main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Midnight Showing of Episode III Planning Thread - Line forms at 5pm per Malco

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Or Vodka and coffee... Or Kahlua and coffee.... or moonshine and coffee... We don't discriminate against what you use.

Or we do "bring five bucks to pitch in for pizza".

And I'm sure I could dig up an Atari 2600. Berzerk, anyone?

Old man purse? All I need is a flask. Then I can "dress up" my $26 small coke.

2. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    We need one of those theaters around here like I saw on food network one time. This theater was awesome. It had a huge screen, state of the art sound, stadium seating but it didn't have as many rows of seats because you sat at these tables and you could order food before the movie, like real food that's almost worth the $80 you spend on food.

And yes we do need more than one theater like Studio on the Square in this area, particularly down her' in Southaven. I saw Vanilla Sky there, was a cool movie viewing experience. One of the last pleasant experiences I've had in a movie theater actually. I personally hate going to the movies, but Episode 3 can't exclusively be screened at my house so I don't have much choice.

I wish Malco would hurry up and make up their feeble minds on when they're gonna start selling tickets. Almost there...

3. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Ex-Binghampton resident representin' !!
    My parents decided to get us out of the city when the cops had to shoot 2 pitbulls in the street and then a crack house was busted around the corner. They blocked off the street and had SWAT in there.

Crazy.

Oh, I watched Closer tonight, and will never be able to look at Padme the same way again.

4. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    "My parents decided to get us out of the city when the cops had to shoot 2 pitbulls in the street and then a crack house was busted around the corner. They blocked off the street and had SWAT in there."

What, just one crack house? Bah, we've had two! The house across the street has been a whore house, and the five kids who grew up next door to me have become dealers, driving Caddys.

But you'd be surprised. Those kids still come by and lovingly refer to my dad as "Mister Blue." He gets collect calls everyday from neighborhood kids doing jail time. You'd be surprised how being a good neighbor could effect being in a bad neighborhood.

This house has been in our family for 100 years. That's not going to change because of lame social demographics.

But I digress...

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I secretly fought crack and coke dealers for many years and somehow managed to win by default. Five raids didn't stop them, but when they turned on themselves and killed one another, then the house shut down.

6. Valeska

Valeska Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I love the drive in. You get to see two movies relatively cheaply, you can bring your own food, and the only people you have to worry about bugging you is who you bring with you. A walkman with a radio can cure that!

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I miss the old days before they had FM stereo transmitters. It just wasn't drive-in unless you were getting eaten alive by mosquitos and the sound was complete crap.

I remember the old days when Traci and I would take a cooler full of wine coolers with us to the drive-in. Ahhh, we were so sophisticated back then. Now we laugh in the face of wine coolers.

8. MisterBlunt

MisterBlunt Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    I've never been to a drive-in. Always wanted to. I guess my parents were too sophisticated for it.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Wow. lotta theater talk. Fun stuff.

Paradiso - love the digital, hate that you can only drink beer in the bar area. What's the point? I'll go drink at Huey's. But I like the location in that it is close to a friend that we often see movies with.

Cordova - handy in that it is an up to date theater that is one of the closest for us to drive to.

Peabody Place - convenient to work. Nice big screen.
    good choice of concessions.

The Majestic - ahh memories. We moved to Memphis and lived in an apt right behind Hickory Ridge Mall. The Majestic was where we saw the midnight showing of Ep I. But we hardly ever go there now, but only because of the distance since we moved to Lauderdale County and they have other theaters closer to us.

Studio on the Square - cool atmosphere. Mature. Artsy. I like.

The Appletree - a moment of silence for our fallen friend.

Summer Drive-In - More fun. Especially with the right double feature. Could be great with a bunch of SMT folks.

The Hollywood 20 - Stage Road. I think this is my favorite of the big screens, actually. (Not counting actual large format systems.) We saw Galaxy Quest on their Screen 1 and WOW!

