main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Milwaukee Brewers fan club.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by darth_gersh, Mar 7, 2008.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Good run support last night for Suppan. Hardy finally came around for the first time this year.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Any weekend where we can take at least 2 out of 3 from the Cubs is a good weekend. A sweep tomorrow would be awesome.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, this is interesting. For at least the inter league play coming up, the Brewers have promoted Matt Gammel. The sent Brad Nelson and his 0-21 bat back down to the minors, and they're going to give their top minor league prospect some at bats. I'm kind of excited to see how he does.

4. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yah, I think its a good move too. Give him some experience and see what happens. Going for the sweep today vs the Marlins. Go Brewers.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    [image=http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4753/sweep.jpg]

Now, if they can 2 of 3 from StL, they'll be in good shape to start taking control in the Central.

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Rickie Weeks is done for the season. That sucks, just when it seemed like he had things turned around, he was hitting the ball well, and playing a pretty good second base. I don't know how much it will hurt the offense though. Counsell has been having a great year, and Bill Hall has been playing a lot better this year. If Gammel can come in and play a strong third base, they might not miss Weeks at all.

7. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Gamel hit a 3 run Home Run tonight, but also had and error. Losing Ricky sucks big time. He was playing such confidence. Sweeping the Cards was nice new tonight considering. If are pitching keeps it up we should be OK.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Good game going on in Milwaukee tonight :) Currently tied.

EDIT: of course, immediately after I post that, Chipper hits a solo shot to put the Braves back up 5-4 [face_laugh] Still a good game, though.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, after a couple months of mediocrity and inconsistency, the Brewers finally make a big movie to shake things up on this team. Shake it up.

1. They fire Pitching coach Bill Castro and bring up Chris Bosio to take his place. Bosio was a damn good pitcher in his time and has been doing a very good job coaching in AAA. Hell, he worked wonders with Manny Parra this year. I feel a bit bad for Castro, he was a good guy, and had been with the organization a long time, but the pitching staff has been just so inconsistent this year, and that falls on him.

2. They basically eat the 12 million and designate Bill Hall for assignment, essentially releasing him. I don't know if it was the constant position changing, or if 2006 was just a fluke, or if it can be blamed on the dreaded S-word, but he hasn't been effective at the plate for along time, and the fact that they're going to eat this salary, (Something I would have never expected) just tells me how done with Billy Hall the team is.

3. J.J. Hardy gets sent to the minors and Alcides Escobar has been brought up to play short. He can't be any worse then J.J. at the plate right now, and if they are planning on this kid being their SS of the future, they're going to have to figure if he can play in the big leagues. Another move I like.

MAybe this will shake things up on the team, get them playing with some energy, maybe spark them into a winning streak. If they can go on a run here, the Brewers are not out of this NL Central race. They play a lot of games against the Cubs and Cardinals in September. And right now, the move can't hurt, as they can't play a whole lot worse then they are.

10. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree with everthing just mentioned. Good god did ball hall and Hardy suck it up this year.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Here's to a Brewers sweep this week :)

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    One day into the off-season, and there's already good Brewers News.

Hoffman re-signs. He's signed through next year, with an option for 2011. The guy can still pitch, and he's still one of the top closers in the league.

13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Good sign for us Brewers fans. Better than Suppan and less money too.

14. Dark_Lightning

Dark_Lightning Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Suppan on the 15 DL with neck pain. HA

He has been a pain in the neck for the last 3 years for the Brewers.

15. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Coming off a sweep of the Twins. Nothing wrong with that. =D=

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    And the first time they've swept the Twins at home in 15 years.

Slowly but surely, this team has started to play better. The starting pitching seems to finally be getting good. Wolf has pitched better, Parra is pitching well, Wolf starting to live up to his contract. And Gallardo is one of the ten best pitchers in the NL. The bullpen has turned itself around also. Loe, Braddock, Riske and Axford are all pitching outstanding. I wouldn't send Hoffman out to save a game unless it was a situation like yesterday, where Axford had pitched three innings over the past two days and wasn't available. Other then that, he's the closer. Now, if the offense could on;y get some consistency going, they might be able to make some noise.
    They've currently won four straight and now they have six games coming up against Seattle and Houston, they have to go at least 4-2. Playoffs might not be in the cards, but they get to .500.

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg! So painful. I could see a Fielder trade, and coaching change real soon.

18. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    So Macha won't be back. Too bad managing is the least of their worries. Melvin needs to go. Let's get some pitching in here, we can't continue like this.

19. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Terrible year for the Brewers. NO pitching, management, and problems with ego's in the locker-room.

What is gonna happen this off season?

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    What is gonna happen this off season?

What happened is that the Brewers have had one of the best off seasons in the majors. They hired what appears to be a good, smart manager, they just signed Weeks to a multi-year deal, and most importantly, they now have one of the best rotations in the league with Gallardo, Grienke, and Marcum at the top, to go along with a bullpen that was very good last year.

I hate to get my expectations to high for this team (that's when they always seem to burn me), but I'm excited about the season. Pitchers and catchers reported yesterday, and I can't wait for this season to start.

21. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah, I can't wait for the season to start. I too don't want to get my hopes up, but I sure would like to see us have a "Giant" type of season.

I like Weeks. His D is getting better and hit for some power last year. He just needs to bring up his OBP.

22. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm optimistic but not overly so. Marcum is a nice addition but I'm a little concerned about Greinke. One year wonder? And he hasn't pitched in the NL. We'll see...

23. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Prince Fielder with All-Star MVP. First Brewer homer in All-Star. All kinds of first, how about finish first in the Central.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice trade they made for K-rod. Just make sure he's doing the setup so his crazy option doesn't automatically take effect :p

25. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    No matter what else happens, the day is always a bit brighter when the Brewers sweep the Cubs.

And the K-Rod deal is looking better and better. He's dropped the option for next year for a pay increase this year and has been almost lights since they aquired him. One bad game, that the Brewers still came back and won. And together with Axford, who has now saved 27 straight, the Brewers might have best 8/9 inning combo in the league.