main
side
curve
  1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels (or any show vs any other show) bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.
  2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Togruta, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

110 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

207 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host/Teh Mole Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    No problem was just curious.

wmu'14 likes this.
  2. wmu'14

wmu'14 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    This one might be a bit less controversial (and I'll say when TCW does do them, it does them well): I like the bigger battles in 2003. Not that TCW didn't have them. I just feel like you can go arc after arc after arc w/out them. It was a staple of the 2003 series. Not as much in TCW. Probably due to technical limitations or budget? Who knows.

I want to see BATTLES, not skirmishes. They are something that makes SW unique from other action franchises b/c a lot of other franchises don't have a large intergalactic war going on w/ both sides having vast armies.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    darthfettus2015 and Count Yubnub like this.
  3. Lord Sith Harloxzz

Lord Sith Harloxzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2016
    When i was a kid i believed TCW was a continuation of 2003 Clone Wars never believed TCW was more important than 2003 Clone Wars or more canon i think TCW could fit well with 2003 but with a little changes like Ventress being a Rattataki or Grievous having a better role
    i liked 2003 Clone Wars more because had better duels and atmosphere for me i also wished the 2003 Clone Wars episodes had a longer duration

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    wmu'14 likes this.
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    really good way of watching them is edited into vol 1 and 2.
    was hard to choose but chose 2008..tho micro series has some of my favourite moments in the saga that I still hold to be Canon as they're too good not to be

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    What still amazes me is how much content they got into it for each episode's brief runtime. And its all memorable.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    There are a few things where I really think the microseries clearly outdoes the 2008 TCW. One obvious one is that the microseries starts right after AOTC and ends right before ROTS, and thus connects those two movies much better. Another one is the character of Anakin. He's so much like movie-Anakin, and it works better, IMO.

Obviously the animation is much better in the 2008 TCW.

7. Lord Sith Harloxzz

Jun 27, 2016
    TCW was very boring to watch for me when i was a kid never watched the show again until Maul return for like in 2014-2015

Prequelfan93 likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I like the animation although not as much as the 2008 show

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    The 2003 show has better animation than the first season of TCW I'd say, but the later seasons blow it away.

10. wmu'14

wmu'14 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I finished it. It was okay.

I like how Maul's fighting style better matched the movie.
    The clones vs Mandalorians was unique. I liked that battle w/ the jet packs / jettroopers / Gunships/ AT-TE.
    I liked how that battle contrasted w/ the Maul/Ahsoka fight. Good editing.
    I liked the opening battle w/ Obi-Wan & Anakin vs the Seps. Wish TCW had been more of that :(
    I liked the Darth Vader scene
    I liked Ahsoka's conversation w/ Rex just before Order 66

I thought in the end it was nothing unique other then giving Ahsoka's TCW arc an ending. The Siege of Mandalore still didn't really have the scale I was hoping for. I don't care much for Ahsoka & Maul (tho Ahsoka's growing on me) & them being the stars of the arc.........eh.........

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Lord Sith Harloxzz

Jun 27, 2016
    i dislike how Anakin already is in his Episode 3 persona in the TCW movie while in 2003 Clone Wars we see more of AOTC Anakin in both multimedia project and 2003 show we see more of Padawan Anakin

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    TCW just looks really wooden at first

HolyKenobi93 and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The 2003 Micro Series is much better from what I've seen. I've never been able to get through the TCW because there are too many bad/stupid episodes.

I like it because it fits perfectly between AOTC and ROTS and does a lot to make those movies better. Grevious is a dumb throwaway character without the micro-series. It also helps make movie Anakin a better, more believable character.

There's plenty enough plot and characterization if you pay attention. Granted, people seem to need to be hit in the face with this stuff these days. I guess I'm just getting old and crusty

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    The early seasons of TCW were ugly to look at George seems obsessed with CGI and there were better looking CGI cartoons on TV at the time as well such as Jimmy neutron.

I always found it boring and could never get over the continuity problems and retconning Dave and George were causing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2021
  15. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Speaking of the micro series I've noticed the Ithorian Jedi is back in the canon and was killed by Grievous, sadly I can't find any mention of the Tal Jedi being back in canon though ☹️

cwustudent likes this.
  16. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2016
    Probably because of how the Talz were portrayed in the Clone Wars episode "Trespass."

17. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2021
    I prefer the 2008 series because it has more varied and deeper storylines. I also think the micro series goes too OTT with the action at times. However, the micro series has it's own merts.

I agree with this. Asides from the scene were he eats bugs, the micro series captures movie Anakin a lot better than the 2008 series. Matt Lucas sounds a lot more like him and he captures his immaturity.

I also think the 2008 series misses out by not showing Anakin's knighting and other early arcs. Of course under Legends continuity, the micro series was supposed to lead into TCW. But that's no longer the case in current canon.

sxnofthesuns and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2021
    I like both but if I'm honest with myself, I think I prefer the microseries and the MMP. Those were what I grew up with, and like others have mentioned, there's this direct continuity with the movies where we get to see Anakin get knighted, and his growth from Padawan to General. I loved Mat Lucas's interpretation because he does sound a lot more like Hayden.

Darth Baga likes this.
  19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Did a rewatch of Volume 1 after a very long time and its still as good as I remember. In some ways, I enjoy it more than the 2008 TCW. It gives the Clone War a proper grandeur and scale. Many of the battles in TCW, especially in the early seasons, felt really small. Only few dozen clones fighting few dozen droids. That was of course because of budget and technical reasons, but still. Its nice to see hundreds of Republic gunships and fighters in the air, and thousands of soldiers fighting on the ground.

And I still consider Volume 1 and parts of Volume 2 to be part of my "personal canon".

Force Smuggler likes this.