main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Mid-South Con!!!! Memphis Fan Force gets to Participate!!!!! March 28-30, 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Filk is when you change the words to a song and add your own lyrics, keeping the original tune, if I'm not mistaken. Like Weird Al's SW songs.

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Tim B: I can't believe you don't know what filk is...I spent 4 years of college getting my filking B.A. degree.

Okay, that's a lie...I didn't go to college. Guess I filked up.

Man...this is fun...okay, guys...you come up with some.

3. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    What the filk is going on in here?!?

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I went through five filking years of college. I still don't know what the filk "filk" means. Is a possibly a euphemism for....well... you know....

So, then if we really did that La Boheme sketch, then that would be an example of filking? Hmmmmmm.........

5. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    isnt a "filk" what those dudes called stifler's mom in american pie!LOL just kidding

yes im lurking,just popped over to see what was up.

We would definately be interested in working a panel on costuming and prop building.I do build alot of items for costumes.just finished 3 vader cod pcs last night.i can also vaccumform ,sew ,do paintwork and more.

we have members in arkansas and AL and ofcoarse TN that are going to be there.we would like to set up a table,possibly next to you guys.we have computers that run slideshows of pictures from our events.we also have weapons and props and banners.we go all out.

just be sure to send that dude my way incase he's not getting my email.

oh,ill be in memphis this weekend.my sister inlaw lives in collierville.ill be there sat and sunday.
    anything going on?

cya
    skip
    ill email them again,you said the guy's name was jerry?

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Staff a table to promote your group.

Show up, see panels, chat with the guests, play games, filk, enjoy the
    banquette and other festivities, and generally have a good time.

Okay, I could do the above :D

I got an email from a Micheal something another (Sorry, I'm at work and he emailed me at home). I don't know how he got my email, but I emailed him back. So we'll see what he says. He is a SW guy here in Memphis...

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I was leaning towards the booth option. We could do a raffle or something, with the proceeds going to St. Jude, The Shriners' Burn Center, March of Dimes, or some other local charity. Anybody got anything cool they're willing to sacrifice in the name of charity?

We really should do the banquet thing. Unless, of course, it's open buffet. That's where I draw the line. Can't do no buffets. That sneeze guard is definitely NOT very effective, no matter what anyone says!!

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    QGT: NO! Absolutely not! I only have one SW figure and it's mine, you hear me - MINE!!!! [face_devil] 8-} ;)

9. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    *hangs head in shame*

I'm too attached to all of my SW stuff to just give it away...

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I finally heard from someone this morning.They said that they were already working with a local group and wasnt sure if they wanted us as well.

I informed them that I knew you guys were the ones and that im in contact with you almost daily.

I responded to her in hopes that we could set a couple of tables together.I know you guys are getting everything together so having a table with ours would draw alot of people over and help grow your group.We have alot of stuff to dislay and really do draw alot of attention.weve got helmets and props and banners and monitors with slideshows.
    Definately get that fanforce banner.also try to make some poles to hold it up high behind the table.you can put it on the front of the table but if a few people are standing in front of it no-one else can see it.

if they choose not to have us set up a few of us may still come out.who knows

talk to ya later

skip

Im leaving right now to head your way,collierville here i come!

11. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Is it just me or did this conversation take a wrong turn? :)

12. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Yes, Brit...but only just for a second.

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    HI guys - this is the guy from Midsouth Con that is emailing me. I'm copying both his emails in here...

from Michael Kingsley (kingselymichael@hotmail.com)

1st email -
    You FanForce guys probably know all about this, but I just found out about
    it today. Loved the Jet-Powered Beer Cooler.

http://www.asciimation.co.nz

Michael Kingsley
    Memphis, TN

P.S. I am one of the ones responsible for Mid-South Con programming this
    year. Feel free to contact me or Carlin Stuart (crstuart@lunaweb.net) if
    you have any questions.

2nd email-

Here are a few SW-related panels from past and present conventions that you
    may want to consider and/or research. I hope this list helps!

MISSING SCENES FROM STAR WARS
    Did Lucas leave something on the cutting room floor?
    Minicon 30

MAY THE CLONES BE WITH YOU
    The latest part of the Star Wars Saga is 2/3s finished. How's it looking so
    far?
    Loscon 29

LIGHT SABER 101
    Learn what you need to build your own lightsaber!
    Loscon 29

WHEN JEDI AND THE KING RETURN
    The Star Wars saga revolutionized movie-making and marketing. What is the
    Lord of the Rings movie cycle teaching us about Hollywood at the start of
    the 21st century?
    Loscon 29

GEORGE LUCAS: TARNISHED GENIUS?
    What's the deal with the latest Star Wars flick? Has George finally lost his
    cinematic instincts?
    Orycon 24

ARE REBELS GOOD GUYS?
    John Hertz, Sherwood Smith, Sharman DiVono, Scott Beckstead, Francis Hamit
    Loscon 27

STAR WARS: THE UNTOLD TALES
    A long time ago?.the tale that should have been told. What stories do you
    think Lucas should have told in episodes I & II, and whither the Jedi
    universe?
    MarsCon 2003

I'm replying back to him and copying some of you guys - Skip, I don't have your email address. Let me know and I'll try to get all of us together... [face_shocked]

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Rhonda: I just received an email from Dana (no last name provided) from MidSouthCon, and have included a copy below:

Hi,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I just finished a 100 hour work week and got behind in my email. I heard that Chris had to back down for personal reasons. What we had talked anout was having some of you come along in costume when we visit St. Jude's just at the start of the con on Friday at about noon. Michael Sheard of the first series (Admiral Ozzel) will be going to cheer up the kids.

