main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Depends on if you had a tv box, or just the regular three channels :p
    It was available online though?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, yeah, we only had Channels 1,2 and 4 too. I watched Clone Wars at a friend's house. :p
    As for online, I might be misremembering here, but I'm pretty sure the episodes could be viewed as low quality QuickTime videos on starwars.com at the time.

TetsuAero likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's hard to do a Versus because even though both shows are Star Wars in the Clone Wars they're so tonally different. However, if one wanted to do a VS, CW series is basically a movie (two parts = just under two and a half hours) and compare it to the theatrically released the Clone Wars movie, I'd go with the CW miniseries.

The stylistic touches in CW movies are so extremely pronounced that it's fun to watch because it gets so crazy in it's style. I love the shot of Shak-Ti just narrowly missing the subway speeders on the Courscant action scene. Grevious' introduction is a full-on mech horror movie like something out of Alien. Anakin is off on weirdly violent vision quests. The alien folks he saves in Part II suddenly remind me of the Na'Vi from Avatar even though Avatar came out years later. But Blue space Cats!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Darth__Lobot likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    TCW just had more of a plot for me. I prefer some talking in my action

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  5. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    In my book, story, character, plot are not optional. Cosmetics will never make a show for me. CW2003 was virtually tailor-made for me to dislike. I actually give it partial blame for my not giving TCW2008 a chance for several years after its launch.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I have never been able to compare these shows head to head even though they belong to the same franchise. Genndy's Clone Wars vs The Clone Wars is way too Apples to Oranges.

I mean Genndy's Clone Wars is a Genndy Tartokovasy show and that guy has never done bog-standard action cartoons. CW is somewhere in between Samurai Jack and Symbiotic Titan (one of the most underrated animated shows that have ever existed. Just go watch it!) but very condensed. Genndy's Clone Wars' is 2D action-packed shorts with typical linear narration. It's fun to watch, pleasing to the eye, and doesn't require much of a time investment. There is a good story too. At the time of its release, it just leads into ROTS for its conclusion.

The Clone Wars on the other hand really at its core feels exactly like a 90s action cartoon that comes wrapped to CGI that gets progressively better through its run. TCW has plenty of its own top-quality action and a few contenders for best lightsaber duals in Star Wars. There are always going to be differences just based on what is closer to things represented in the movies such as with Grievous who is obviously much more menacing in Genndy's show. TCW epitomized being about the journey and not the destination although when we finally got the Siege of Mandalore arc TCW ended up having a powerful ending of its own. Given longer run time and just more time in general The Clone Wars, is far more character-driven, political, had more mythology, and just gets way deeper into the timeline moving beyond just its title. TCW tackled so many topics with its snapshot style storytelling and the disconnectedness between episodes that drives in-depth thought and discussion.

These shows just aren't even remotely alike other than TCW stylized characters based on the Genndy Series. They are different animation, different episode lengths, different amounts of episodes, and different tones. Hell TCW changes tones from episode to episode. "Evil Plans" and "Carnage of Krell" exist in the same show. One of many reasons The Clone Wars is in a class of its own which makes it my favorite western animation TV show. It has fantastic rewatch value and as many times as I've seen it I still love watching it. Genndy's Clone Wars is fun to watch, beautiful even but I don't feel compelled to watch it anywhere near as often. It's interesting Symbiotic Titan is not far behind TCW when it comes to my favorite western animation shows and it much more like TCW than either Genndy's Clone Wars or Samurai Jack.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Swashbucklingjedi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It would be nice to get a proper canonical depiction of the invasion of Coruscant and Grievous' kidnapping of Palpatine leading up to ROTS. Or do we just accept that sequence from Tartakovsky's Clone Wars as canon?

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Pretty much this. They barely if ever even speak. Sure the visuals are pretty, but the plot is barely even there.

TetsuAero likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I remember back in the day during the early season’s of TCW how much it was hated. To see it be liked more than the original CW warms my heart

Count Yubnub and TetsuAero like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    right now there is no canonical depiction of the Battle of Courscant so one can slot in the Gendy Clone Wars as what happened (the final shot of the series is literally a pan out to the first shot of ROTS). I mean the only real bump is Obi-Wan and Anakin are informed of the battle of Courscant twice but, hey, they're busy guys. And maybe Grevious fixed his cough and his vocal modulator before the Battle then Mace messed it up again, ah that wacky Mace!

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do like the animation style of both shows. But as I said the thing that takes CW down for me is that it’s story is basically non existent.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  12. 2003 Clone Wars feel more Star Wars than TCW to me

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why do

14. Darth Jedi Ren

Darth Jedi Ren Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2021
    How did I spell this so wrong I meant to say why so?

15. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    Did you just admit to having two accounts? ;)

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I have 10.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Did you think you were not allowed to have multiple accounts

18. TetsuAero

Jan 24, 2008
    I have never contemplated it, but it´s a very shady praxis.
    Plus it explains why you keep double posting :p

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have different accounts as jokes mostly one offs. The reason I was using that one was because I had changed my password and forgotten it so I couldn’t post :p

20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Whaaaaat? The only plots I missed were Windu's and Grievous' two-parters.

One mystery is: why were Yoda and Padme together?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The force willed it I guess. Makes as much sense as Yoda going to negotiate in the first episode of TCW. Literally anyone else on the council could have done that.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    @wmu'14 whenever you finish TCW I would love to know which one you thought was better the 2003 show or the 2008 show

wmu'14 likes this.
  23. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I liked the original Clone Wars as a whole a lot better then TCW TV show as a whole. One arc won't make me say TCW was better.
    But it sounds like I'll be impressed w/ TCW finale arc tho. :) I have a feeling it won't let me down. The Bad Batch arc became one of my favorite TCW arcs.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s a great way to end the show. I agree one arc won’t make it better. However what do you like better about the original CW show? The animation, story or what?

wmu'14 likes this.
  25. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I don't want to get into b/c I don't want to step on too many toes / the wrong toes.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.