main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Middle-Earth Music vs Star Wars Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ekrolo2, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    The title is pretty self-explanatory, the six Middle-Earth movie scores vs the six, pre-Disney Star Wars movies (No offense meant to Rogue One or TFA fans, I just want to keep it fair with six vs six). Which universe wins?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Wins what...?

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm assuming it's which franchises music is better.

No offense to LOTR which has very good music but this is like brining a knife to a gunfight. Star Wars...easily. The best music from LOTR wasn't even in the films. The requiem for a dream rework they did for the TT trailer is the most memorable piece from any of the films. No music from any of the Hobbit films comes to mind but I've only seen those a few times.

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars OT
    Star Wars PT
    Hobbits

As a whole, the Lord of the Rings OT is more cohesive and intricately constructed. The development of the different themes and motifs across the 9 hour (or so) running time is truly mind-boggling. That being said, Williams' SW scores have better individual themes and are more entertaining as stand-alone listens. Shore's scores work wonders in the film but are a tough pill to swallow on their own.

In terms of the Hobbits vs. the prequel trilogy, the prequels easily win. The Hobbit scores still have the intricate structure and feel of the previous scores but the vast majority of the themes feel perfunctory and uninspired. They feel more like a sequence of notes than a flowing melody, if that makes sense. Plus they're just boring. The prequels may lack any sense of overarching structure but they are consistently entertaining and feature far better individual themes.

[​IMG]

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree with what you say here, but more cohesive and better constructed doesn't necessarily mean better music (and I think there's an obsession amongst music fans, who tend to be too analytic, about the use of musical themes -"oh and this small motif is obviously derived from the last two notes of that other theme...").
    I would say that, Williams' SW scores not only have better themes, but are also more entertaining, emotional and inspiring, and work much better as stand-alone listens for sure.
    Shore's scores have great moments but many other dull moments if you take them out of the movies. And as I said before, I think they are slightly overrated for their thematic intrincacy and construction. That being said, Shore did a great job creating different sonic textures and colors to portray different cultures of Middle Earth, creating a more exotic and varied soundscape -while Williams stayed grounded in the Western Classical music for his scores.

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I like them both.

7. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Love them both but I mean how can you not pick John Williams.

8. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Because I like more than one movie composer, that's why!

Sarge likes this.
  9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Star Wars by far for me. Can't remember much from LOTR to be honest.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Middle-earth will always be my favorite music, but I like Star Wars as a series just a bit more. The Hobbit films have my favorite scores ever.

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I love them both. The Middle Earth music is my favorite non-John Williams film score. However, if we're comparing the PT/OT soundtracks to the six Middle Earth scores, the Star Wars stuff wins hands down. John Williams is the Maestro and these six scores are some of his greatest work. It's no contest.

12. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    It's a bit like comparing apple pie with strawberry-rhubarb pie. I may prefer apple pie by a small margin, but if you want to offer me a nice slice of strawberry-rhubarb pie..... yes please!

This diet is starting to go to my head....

Sarge likes this.