main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Midnight Showing of Episode III Planning Thread - Line forms at 5pm per Malco

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    It's a shame they're not spending that money on the quality of the presentation. We don't care about the exterior of the building. The blasted thing's only a couple of years old. Hell, I sold them some of the interior trim material when they built it.

I knew I should've jacked my prices up higher!

2. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Aparently my friend is pitching a tent the morning of the 18th around 5AM. LoL

3. DarthJabez

DarthJabez Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    Howdy folks. I'm the "buddy" jsp2000 spoke of earlier, the one who's flying in to Memphis from Dayton, OH. Just wanted to touch base with y'all since we'll probably be hanging out in line (I plan to get there about noon). Just look for the guy with the suitcase!

Sucks about the digital; it's why we picked Paradiso too. Oh well.

4. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Thanks everyone for continuing to post. There is 1 hour left to let me know your going to be there. Don't count this out just because Malco coporate is giving us a hard time. Never say Die and Never Surrender! I counted all the people that have posted and the extras they are bringing. Tims count of 45 seems accurate for everyone. Even if this doesn't come through, we will have enough to try and pursuade the management. (if we use the old "Jedi Mind Trick" all together, we can do it!)

I will let everyone know as soon as I find out something.

Again, thanks everyone!

Kelly

5. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    I was just thinking about something that would be GREAT!

You know how at conventions there's always teh 5-foot-tall and fat Darth Vaders?

We need someone who's 6-feet-tall and skinny to dress up as Yoda!

6. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    I saw this on Yahoo! news and thought is was interesting.

If you're a moviegoer who hates sitting through the Fandango sack puppets, coming attractions and Inconsiderate Cell Phone Man, here's some really good news: Loews Cineplex Entertainment will begin advertising movie showtimes with a note saying most movies actually start 10 to 15 minutes later because of all those commercials, public service announcements and previews.

The note will start appearing in newspaper and Internet listings for the theater chain beginning next month, said John McCauley, Loews' senior vice president for marketing. Loews owns 200 theaters nationwide.

The change was a response to complaints from moviegoers, he said.

Yet, McCauley said he thinks few people will arrive later because of the notice.

"We still think people enjoy coming early, getting their popcorn, finding their seats, talking amongst one another," he said.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Kelly,
    I actually heard that someone was proposing in Congress that theaters be required to advertise two start times for movies - Trailer/Ad time and actual start time. Great use of taxpayer time there.

Sure, I hate watching commercials at a first-run movie when I've already paid $8 for a ticket, but I would really hate it if 90% of the theater decided to show up and try to find a seat when the lights have dimmed and the credits have started to roll. It's bad enough when 5-10 people are doing it.

-Joe (who was jazzed when he noticed that at the theater in Jackson, TN, there were no commercials, only trailers, before Sin City)

8. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    RE: Digital Presentation:

I called the number on the front of the SMT site, and requested that they find a way to get digital at Paradiso before the midnight showing.

I got a call back from Jeff Cotham (?) who said that in the future if I plan on seeing anything in Digital I should be going to the Cordova theater as it will be the ONLY theater with digital presentation. Then he says, "Thanks for your interest in Malco, and--uh--May the force be with you. Enjoy the movie."

Was that a geek-stab, or was he being a fellow-fanof the film??

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I just found out I have my monthly meeting with our CEO all day on the 19th, starting at 7am. :( I might end up HAVING to see it at Cordova digital first time.

Should we start planning for our first digital screening maybe Friday night? There are extra scenes in the digital version, so it's a little bit different from AOTC. I think I heard at least two added scenes.

10. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    i'm very confused now... who has actually decided not to go to the Paradiso showing? as far as i know, tickets to other theatres are already sold out... is there even another option? i'm probably going to go where ever you guys and gals are going (which, as angry as i am at malco right now, still is the paradiso.

are the plans still set for the paradiso or has it changed?

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    With over $400 in ticket sales already purchased for the 12:01 AM showing at the Paradiso for are group, we're sticking with it. We'll have to suck it up and deal with it, or be out even more money if we buy tickets at Cordova. I hate giving them twice the price of admission when they're just going to screw us.

But we'll be quick to wave our lightsabers around during their 15 minutes of commercials. And we'll boo. And we'll chant "Malco Sucks".

And pack those snacks, folks. Boycott their concessions!

12. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    they are adding two new theatre's and an icecream shop on the end. thats where their money is going.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Typical that they're adding even more concessions. What have been saying about where their real profits are coming from?

14. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Mistoffoles,

I'm still going to Paradiso with Antone and Janet. I think we all are going to Paradiso, still; but, making plans to hit the Cordova theater on a different night.

Dunno about going that first Friday night, though...wait, we're doing that thing with 94.1 The Buzz, aren't we? heh heh heh...Maybe I'll be there that night (IF I get my costume done).

15. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    If this thing rocks as hard as I hope it does I'll be catching a matinee a few times at the Cordova one the week or next after.

See some of you in line at the Paradiso, the BUZZ preview, or at one of the other showings!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lin: Have you heard anything else from Tommy about the Buzz showing at Cordova for Friday, May 20th? I've been emailing him and have yet to hear from him.

17. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    This is why I wait until movies are released to dvd and avoid the movie houses. I'll have to make a trek out to Cordova Thursday for a digital showing. What a bunch of crappity crap crap crap.

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm not going to give up on the midnight showing, but I work for the CEO and EVP of International Paper, and they will all be in Memphis Thursday, May 19 at 7:00 am and I have to run the digital projector and facilitate the meeting until 5pm tht afternoon. These suits pretty much don't care that I went to a midnight showing of Star Wars, they can buy and sell a hundred of me. But hey, it keeps me in SW stuff and in the G-town. I 'll just have to see how it works out and if it maybe gets cancelled or a miracle happens. I'm still keeping my ticket, though. If I don't make it, it's just 10 bucks that I lost. I am definitely going to see the digital version either Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sun. We need to make plans for that one also, if we go, because it will be sold out soon.

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    True. Those tickets will go the quickest.

Gee, I wonder why? [face_devil]

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    So someone get to planning!!! o_O

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm still up in the air with my work situation for the 19th as well. I was originally planning on taking off, but I may not be able to if Jeff has to head off to Texas. I really wanted to catch the noon showing in digital that day.

22. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    As I said before, I'm in a similar situation as Rhonda for the day after the midnight showing, so planning something for that Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the Cordova digital would be cool.

Pros of Friday - if the 94.1 BUZZ ting comes through it's good press for the club.
    Cons - it's Friday and everyone who is a "normal" will be there to see it.

Pros of Saturday - we could catch an earlier show (3:40 I think) and have plenty of time to do something later together.
    Cons - the Southhaven Wal-Mart event that Chuck has set up coincides.

Pros of Sunday - we can see it while everyone else is in church!
    Cons - I don't know if I can wait that long.

-Joe

23. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/04/film.starwars.rating.ap/index.html

It ain't for the squemish!

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Gotta love Lucas and his sticking by his decision to tell his story, despite it not being the best business decision!

25. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    But, really: Does ANYBODY really think a PG-13 rating will keep fans from showing this to their kids? What with all that the news shows nowadays anyhow?

Nope.

He's still a smart man, even though his breath smells funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.