main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Merlin - Keep the Magic Secret (British tv series) - Lots of Spoilers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by dianethx, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    ^Yes, we will. :)

bbc.co.uk/merlin/faq/show

Will there be a second series of Merlin?

Merlin has been re-commissioned for a second series by Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning and BBC One Controller Jay Hunt.

2. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    I am not sure if i am going too watch it or not. Its good news anyway.

3. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009
    I am not sure if i am going too watch it or not. Its good news anyway.

Sorry, double post.

4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Chanel Ten here in Australia are ramping up the promotion for Merlin, shame I've already watched the first series...

5. Sven_Starcrown

Mar 10, 2009
    Just finished it.

Final judgment:

Mediocre, but i didnt mind watching it.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I have just found this show and I'm already addicted. I wasn't patient enough to wait for the episodes to air on NBC so I've already watched the season on youtube. And I'm totally psyched for the second season. :D

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm fairly surprised this thread hasn't been active since the second season started.

Any Merlin fans out there?

I love the show.
    Getting better and better. ;)

8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I've only seen the first episode of the second series which wasn't a brilliant episode so I hope it does get better...

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    It does. :)

I've found they changed the entire atmosphere of the show. The first thing that I noticed was the Soundtrack. Completely new, sometimes even heartfelt music. The acting is way better compared to the first season and even in the midst of all the drama, there's tons of humor.

Last episode had me laughing out loud.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where the show takes us.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I just started watching Merlin thanks to a friend's recommendation, and it's pretty good. :D I have to say I've seen better TV shows - this one feels a bit like those late-90s series where every episode features a Big Bad which I find tiring - but the characters are funny, the acting's good, and Prince Arthur is good-looking. Worth watching, overall.

11. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Great start for the second season. The last two episodes (#3 & 4) was all I had wished for and more. I like the fact that the last two episodes focused more on Morgana, and even Gwen in the last one. It's about time they developed the characterisation for our ladies. It really feels like they've turned up the whole show a couple of notch. Can't wait to see more.

12. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Despite the fact that I cheated and watched all of the second season online, they are finally bringing the second season to the US! SyFy has picked up the rights and will be showing an all day marathon of the first season on March 28th, and starts showing the 2nd season on April 2nd.:D

13. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I just bought the second season on DVD a while ago.

I'm totally looking forward to the third season. I'm addicted to this show. :p

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I have to agree: Robin Hood was the superior series, in that I was (barely) able to finish the first episode. I turned of the first episode of this about 20 minutes in.
    Grotesquely over-rated series. It isn't the complete reworking of the story and characters that bothered me, but the terrible film style and chinzy, poorly executed, utterly bogus effects. Neither show could make up it's mind about going for historical grit, or going for fairy-tale clean, so they half-assedly tried and failed to do both. Very much a patronizing saturday morning special feel to this show. YUCK!

There's a 'style' of filming that starts from a distance/angle, the film speed slows down to almost 0 as the camera zooms into something (usually a person), and then slowly pans/circles around that object, then pulls out as film speed starts to return to normal. Very modern, very trendy, very distracting and annoying.

As for Robin Hood, the first episode's title if very appropriate. "Will You Tollerate This?" My answer was 'No.' Finished the first episode, but had no interest is watching further. All the fight choreography was strictly glamor shots. Why do you have to show us the same 3 seconds or the same jump from 3 different angles? Couldn't you just have picked on and gotten on with it. I'd have been a lot more impressed if they'd just shown the neat stunt and moved on without having to hang a lantern on it.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think Robin Hood got better as it went on. I haven't really followed season 2 of Merlin, but season 1 had serious flaws... but it was good for some time wasting. Which I had a whole lot of last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.