main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Mighty Fine Deal [Firefly Challenge] Poe, Rey, Finn, Lando, Chewie

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, May 8, 2020.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Welcome to my domain once again. Here, I thought I was going to be late for the entry and it turns out I'm only the second one posted. So, I chose to set this a few months after ROS. I sprinkled not only the quote I was given but also several more references from Firefly. We'll see if the true Browncoats can spot them. Some were rearranged to fit the SW universe. As always, enjoy and review as you see fit! SHINY!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mighty Fine Deal

Here's how it it is.

The Resistance is now the new New Republic, and the galaxy is better now. No Senate. No squabbling. Just systems doing their own thing with no Supreme Leader breathin' down their necks. Poe Dameron is the Chief of State now that General Leia Organa Solo has left us. Finn is the new General of the New Republic Fleet. And Rey now calls herself a Skywalker and is searching for Force potentials all around the galaxy. She happens to be the only Jedi now.

Way of life is different for folks. They're free to make their own decisions. Enemies, most of them anyway, have seen the end of the First Order since they ain't in control anymore. Their Supreme Leader is gone and their head boss man, Palpatine, is now taking a dirt nap. Again. Seriously, how many times does that guy have to die?

Now there's work to be done in the months since Exegol. Places to see, systems to recruit. Most systems complied and joined the New Republic. Some didn't. One of the stubborn systems is Alterra Bravo. Been under control of the First Order and the Imperials way back when. This is why Poe, Finn, Rey, Chewie, and Lando Calrissian are headed on their way to convince them to join the New Republic.

Millennium Falcon, en route to Alterra Bravo

"All I'm saying is that it would solve your compressor problem," Poe said.

Rey shot back, "And I told you, it wouldn't work, Poe. The Falcon has a whole different reg coupling system."

Poe shook his head and leaned forward in his chair. "The reg couple tends to gum up the works when it gets tacked. Better to plug in the G-line straight into the port pin lock."

Rey countered, "That works on your Encom X-Wing but not on the Falcon. Lando, please tell him." She took a swig from a metal cup.

Lando Calrissian, sitting in the booth behind the Dejarik board, sighed and said to Poe, "She's right. That compressor had been giving Han fits for years. It was a flaw in the original YT model designs. They just don't work well with regular grav boots."

"See?" cried Rey. "And Lando was the Falcon's original owner." She took another swig from her cup.

Poe noted, "You, uh, enjoying that ale, Rey?"

"Oh, yes."

"How many have you had since we left base?"

"What, like you're counting?"

Lando cut in. "Hey, after what Rey had been through months ago, I think she deserves a bit of celebration. Besides, Alberion ale is the best as they come."

Poe said, "Celebration is one thing. Overflowing ale on the floor is another."

Sitting beside Lando, Finn said, "I don't think it'll make much difference on this floor."

Rey snickered. "Good one, Finn."

Poe said, "It's just that I've never seen you drunk before."

"I'm not drunk. I have had alcohol before. I once found a bottle of Saret whiskey in an officer's desk of the Star Destroyer wreck on Jakku."

"Congratulations," said Finn. He addressed Lando. "Seriously, did Han ever think to clean this place up?"

"Nope. He always said he wanted the ship to look run down and dirty. That way, people would be more impressed by her performance."

Poe remarked, "So he wanted it to look like a piece of junk. Mission accomplished."

"Yeah. Makes me sad," reflected Lando. "I can still remember when I first got her. She was brand spanking new. The walls here were such a bright white that they almost blinded you."

Poe and Rey both exclaimed, "White walls?"

"A long time ago, yes. Of course, Han made all kinds of additions to the Falcon over the years. Some he told me, others he didn't. He managed to up the hyperdrive to .5."

Poe said, "That's what I was impressed with the first time I flew her. Most cargo ships like this don't have hyperdrives past level 1. Wondered how Han did that."

Rey answered automatically, "Easy. He jury rigged an SSP05 model hyperdrive, Vandangante style."

Lando raised his eyebrow, impressed and nodded. "That's right. I helped him install it. Though, I have a theory that there's still traces of coaxium in the fusion core."

"Coaxium?" gasped Poe.

"Yep. We had to inject unrefined coaxium into the core in order to escape. Of course, that was many decades ago."

Poe said, "Even refined coaxium is unstable. I don't see how even traces of coaxium could survive this long."

The proximity alert sounded on the computer followed by Chewie's cry from the cockpit.

Poe cried out, "Ok, Chewie, I'll be right there! Looks like we're approaching Alterra Bravo. Now you know these people are a bit touchy, especially when they perceive us as their enemy."

