main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Vizzy91

Vizzy91 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2018
    At least it's not like Rebels vs TCW debates. Either way, both the multimedia project and TCW made the prequels some of the best Star Wars content out there

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    For me, there is no need for debate, because each series is uniquely good in its own way. I watched one of the original CW shorts yesterday, and it reminded me how much I anticipated seeing new content and wished they were longer. It equally reminded me how exaggerated they were at times, but that helped them feel more like lore, compared to TCW, which spelled things out in greater detail. What I'd love, is to see FOD (if it continues) to be closer to the original CW shorts - they'd likely make a bigger impact on fandom.

Vinylshadow, cwustudent and Vizzy91 like this.
  3. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    How would you say that can be accomplished?

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't think it can be accomplished in a CG 2D flash animation. What Disneyfilm could do is hire a traditional 2D Japanese animation studio to make an anime version of the Lost Stars manga. Something that would appeal to young adult viewers. I'm sure it would be very popular, and could start a new thing for Star Wars, animation adaptations of novels and comics.

5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It wouldn't need to be as expansive and dynamic as CW, just a broader scope would satisfy me. For example, instead of a core hero saving a kitten, we could see them during an actual mission. There are plenty of untold stories for female Jedi during the CW era. I'd even like to see someone like Shaak Ti, post ROTS, to develop an exile story.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi @Vizzy91 welcome to the boards! I'm not sure if you had a technical issue earlier or you don't know how to edit. If it's the latter just press the little edit button under your post to change things. But definitely don't post more than once in a row. GL, and happy posting. [face_peace]

7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    As mentioned the Republic comic series is superb. It shiws Anakin and Obi-Wan's story through the war, as well as Quinlan Vos' who was an original character creaed in the pre Clone Wars issues. There's also the Jedi and Obsession mini series which will be in any Clone Wars collection. Jedi looks at the war from the perspective of a different Jedi each of five issues. Obsession concludes some stories from Republic and begins leading into ROTS.

In terms of books Shatterpoint is spectacular and a must read. Even if one isn't looking specifically for Clone Wars material this is worth looking at. It adds a lot if depth to Mace Windu and is a great reflection on what it means to be a Jedi during a war. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is a great Yoda and Dooku story. It adds a lot of depth to those characters and is a fun read. It's a good look at the Jedi late war. It also has a good Obi-Wan and Anakin scene. Medstar Duology is one I love, but it doesn't get much attention. It's very underrated. It's about Barris Offee working with a medical unit on a planet that's the site of a long running battle. Labyrinth of Evil is the lead in to ROTS and is fantastic. It is the best Anakin and Obi-Wan novel. The book successfully ties up the multimedia project and leads into ROTS. It contradicts the microseries, but this version of events is way more interesting. It is weird reading this after TCW because the characterization of Anakin and Obi-Wan is pretty much the same but they exist firmly in different continuities. They could be made to fit, but the book references so much of the multimedia project and has that time line so firmly in line, it feels awkward.

The Cestus Deception is okay. Nothing particularly bad, but nothing stands out as really good or necessary. It's cool to so Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan is handled well. It's the first book that humanizes the clones which is significant. I do like the conversation between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the beginning. Then there's Jedi Trial which is pretty bad and I don't recommend. However, if you want to read the whole multimedia project it may be a good idea to read. But you don't need to know jow Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight. So it isn't really essential.

The Republic Commando series is really well done. It does a lot to flesh out the clones. However, only the first book is part of the multimedia project. The timelines still fit fine.

I know I pretty much recommened everything, but it's a great set of stories. Tbh the microseries is no where near the best of the project. I prefer most of the other stories; they are really good and have so much depth. Any comparison with TCW needs to take them into account to be fair. Without the rest of the stories I find TCW far better. When both viewed as a whole, I like them both about the same. I think for different reasons; idk it's difficult for me to compare. This is why I don't try to reconcile them. They both told their own stories with their own internal timelines. I feel like the plot progression is weakened when they're combined. It works and isn't too hard to get every event to fit, but the stories themselves flow better with their own original progression. I think anyone who loves the prequels era should see both. They're both so much fun and it's cool to see how TCW was influenced by the multimedia project.

