main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Midichlorians and Missing Body Parts

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BlueYogurt, Nov 6, 2021.

1. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    That's a good theory, but in TPM, a blood test was used to determine Anakin's midichlorian level.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Yet Yoda says: "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

It's one of those Star Wars things I try not to think too hard about.

3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    IMO, saying that losing a limb diminishes your ability to use the Force feels rather uncomfortably ableist. "Size matters not", after all.

On the other hand (ha), I'm reminded of George Lucas saying that Luke having an arm cut off in ESB was "basically a castration scene".

Sarge likes this.
  4. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    well, Yoda isn’t saying matter doesn’t exist.

5. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I think there's more than one way to look at how having missing limbs diminishes one's power in the Force. If we want analyze it with a quantitative look at the midichlorians, we can think of it as the average midichlorian concentration from where the Force power was generated (probably brain and/or other internal organs), through the path it flows (e.g. arm), to where it is finally exerted (e.g. hands). With Yoda, the concentration is consistently high throughout the whole pathway. With Anakin, the concentration is ultra-high in some parts but zero in the mechanical parts, giving an average concentration somewhere in between.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought midichlorians weren't considered canon anymore? They get frowned upon, and you have to turn around and spit or something.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe, but what New Canon material overruled the prequels?

8. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I think maybe it has more to do with the addition to the body of inorganic, or man-made parts, and less to do with the loss of limbs. I believe the addition of prosthetic, in this case metal, limbs diminishes the body's connection to the force. Almost as if becoming a barrier or inhibitor to the Force users connectivity.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Darth Chuck Norris, that's pretty much the way the old WEG SW RPG described it. According to their rules, cyborgs had more difficulty using the Force. Which meant Vader must have been super-powered to do as much as he did while handicapped by his limbs and suit.