We also had saved an hour in one of the programming rooms for a Star Wars panel during the con, but hadn't worked out any content yet (Of note, those of you who are on the panel get in for 1/2 price)

We hope that your group is still interested, and I would think that the con would be a great advertisement for your group. Most of the people at the con are interested in Star Wars and I bet quite a few would be interested in your group if they knew about it.

Let me know what you think. You are also welcome to come to one of our committee meetings (the next one is Sunday, Feb 9th at 2pm) and discuss plans.

Thanks,

Dana

I just sent a return message. I asked about our table, as well as a table for The Nashville FanForce/501st members. I also asked about the exact format of the forums, as well as a few other things regarding raffles, the giving away of food and drinks, the field-dressing of Gungans in the booths (Ok, I'm kidding about that one. I asked about the field-dressing of Klingons in the the booths.) I think one or more of us should attend the meeting on Feb 9th to get some idea of what this is going to consist. Also, we will need a good idea of who exactly wants to do what at the Con before we go to the meeting, so if you're volunteering for something, we need to know ASAP. Also, if we're planning on giving anything of any sort away at our booth, we need to decide on just what that something will be. This includes buttons, canned drinks, Barbie heads on sticks, a raffle prize, whatever.

Skip: Could you please have everyone in your group who would like to participate in MidSouthCon post something in this thread stating the degree of involvement they're planning? If by any chance they do not honor our requests for your group to have a table, you're more than welcome to join us at our booth. We'll need all the help we could get.

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Tim, let's plan on attending the meeting that Sunday Feb 9th. At least some of us. Let me know and we'll organize. Sounds like we just need to get a panel, I like some that Michael mentioned above and get going. St. Jude's sounds good too, but I have no costume.. :( Skip, how about you guys (and any of our guys who costume) plan on doing the St. Jude's thing for sure, then we can work out a panel. I like a couple of the ones Michael mentions about the story. I think Nashville 501 could just join us in our booth - most potential members would be joining our group. We hope!!!! :)

Tim, what is Dana's email address and we can get this all together maybe.

I replied to Michael (for those of you who I don't have your email addy):

Hi Michael. Me again. Someone called Dana is working with one of our guys Tim. I like the idea of a panel, especially the one about the missing scenes or the clone wars. We'll try to get everyone on the same page and get with you and Dana. What is the deadline for panel topic?

Some of the guys from Nashville's 501 will be joining us at our booth and in going to St. Jude in costume. They may also participate in the panel.

Thanks for your help and we'll be in touch.

Rhonda

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Rhonda: Yeah, we definitely need to merge our research into something a bit more organized. I joined the internet boards at MidSouthCon a few weeks ago, but there's been very little activity. We should plan on going to the meeting in February. I would like to be able to propose and/or commit to our plans for us at this year's convention then. Considering that there would be less than two months till the convention after that meeting, the rest of the time would be spent nailing out the final details, researching and preparing for our panel, making costumes, preparing our working lightsabers so that if the Klingons give us any crap we can whack 'em....., you know, convention stuff. Oh and Dana's address is 3bridges@charter.net I told her that you and I would be in touch with her. Hopefully she'll return my email soon with answers to our questions. We should invite all those who have responded to our requests for information and help to post in this thread to answer any questions that anyone may have.

17. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    hey guys,

im here in memphis now.im on my brotherinlaws computer.

I will try to find out what troopers are interested in coming.I know that we have heard from a number of them already,some from AL,some from TN, and some from AR.

If we dont have a table then I wont guarantee a weekend long involvement.The 501st is completely seperate from the fanforce.I am a member of the nashville fanforce.but i am also an officer in the 501st.the nashville fanforce isnt coming as far as i know.the 501st southern outpost is who im working for to be there.hope that helps somewhat.

anyway,if we dont get a table then we will probably just come saturday.we may try to get a few troopers to go over to the hospital.if we are allowed to have a table then we will be there for the duration of the con.ill probably hear from dana soon on this.

im glad a few of you are going to the meeting.you will be able to find out what it is they want from you.if they want a panel on costuming and props then be prepared for all types of questions.are you guys familar with vacuumforming?sewing,mold making,casting,electronics,painting,leatherwork,prop building,and so on.Just be sure that you guys are prepared for those types of questions.im not sure what all of your members skills are so im just throwing those out there.your costumes will show off your skills.

Ill keep in touch and see how all this works outImm hoping that we can work together and bring some local flavor to this con.

cya
    skip

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Some more con info...

Michael if you read this, we'd love to have!

Hi Rhonda!

