roughly half were in favor of a sports forum, meaning that they would most definitely be in favor of a compromise since the sports forum idea was passed over.[hr][/blockquote]

Just to expand on what KW is saying, this particular question is completely useless, as it is a loaded question. The correct question should have been "What single thing would improve the JC?". If you had asked that question, and half the people polled said "The JC really needs a sports forum", then your study would have slighly improved credibility (ignoring the fact that your sample set wasn't randomised). That would actually have measured the true independent desire for a sports forum.

As it stands nothing from your study really adds up to much.

Furthermore, you [b]bolded[/b] a previous quote of mine when I stated that only a few users were outspoken. A poll of 150 users doesn't even begin to poll the entire JC which is honestly the only way a poll will be of any use.

As KW said, I'm happy that you are showing genuine interest, I'm just telling you now that you will never be able to quote the results of your poll in Comms as representative of the views of the JC.

6. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    Coruscant, is this what your questionnaire was for?

:confused:

If that's the case, I would not have participated because I honestly don't care about sports.

You can take my answers out of your "statistics".

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh great. Now because the discussion has been blown way out of proportion, people are beginning to think it was solely about that one question. Thanks. :rolleyes:

FYI, TSW, no. Simply no.

8. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    We were going to discuss various ideas which we did, and came to the conclusion that nothing needs changing. We don't *have* to find a comprimise just because a few users would like us to do.

Ah, thank you. *smiles* That's what I was wondering about. So the official answer after discusson is 'no'. All right then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.