main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    As part of a nostalgia tour of my childhood, I have recently begun rewatching the original Power Rangers.

It is amazing how easily my 24 year old self is still amused by brightly colored superheroes fighting and plots that can only be described as uberuberformulaic.

Observations:

1. The Red Ranger still is, by far, the coolest. I dressed as him for halloween when I was about 5. What is any young boy to like in any of the other Power Rangers? His dinozord was a T-Rex and he used a sword. Clearly hero material.

2. Rita Repulsa is clearly stunningly incompetent. She needs to find some way to nullify the Rangers' Megazord instant death sword of victory if she ever hopes to move forward in conquering earth.

3. God, what was up with that robot?

4. These were in NO WAY "teenagers with attitude". They were the sort of teenagers you would find in a gospel choir.

5. Is it just me, or is there a subtext of Bulk and Skull abuse going on? B&S (as they will henceforth be known) are presented by the show as the bullies, but if I were going to Angel Grove I would just see the good looking, popular kids picking on an overweight kid and his mentally challenged friend.

6. The Pink Ranger is bangable.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Every time I try to watch power rangers on Netflix I am reminded that tv hasn't gone downhill at all. In fact, kids have quite a bit of quality programming available to them these days.

Kato Sai and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    *makes Putty noises*

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Remember when they started making the putties with an autodestruct button on their chest? What was that all about?

Darth Basin and GenAntilles like this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They had success getting a Japanese show and splicing it with scenes from Beverly Hills 90210's poor cousin.

There's a lesson to be learned here, kids.

Darth Basin and yankee8255 like this.
  6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When I was in high school we had to watch some drama about Anorexia in health class. It starred the pink ranger. This is my only contribution to item 6 in your opening post.

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Green Ranger was coolest, come on.

Master Vile scared the bejeebus out of me with his appearance causing a real mess of things.

The Cat Pink Ranger was an odd plot to say the least.

Alien Rangers subplot was hilarious.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I miss the original MMPR

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ALL YOUR NOSTALGIA THREADS ARE BELONG TO DEBO

Darth Basin and Debo like this.
  11. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Well, yeah, the last 10 years or so have been the best in TV history. This isn't even really debatable.

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I was speaking to children's television specifically. I wouldn't know enough about it to say its the greatest ever.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I enjoyed the show, it was great when Green Ranger was around because he looked cool and Dragonzord was awesome.

Shame it all went downhill after Lord Zedd was ousted, the show was never the same without his villainy (bad enough they toned down his evilness because parents complained he upset their kids o_O ).

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    having a complete megazord AND the dragonzord was the mother****in pride and joy of my toy collection as a kid.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I remember my parents had to look at like a gazillion toy stores to find the Megazord the year it came out. It was definitely a status symbol. I *think* I had the dragonzord too (I have a distinct memory of it, anyway), but it came separately, didn't it?

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Did the Megazord toy come with the Megasword, or was that sold separately?

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My daughter and I bonded over our mutual love of Tommy and the White Ranger. He even came to a McDonald's during that time and was advertised as "Tommy from MMPR" not 'The White Ranger' so when he came out in costume and did some tricks and flips I then asked him to take off the mask.

His handler said "Contract states he cannot unmask while he's working".

Oh, I said, so it's just some guy in a white ranger costume, not Jason David Frank who plays Tommy.

I was most disappointed. But the girls (daughter and niece) got pictures with him and were happy.

Seerow and Emperor_Billy_Bob like this.
  18. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    yeah. my mom likes to remind me often as to how she had to camp out at 40 different walmarts to find them. i think the dragonzord came out after the inital zords did.

19. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I really loved the racism in the show. Also, the red power ranger from the Lightspeed Rescue Power Rangers went to my high school.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Nah, brah, the power rangers were like a Benetton ad. The only racism came from YOU.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Alright you caught me. I am a racist.

22. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

True, but if they make another MMPR feature film, George Takei has my vote for the part.

Juliet316 and Emperor_Billy_Bob like this.
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    From a British perspective, this thread is missing someone hugely important:

[​IMG]

That's better. :D

Thanks to this guy, I would work out before every episode! ^:)^

DAMN RIGHT.

He had his own theme song, for pity's sake!

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And it didn't matter when he was bad, because he was cool.
    I mean, the guy had like the worst weapon around but he was cool so it didn't matter :p

Of course, his sword as White Ranger though cooler-looking wasn't much better

The fact he defeated Lord Zedd (who at least pwned him most of the fight) with what looked like a piece of inflated rubber says a lot :p

Seerow, Ulicus and Healer_Leona like this.
  25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm still waiting for the dark and gritty MMPR Dark Knight/Watchmen-style reboot, in which the "Teenagers with Attitude" have all become middle-agers with chronic depression and overacting.

"Why would I want to save an Angel Grove that we no longer have any stake in?" and some such.

EDIT -- And the Black Ranger going nuts, hacking the putties to pieces with the axe. Gray arms and legs and other assorted body parts everywhere....

Seerow, MarasFire and Ulicus like this.