AusStig, spicer, MrDarth0 and 2 others like this.
  8. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

9. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah. I mean that I love both and that both versions are stories I can frequently revisit and still be engaged. The multimedia project's influence was neutral to good. Assajj came from the Republic comics and her popularity led to her inclusion in TCW. But there are even connections that weren't neccessarily due to the multimedia project's influence.For example, while Anakin's story in both versions is very different, they both hint at his fall through exploring similar themes. They even characterize him in similar ways. The two versions of the war are very interesting to compare in an analytical sense.

10. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    A fan was able to upload a high quality 1080p video of volume 1. Working on volume 2 and the dvd extras soon. They seem to be from a fan project that is remastering the series.

[Video removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No posting pirated material. That includes fan edits of entire works.

12. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Ah, fair enough. Shame, but understandable. I have to say, watching the series in HD was mind-blowing. The action and colors were so crisp and vibrant, hopefully an official release is done one day.

As much as I appreciate the quality and work of Lucas, Filoni and the Lucasfilm animation team put into The Clone Wars, there is something so visceral and visually striking about the original cartoon.

13. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Even though I love the 3D art in TCW, the 2D art in 03 version was, in my opinion, the best 2D art I have ever seen out of a cartoon show.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Micro-series is aesthetically much better, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Darth__Lobot and El_Machete12 like this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Have you all seen Joe Hogan's animated Clone Wars fancomic 'Siren of Dathomir'? We can post that here instead :). Its like the Microseries mashed with TCW elements.

I've been waiting years for his sequel 'Panic over Muunilinst'. Trailer 3 is awesome.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Why is it for me the pictures are all black?

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Sounds like a issue with your browser, what are you using? Those are embedded youtube videos not pictures. Can you see videos on youtube.com?

18. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    You know looking back. I was being to hurah on the 2003 clone wars.

I persoanl consider volume 1 events that happen before The clone wars and volume two after season 6 of The Clone wars.

Really it will depend on star wars clone season 7. Throw i have a odd feeling that it will just show Anakin and Obi'wan leaving and going to save Palpatine. I have a feeling they won't show Palpatine's capture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

19. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I think you may be right. At the same time, I'm not so sure. Narratively, they'll need to show something of the attack on Coruscant. Otherwise, it will be kind of random. Ahsoka, Anakin, and Obi-Wan are fighting on Mandalore and then then all of the sudden there's an emergency we've heard nothing about. Yes, we know it's coming, but from the story within TCW we don't and they have to work with the internal story. They can't just tell us the invasion happened because they assume the audience saw ROTS.

They could easily have the first episode be focused on Ahsoka, Anakin, and Obi-Wan getting ready for the Seige of Mandalore and it's beginning. The next episode or two can continue the battle while Grievous attacks Coruscant. Once Palpatine is captured, Anakin and Obi-Wan are recalled to Coruscant. Then the last episode or two focuses on Ahsoka fighting Maul, Order 66, and its immediate aftermath. A four episode arc is essentially a two hour movie, not much shorter than the average Star Wars film. They have more than enough time to show both battles.

I'm not sure they'll actually do this. There's a good chance you're right. I think that would be a mistake. But we'll see. Either way, I'm bound to enjoy it since I'm a fan of their work.

20. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Yeah honsetly, i don't know what will happen?
    I can see it going both ways.

Heck they chould so some of the attack in Coruscant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

21. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, it is hard to say. I hope they do show it. But if not, I can't complain, I feel lucky the show it returning at all. I'm happy to see the conclusion and for them to be able to finish the show they put so much into. They have done a fantastic job so far.

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  22. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    In my opinion the 2003 clone wars is better because it does a better job with the continuity between the prequel films.

AusStig and Darth__Lobot like this.
  23. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Both are amazing in their own way. While I think the 2008 show has offered countless unforgettable Star Wars moments, I think there's an open secret that there are a lot of sub-par episodes in the mix.

The 2003 series is more concise and consistent, and does a lot in its far shorter duration.

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    There's also the fact that the 2008 TCW was originally being made as a sort of sequel to the 2003 CW. That's why Anakin is already a Knight and has a scar, Obi-Wan and Anakin already met Ventress, the Jedi know who Grievous is, etc.

Back in 2008, the 2003 show was still considered canon and Dave Filoni was trying his best to make his show fit with what came before.

Mia Mesharad and Prequelfan93 like this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    A spiritual sequel, not exactly meant to be in continuity with the micro-series. Lucas distinguished both from the beginning.