main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I've been thinking about this one for a while. [face_mischief]

IS THERE ANYBODY ALIVE OUT THERE?

[​IMG]

THE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN SONG CHALLENGE

"Born in the USA" in September 1949 The Boss is known for his incredible live performances, political activism, and songs about cars, girls, his home state of New Jersey, and the working man. Yet he's so much more than that. The music of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band reaches people all over the world. It speaks to us, inspires us, and sometimes even saves our lives. As the character Roops says in the movie Blinded by the Light, "Bruce is a direct line to all that's true in this ****** world."

I made a list of some of my favorite songs, and after much thought and hard work (I had to spend so much time listening to so many songs to help me decide - what a chore! :p), I narrowed it down to 5 songs that I think will work for any fandom/genre/characters. You can pick a number and I'll give you the corresponding song or I can pick one for you if you'd rather do it that way.

TALK ABOUT A DREAM, TRY TO MAKE IT REAL

I'm so excited to see what awesome stories these songs inspire and to share a little bit of my Springsteen love here. Happy writing and happy listening!

Participants
    1. @devilinthedetails | Brilliant Disguise
    3. @Mira_Jade | Magic
    5. @earlybird-obi-wan | No Surrender

Index

1. Dances and Disguises by @devilinthedetails
    5. A new life for clones by @earlybird-obi-wan

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ah, I love me some Bruce Springsteen. Being from New Jersey, I'm basically obligated to love him[face_laugh]

I'll take #1.

amidalachick and Mira_Jade like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails Oh I love Robin Williams and this was indeed a movie with a lot of lessons. =D=

Can I have #4 please?

[face_laugh] Apparently I cannot stop either. I'm signed up for 3 of these at this point. [face_shhh]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, yay! You've written some amazing stories with Bruce Springsteen's lyrics as inspiration, @amidalachick! And I still have to thank you for recommending Ghosts last year. This challenge promises to have all sorts of gems. [face_love]

That said, I'd love to take #3 in your roulette, if you please. [face_batting]

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010

Can I get #2 please (I think it's still open)? I've been wanting a kick in the inspiration and this is perfect for it (we did the "O'Captain" thing the last day of high school!).

7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If it's still available, could I please have #3?

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Awesome to see such enthusiasm for the Dead Poets' Society Challenge[face_dancing]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha I am also a huge Robin Williams fan, and the Dead Poets' Society was definitely a film full of life lessons.

Quote #4 is: "There's a time for daring, and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for."

@Kit' Happy to have you participating in the challenge as well!

Quote #1 is: "They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones. Just like you. Invincible. Just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe their destined for great things. Just like many of you. Their eyes are full of hope. Just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make of their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see, gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen. You hear it? Carpe--hear it?--carpe, carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

@Briannakin I hope this challenge can provide inspiration, and that is awesome that you did the "O Captain" thing on your last day of high school.

Quote #2 is:

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race, and the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, and engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."

@Thumper09 Great to have you joining the challenge as well!! Quote #3 is:

"You must strive to find your own voice because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are going to find it at all."

Quote #5 remains open to be taken by anyone interested:)

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @devilinthedetails

Beaches, boardwalks, and Bruce - they make your state awesome! :D

And for #1, you get:

Brilliant Disguise

This is an acoustic version featuring a duet with Bruce's wife Patti Scialfa (I also love a lot of her solo work - future challenge maybe! :p). I love this version because its simplicity really captures the rawness and emotion of the song, but the original album version and other versions are equally good and worth the listen if you so choose!

Lyrics

@Mira_Jade

Aww, thank you! And I'm still so thrilled that you liked Ghosts so much! It's Bruce and the band at their best and just sheer magic. [face_love]

Speaking of magic...

For #3 we have:

Magic

This is the title track from the album Magic. I never gave much notice to this album until earlier this year, but it's become one of my absolute favorites and it gives me so many feelings. Beautiful, bittersweet, haunting, and topical almost 15 years after its release; it kicks off with Radio Nowhere, a fast-paced and catchy rocker with the narrator on a desperate, urgent search for connection and closes with Devil's Arcade, a poignant and beautiful look at overcoming and living with trauma.

I can't wait to see what Magic you can conjure up with this one! :D

Lyrics

@earlybird-obi-wan

Absolutely! :D

#5 is:

No Surrender

One of my favorites from Born in the USA, this is a fun, upbeat song about friendship. You are, of course, free to interpret and use it however you wish!

Lyrics

That leaves #2 and #4 available if anyone's interested! [face_batting] Thank you all for participating, and I can't wait to see what you all come up with! [:D]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails #4 is great, something a wise Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan would say in their less cryptic moments [face_laugh]

The quote about poetry being one of the things we live for, fantastic! =D=

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay. Weird question. Would people rather a West Wing quote challenge or a Martian quote challenge? I got some for both that can be used out of context and even if you've never seen/read the source material (but I know people often want to be able to put their prompt into context in their head).

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    For the Louis Armstrong minigames challenge I give you Wonderful world

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yay! So glad to see another story! Got it in the index. :)

amidalachick and Mira_Jade like this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Well. I want both of these, selfishly. Maybe one now and one later? [face_batting]

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Of course!:)

Quote #5 is: "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    ViariSkywalker and amidalachick like this.
  19. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Great, got it indexed! :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The West Wing Challenge

[​IMG]

The West Wing
    premiered in 1999, created by Aaron Sorkin, based around a fictional President of the United States and his staff. Sorkin went on to write the majority of episodes in seasons 1-4, then John Wells (of ER fame) went on to be the lead writer for seasons 5-7. The West Wing has been ranked among the best television shows of all time in publications such as Time, TV Guide, Empire, Rolling Stone, and the New York Daily News. The Writers Guild of America ranked it no. 10 in its "101 Best-Written TV Series" list. It won 100 awards including Emmys and SAG awards.

Needless to say, it was well written and extremely quotable, even if you have never seen an episode.

I have narrowed down 5 quotes that will work in any fandom and will give you context. Use them word for word within a story, or just to inspire you!

Index

1. Mira_Jade - "Have I displeased you, you feckless thug?"
    4. mavjade - "You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?”

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Briannakin and Findswoman like this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  23. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I've got it indexed! :)

Mira_Jade likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yussssss!!! THIS ONE IS EPIC!!!

[​IMG]

1. “Have I displeased you, you feckless thug?"

From arguably the greatest three minutes of television ever. The Two Cathedrals speech/rant is magnificent, even if you have never seen the series. Martin Sheen cursing God - half in Latin - might not seem captivating, but it is spine-chilling. It is a lesson on modern soliloquies.

Here is the full scene (mild swearing):

Mira_Jade likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, you know I can't resist even though I shouldn't take on more. Can I have #4?

Mira_Jade and Briannakin like this.