Bartlett 10 - 2nd run and half-price concessions. Sweet. As long as the crowd isn't stupid. Rowdy and fun is fine, but when they are explaining th emovie to the person next to them. Well, at least it's a cheap movie to walk out on.

Of course, most of this is moot, since we usually just wait for DVD and watch it at home with 6.1 sound and a 50" screen. Until we buy that projector that is.

-Joe

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Or you can wait for DVD and watch it on the 26' screen!

TIMAX lives, baby!

(Sorry, got carried away there.)

Actually, I think the crappiest movie theaters have to be the Stage Cinema near Wolfchase and the one in Wolfchase mall. The acoustics suck in both, especially when you can hear other movies. And the friggin teenagers and their ritalin-needing butts suck even worse. Can't they put down their cell phones, shut the hell up, and be friggin' still for two hours? No home training.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Or you can wait for DVD and watch it on the 26' screen!

You have NO IDEA how many Rated R movies I watch/buy that your neighbors would freak out over, Tim.

Actually, I think the crappiest movie theaters have to be the Stage Cinema near Wolfchase and the one in Wolfchase mall. The acoustics suck in both, especially when you can hear other movies. And the friggin teenagers and their ritalin-needing butts suck even worse. Can't they put down their cell phones, shut the hell up, and be friggin' still for two hours? No home training.

Yeah. We've seen a couple at the Stage, and it's just ok. Nothing for an EVENT, that's for sure. And we've actively avoided the Wolfchase theater with the exception of the free tickets ot the adv screening of Spider-Man 2. That was pandemonium, but in a good way.
    Again - free was the only way I'd go in there.

Later,

Joe

12. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    And I think Mazzio's is way better than any pie you could get at a theater. They don't deliver to my house so I drive up there and do carry out. I can't wait for my chance to get West Nile....uh I mean Drive In Nights. :)

13. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    So, what's the official word on this, are we gonna do costumes or not? I know we don't know where yet. But I am curious if the is going to be officially a costumed event.

14. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Wow. Drive ins. The last movie I saw at one (Summer) was First Blood Part 2. A sixty foot Sly, that's what the world is missing!

Oh, and I couldn't play outside until we moved outside of the city because the neighborhood kids would throw rocks at me. I guess that's one of the reasons that I'm such a movie and book - phile.

15. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002

Word! Burn it down!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    During the first LOTR movie, I had to ask a group of chatty, wiggly teenagers if it was possible for them the shut the **** up for two hours so I could hear the movie. Traci said my eyes turned yellow when I said that. This was at Wolfchase, which is the same problem I had every single time we went there.

17. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    And it dosen't matter what time of day you go to those 2, there are always loudmouths there. Shouldn't they be in school? My brother and I went to Stage to see Kill Bill v1 during a school day at noon and there were about 10 loud @ss teens there. Now why can they get into a R movie, during school, on a school day??? And of course we had to tell them to shut up. Morons.

18. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    hey, hey!
    i'll be going to a midnite showing!! it will be my first, parents arnt too big on 6th graders goin to TPM or 9th graders to AOTC, but i graduate the 13th. so i am totally there, in costume
    and i just got a graflex flash gun off ebay. so i will be there with my lightsaber as well

19. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    Not sure about the costume thing. We may opt for Boba Fett Ts instead.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Ah, C'mon, Gina! This is our last chance ever to get our geek on for a SW movie.

21. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    I will come as a Star Wars geek. That will be my costume.

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Like I said earlier, I'm coming as Star Wars chick. :p It's a great costume it really is. I'll be in my vader or Anakin t-shirt.

23. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    CNN.com - 'Star Wars' fans wait at wrong theater - Apr 6, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/06/starwars.fanatics.ap/index.html

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yep. That makes SW fans look good.

25. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Hey, ya'll keep me informed! I wanna go with the lovely people, my fellow geeks, my personal love-interests, my brothers and sisters, my cousins, my friends, my family, my...um...I ran out of words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.