main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Meta-Narrative in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

A lot has been said about the Meta-Narrative about the Star Wars trilogy.

Be it that it is ACTUALLY a big thumbs up to Fans when it comes to the Last Jedi (Despite what people say)

Or how Rey is actually a representation of a Star Wars fan dealing with the loss of the EU (A strange one I know but watch the video to understand)

Or many other things we can talk about when it comes to the Narrative of the Sequel Trilogy such as Force Awakens being a narrative about Kathleen Kennedy taking over from Lucas, etc, etc….So I’d like to talk about here and get insight into what everyone else thinks about the Meta-Narrative of the Sequel Trilogy. Especially if you are into that sorta meta discussion.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I don’t buy it as the primary intention at all but like a lot of writing these days there’s certainly some meta elements there.

I do love the confidence of that video. That guy should be a defence attourney. His closing statement would exude casual confidence.

There is definitely a meta quality to the ST that exists and because it exists it opens the door for someone to take that to the next level and theorize like he did that it’s all about fans but for me the meta elements are restricted to:

1) That these are films made by people who grew up with the OT and who are perhaps under instruction to attempt almost a soft reboot of the OT to win back casual fans who left via the PT and outnumber the remaining hard core OT fans who also liked the PT. They get away with it as almost WWII folllowing WWI.

2) It’s perfectly logical that after 30 years that new generations of people in the GFFA would see the old heroes as war heroes and legends.

3) Since it’s written by people who grew up with the films and since they want to try and stay ahead of us they try to use some of our own Star Wars trope knowledge/expectations against us so that there are still some surprises. As tropes are archived so easily online now viewers have perhaps never been more aware of tropes than ever before. Writers always want to stay ahead of viewers so if viewers are starting to use writing knowledge to predict than some writers are anticipating that, too, and subverting it.

That’s where I think it starts and ends though. I don’t think the characters are meant to represent what he thinks or many of the other leaps of intent he makes in that video.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  3. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Together, TFA and TLJ do tell a pretty comprehensive story about the role of heroes and legends in our psyche and how these tall tales match up with reality. It's definitely most evident with Luke, but it's definitely everywhere throughout the story. Kylo and Vader. Definitely stuff with Leia and Han too.

I really like it because I think it does a lot of work in making the ST feel like a proper spiritual continuation of the OT rather than just something tacked on 30 years later. I could definitely say more but i'm gonna leave it there for rn :)