Lando noted, "I've dealt with them in the past and they're not fun. They've been under Imperial and First Order rule for so long."

"Right. So everyone know their roles?"

"I'll flank you and be ready for anything," said Finn.

Lando stated, "I stand there to represent the old New Republic."

Rey first hiccupped and slurred, "I'm staying back to intimidate as a Jedi."

Poe asked, "You all right, Rey? You seem a bit tipsy."

"I'm fine."

Half satisfied with her answer, Poe went on. "From what I know about these Alterrans, they don't do much research. They may not know who we are. Which gives us the advantage." He was interrupted by another cry from the Wookie pilot. Poe yelled, "All right, Chewie! I'll be there!" He asked Rey in quiet voice, "Is he always this impatient?"

"Well, usually I'm already in the pilot's seat so he doesn't have to yell."

"You're not helping." Poe climbed into the pilot seat. He opened a channel and received the landing coordinates and platform number. Alterra Bravo consisted of impressive geometric-shaped buildings of crystal white. With its sun reflecting it made the city give off a beautiful sparkle. It was a system of various industries, all beneficial to the First Order. Now they would see if those benefits extended to the New Republic.

Poe found the landing platform and immediately his alarms went off. Chewie noted it too with a low grumble.

"Yeah, I see them. Their welcoming party looks strangely like an army ready for war. Did I tell everyone to be cautious with these people?"

Poe landed the Falcon and then gathered his crew at the exit ramp. He warned them what was greeting them on the platform.

Finn said, "Yeah, they're not paranoid."

Poe lowered the ramp and they each exited. Once they were on the platform, soldiers dressed in red all aimed their blaster rifles at them.

Poe uttered, "Well, this is a sudden betrayal."

Finn added, "But inevitable."

"And inevitable," repeated Poe.

A decorated man who looked to be a high ranking officer stepped before them. "And here I didn't think the Resistance was stupid enough to actually come here. Your ignorance will be your downfall. Men! Confiscate their weapons!"

A few soldiers proceeded to approach each of the crew to grab their blasters. The one who took Chewie's bowcaster did so cautiously as his fear was showing. When a soldier came to Rey, she handed him the blaster that Han gave her. She hid her lightsaber in the folds of her tunic. She was glad that her lightsaber was not made of the shiny chromium that they were usually made of. It didn't look like a traditional Jedi weapon. Then again, she didn't consider herself a traditional Jedi. The fact that the soldier never bothered to search her more than the blaster proved that they didn't know who she was.

After all the weapons were collected, the high ranked officer grinned and said, "Now, you are all our prisoners, Rebel scum."

Lando chuckled. "Rebel scum. That takes me back."

"Quiet! We will see what the First Order has in store for all of you. Your miniscule band of rebels will not defeat us."

Poe raised his hand as if in a classroom and said, "Uh, I'm sorry. Do you know who we are? I am Poe Dameron, Chief of State for the New Republic. And you are?"

"I am the Alterra Bravo Administrator, Evir Valek."

Poe said, "All right, then. So let me say this as delicately as I can. Valek, your mouth is moving. You may want to look into that."

"How dare you! Silence, prisoner! You will not speak to me-"

"Hold on," Poe interrupted. "First off, yes I can speak to you like this. Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to current events. So let me give it to you straight. The First Order is no more. Gone. Finished. The Supreme Leader...Leaders are dead. So is your Emperor Palpatine for the second time. We are no longer the Resistance. There is nothing to resist anymore. We are the improved New Republic now."

"Lies!" bellowed Valek.

Finn cried, "No, it's all true. Don't you guys have HoloNet news out here?"

Poe answered instead, "Yes, but they probably ignore it, Finn. I've seen denial before. So what was your plan here? Take us all as prisoners and...what? There aren't many in the galaxy now who can't identify us. Except you people here, apparently. Oh, and there's the instructions I left with our base that if I don't report within 24 standard hours of arriving here that our fleet will infiltrate your system."

Rey finally spoke to add, "Yes! And they will blow a new crater in your little moon."

Poe gave Rey an awkward glance but looked back at Valek. "What she said."

"Who is she to threaten us? She is merely a female."

After Rey snickered, Poe said, "Oh, this female here is Rey Skywalker. She was the one who defeated Emperor Palpatine and the rest of the Sith. You see, she is now the only Jedi in the galaxy."

Valek grumbled. "The Jedi are no more."

Rey confidently exclaimed, "Wrong!" She made the motion of retrieving her lightsaber. "I am a..." Her hands fumbled from the lack of sobriety and her weapon dropped to the metal floor. It ignited itself with its golden blade. She looked embarrassed as she picked up the weapon. She sheepishly finished her sentence and said, "Jedi. Sorry."