I could probably make the Feb. 7 Jillian's get-together. I travel a lot,
    but I'll be back in Memphis on the 6th.

And I know Dana. She is one of the convention's Big Giant Heads. Her
    husband, Greg Bridges, is another BGH. I hope the list I gave you helps,
    and I noticed that Jerry Hager (Dana's brother) has provided some good input
    as well.

Great that Nashville SW fans are coming. They would be good help with the
    proposed panel, if they get to Memphis early. Tentatively scheduled for
    Friday, March 28, 5p-6p.

We also have a perrenial panel on Friday at 7p-8p, "Care & Feeding of SF
    Collections". It would be nice to have a fresh face as a panelist. Maybe
    one of your contacts from Nashville as well (if the 5pm panel is too early)?
    Know anyone interested?

Drop Dead Deadline for panel is end of February, but we would like it a lot sooner.

Cheers!
    Michael Kingsley

19. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I think a Q & A panel would be great, would answer any and all questions that people had. I dare say that are combined SW knowledge is more than sufficient for this. Important Question, where and when is our next meeting, Feb 7th or 9th, and is it at Jillians? if so I'll be there if its on the 7th.

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay guys, we need to decide on a panel pretty soon. Michael Kingsley emailed me again about a correction to one of his previous emails.

Disregard time for panel that I sent you earlier; programming will be
    reworked on Feb. 1st.

And did I give you a March 1 deadline?

I'll let you know if I get a new time panel. If I'm not mistaken we are going to have the Nashville 501st with us at our booth, and to help on the panel. (Thanks Skip! :) ) Are some of you guys going to go to St. Judes with the 501st? Just not sure where we stood on that.

Tim, I plan on attending next Sunday, let me know if you guys want to meet up. Hope I'm not sounding too OCD, but I know how time flies when you are planning these sorts of things. One day you've got plenty of time, the next you're one day away from the meeting!!!! (Ack! I'm planning one like that now with our CEO! Maybe that's why I'm starting to sound like a rabid chipmunk!)

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Rhonda: Did we get a time and location for that meeting yet? I hate to admit that I haven't checked my email for the past two days, as I've been posting on my laptop (which I've yet to set up email on, like a bum.) Traci won't be with us, she's working weekends, but give me a holler about where we want to meet up.

And no, you're not sounding like a rabid chipmunk!!!

OK, Troops!!!! We need to put our heads together and think up a panel topic if we're seriously going be involved with this year's MidSouth Con.

C'mon!!! I'm starting to feel like Ben Stein in Ferris Buehler's Day Off!!

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I started a thread for volunteering. I also emailed Michael Kingsley for meeting time. Sounds like a plan!!!

I've got extra nametags and such at work if they aren't a mandated style. We may need some table handouts made up, I can do that maybe, unless you want to. The main thing we need to get working on is deciding panel topic. Did you see where they had one already on care and feeding of figures? Irish may be good for that one. Then we just need to decide on the main one to work on with Skip and those guys. I don't know if costuming will go with the mainstream? I'm not against a costuming one, but I don't know how many people costume. It may be an excellent choice - not a clue on that one. I like some of the ones that Michael emailed us. My favorite is the missing scenes one, I could participate on that one. We can decide on a panel, that way we will be ready to go when they give us a time.

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like the "Missing Scenes" idea as well. I wonder if there is any way to take the scenes from the "Behind the Magic" CD-Rom and show it?

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Um...Pillow factory? Walls MS???

Michael Kingley emailed me back.. He's pretty good about keeping in touch.

The next ConComm meeting will be at a location I've never been to.
    Directions are shown below:

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone!

The next meeting will be in two weeks at the (new location) pillow
    factory on Sunday, Feb. 9th. The Board will meet at 2 pm and the ConCom
    meeting will start at 3pm.

We all need to be there. There are soo many things that need to be
    discussed and/or ironed out. If you just can't attend, please email me
    or phone a couple of days before the meeting so we can pass things
    along.

Jeff's directions follow. Remember it's a new place so read them
    carefully.

See you there,

Dana & Greg

The new plant is near the intersection of Rt 61 and Church Rd in Walls
    Ms.The easiest way from Memphis is 240 to 55 south.Get off at Church Rd
    west.Follow Church west for 15 minutes.You'll come down a large hill(for
    mississippi) and you'll see the plant out in front of you.If you reach
    Rt 61,you've gone too far(and we'll get you a cane and some dark
    glasses)

You can also take 240 to the south 3rd street exit(rt 61)Take 61 south
    for 20 minutes.You'll see an orance and white airplane hanger on the
    left(the old Twinkletown airport property)turn left on Church Rd and
    we'll be 1 half mile on the right.If you go up the big hill,you've gone
    too far.

Everyone has to park in the employee parking lot(the 1st entrance if
    you're coming from 55,the 2nd if you're coming from 61)

Come in thru the employee entrance

The address is 9759 Church Rd Walls Ms 38680

Phone # is 662-781-5301 and my cell # is 901-603-9223

Meeting at 2:00 for board and 3:00 for general on Sunday 2/9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.