Poe shook his head at her. "You still all right there, Jedi?"

"Yes."

"Good, because you might not want to swing that around in your condition. We would all like to keep our limbs."

She threw a fake smile at him before she shut down the blade.

Valek almost chuckled. "She is a Jedi?"

Finn answered, "That's right. No power in the galaxy can stop her." He paused. "On a good day."

Poe said, "And did I mention her name is Skywalker? Surely, you know that name."

"Unfortunately, yes."

Poe stepped forward towards Valek and said, "Look, we came out here to offer you a chance to join the New Republic. You can either do that or stay inside your little world and keep glorifying the obsolete First Order. Is that what your citizens want?"

Valek admitted slowly, "No. There is consensus in the main city that people want to join you, yet our Administration forbids it."

Poe went on. "Time to listen to your people instead of deciding things for them. If you don't, eventually people will know which systems are still loyal to the First Order. Might interfere with commerce and supplies."

"And tourism," added Lando. "I remember there's an exotic garden that's quite an attraction here."

Valek sneered. "You are threatening us again."

Poe said, "Oh, no. Threats were the First Order's tactic. Not ours. We're just speculating on what might happen."

Valek edged even closer to Poe and he uttered, "You people of the...former Resistance have lost so much in the war. I would have thought all of that losing would wear you down."

Poe shrugged. "We may have been the losing side for a while. Still believe it was the right one."

For a long moment, Valek didn't speak. He then motioned to his soldiers. They began returning the weapons back to their respective owners. Valek then said to Poe, "You have made valid points. We shall require time to discuss this."

"Take all the time you need. We were just here for the invitation, not an official agreement yet."

Valek said, "Very well. We will contact you once we make a decision."

"I'd expect nothing less." He turned to his crew. "Looks like we're done here."

Lando told Poe, "That was a perfect negotiation."

Poe shrugged. "I wouldn't call it perfect, but thanks."

Lando laughed. "No, it was perfect because I didn't have to do anything."

Poe grinned at the veteran and then gave out his commands. "Chewie, get the Falcon prepped for takeoff. Finn, make sure our Jedi gets some caf in her."

Rey whined. "I told you, I'm fine."

Finn said, "And the fumbling of your lightsaber doesn't exactly sell that statement. Come on, let's get sober."

Rey sneered while smiling. "Remember, I can kill you with my brain."

Finn took her by the arm and said, "Let's go, killer."

Lando also went back to the Falcon, leaving Poe with Valek.

Poe asked him, "Do you have another concern? Questions?"

Valek said, "No. It is only strange to see leadership such as yours. I question how the New Republic can survive without a central leader and a fleet to control entire systems."

"That will be the difference under my leadership. Our New Republic will not rule by control and intimidation. I will govern in the name of peace."

Valek scoffed. "Sentimental emotion. It was what you people in the Resistance thrived on. Friends and family, emotional attachments, that's all you had."

Poe smiled at him and said, "It was enough."

THE END

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Aww that was really amazing!! Loved the banter and spotting all the firefly quotes. Very cool.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Kahara, madman007 and brodiew like this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    The end? That can't be true, madman007! All the characters were spot on and I also enjoyed the banter. Drunk Rey was a hoot. I also enjoyed Lando being part of the team. Is discussion with Poe and Rey about the Falcon was fun. If you're tagging, tag me when you update. More!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Kahara and madman007 like this.
  4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    This was so fun to read! Like @brodiew said the characters were right on. I could really 'hear' their voices while I was reading!

There are so many parts I could quote, but this made me laugh out loud. Drunk!Jedi Rey is the best. [face_laugh]

I love all the banter but I love the ending line too. It absolutely was enough. [face_love] Awesome fic!

Kahara and madman007 like this.
  5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    This intro seems to be vaguely referencing the intro to Serenity in its style.

Serenity the episode or Serenity the movie? I don't remember. It's been too long since I've actually watched Firefly.

*Wash in the cockpit, playing with his plastic dinosaurs* "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal."

Definitely something Mal said. Did he say it to Jayne? Can't remember. Need to watch Firefly again.

Was this your prompt quote? Or was it the previous quote.

River Tam would be a terrifying(ly good?) Jedi.

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  6. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  7. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Not really familiar with Firefly, but enough of the quotes have kind of drifted into pop culture that I recognized a few. In any case, this was really fun and I can just imagine that former-First Order administrator's blood pressure line spiking skyward throughout the conversation. And Rey, oh Rey. [face_laugh] Kinda with Poe here, I hope she's doing alright! But a terrifyingly powerful, very drunk Jedi is a great mental image for sure.

brodiew and madman007 like this.