main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You got the quote you knew was going to be on this list (though you could probably guess all the others).
    [​IMG]

4. “You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?”

This is one of the most infamous quotes from The West Wing. This is a quote I use all the time and very few people realize or know where it’s from. The meaning is one almost anyone can relate to: “Don’t tempt God/gods/the Universe”!

Here is the scene. It is Election Day and some staffers are tempting fate… and Communications Director Toby won’t stand for it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I present something inspired by 2 wonderful things ;) the fun time in the OTP challenge thread when fairy tales were redone SW style and by the fact that there have been so many iterations of novels by Jane Austen etc.

Here is the "Cozy Comfy Reads" challenge. Not a roulette but open to whatever the author wants to use from their nostalgic growing up days, things they still love to this day. Mix it up and give it an SW or other fandom spin. :cool:

As sign ups and stories come in, I'll link and index accordingly. @};- [face_batting]

1. @Mira_Jade gives us a wonderfully immersive character-driven moment in:
    Sense and Sensibility: And Shake the Rising Soul

2. @earlybird-obi-wan offers:
    What Do We Want?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I've posted my story for the Dead Poets' Society Quote Challenge: Aspect Ratio

I probably stretched the interpretation of my quote a bit, and I'm not entirely sure my story makes any sense outside of my head, but there it is. :p Thanks for an enjoyable challenge!

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    For the Bruce Springsteen song challenge by @amidalachick I got song 5 'No surrender" and it inspired me to write a short story with a few chapters a new life for clones

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    YAY! Added it to the index! :)

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Wonderful to see three stories inspired by my Dead Poets' Society Challenge posted already=D=

The index for the challenge has been updated with those excellent entries!

(Also, my humble apologies for taking some time to update the index and generally being slow with my posting around here lately. Suffice to say, the Dark Side has dominated my personal and professional life right now with some real craziness, and I am super stressed, but I do love fanfic and all my friends on this site. Never doubt that. [:D])

amidalachick, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Gotten and indexed! (And, my apologies for the delay in doing so. I'll be over there today to read and leave feedback, too! [:D])

Then, as a bit of a housekeeping note, the Main Index on the first page has also been updated! Please let me know if anything is missing, as always. :)

If you are still looking to participate in these games, but aren't sure what's available . . .

The Bruce Springsteen Song Challenge has #2, and #4 available.
    The West Wing Challenge has #2, #3, and #5 available.

And the Cotton Candy Grapes Challenge and the "Cozy Comfy Reads" Challenge are open to everyone, without specific prompts that you need to claim. (*takes off host hat* pssst, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - I actually have something written that I just need to edit for the Cozy Comfy Challenge, too. So I must thank-you for that wonderful bit of inspiration! ;) [:D] *puts hat back on*)

Feel free to sign on up for any of these lonely prompts, and, if you have an idea of your own for a challenge you'd like to submit, don't be shy! Why wait? Jump on in and join the fun! [face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Findswoman likes this.
  11. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Star Wars Wildlife Watch

One of Star Wars' most notable features is its amazing array of animal life. All kinds of interesting creatures appear in the GFFA, either as riding animals, dangerous adversaries, food (for thought or otherwise), or just as part of the environment. I have six animals from the Star Wars movies for writers to use as part of this challenge, in any way you wish. Is the creature in its natural habitat? If not, why not? Is it a threat? Good for a laugh? A mystery to be solved? You decide.

The animals appear in at least one of the 9 main movies, from TPM to TRoS. If you've seen the movies, you've seen the animals, although a couple are somewhat obscure. They are all small to medium-sized, so no rancors (although you can certainly add one to your story if you wish). This challenge may be combined with another story or challenge.

1. @earlybird-obi-wan, Worrt. The Story: Icky Stuff and Creatures, and Diary entry # 89 for Emergencies
    4. @Kahara, Porg
    6. @gizkaspice, Orbak

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  12. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  13. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    #6 it is, @gizkaspice. Your creature is an Orbak, the horse-like animals appearing in The Rise of Skywalker. While we've seen them used as riding animals in the movie, their origin is unclear and they also seem to exist in the wild.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  15. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    @earlybird-obi-wan, #1 is the Worrt -- a mid-sized, frog-like creature we see in Return of the Jedi. This creature is similar to frogs and toads -- it eats insects and small rodents, using its long tongue to capture a meal. It also seems to be venomous.

[​IMG]

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Welp, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, you had me at Jane Austen variations. ;) [face_laugh] [face_mischief] In a somewhat startling burst of inspiration, I am delighted to have written: "... and Shake the Rising Soul" for your "Cozy Comfy Reads" Challenge. The fandom is none other than Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. [face_love]

As always, I love how much inspiration this thread has provided for so many, and cannot wait to see what comes from it next! [face_dancing] [face_love] [:D]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Magnificent! I will index that.

amidalachick, Mira_Jade and Kahara like this.
  18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
  19. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    #4 is the Porg, the inquisitive sea-birds we saw in The Last Jedi. Porgs appear to be quite friendly and curious, to the point where they will stow away on ships and fearlessly approach visitors. They are comfortable on land, in the air, and at sea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  20. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    PORGS! [face_love] Thanks very much, I think that'll work nicely for something or other!

21. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    So I was looking through some of the challenges I missed out on last year, and @Mira_Jade did my eyes deceive me, or is #5 still available for your Haiku Poetry Roulette? If so, sign me up! ;)

amidalachick, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, that's a document I haven't opened in quite some time! It's almost as if good ol' #5 was just waiting to be yours . . .

A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall -
    still not a butterfly

- Matsou Basho
    There you go! :D [face_mischief] [:D]

(Also, looking back at the Haiku Poetry Roulette, @Kit', I just realized that I was terribly remiss in indexing your story! I fixed that now. Better very, very late than never - especially for such a beautiful answer to your prompt. You have my most sincere apologies! :oops: [face_blush])

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  23. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, universe, seriously, you need to speak up, I can't hear you over all the thematic consistency. [face_laugh] :p

Gee, I wonder what I could do with that one... [face_batting] [face_whistling] ;)

*adds to the list of spot-on perfect prompts*

24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Prepare yourself to rock, as I present to you:

The Apocalyptica Challenge

For those of you who do not already know, Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band. Yes, cello (since what could be more metal): they are a group of classically trained cellists who started playing around with Metallica covers afterhours at music school, and then decided to get serious about it. They went on to play original compositions, added an epic drummer, and the rest is history.

Once I decided to go with this challenge, I found it painfully hard to pick only *five/oops six* of their songs, so I decided to just limit myself to the four albums I currently have on my laptop. So this isn't a comprehensive selection by any means, though it does span much of their career fairly well. While they do have some songs with guest vocalists (and trust me, you don't want to hear the "true fans" get started on that) all of the selections are instrumental, as I feel that gives you more room to play around.

So just pick a number, and I will give you the corresponding song.

-----------------------------

1. Mira_Jade "Ruska" "By Their Very Nature"
    2. earlybird obi-wan "Beautiful" Lisa's last day
    3. RX-Sith "Last Hope" Last Hope
    4. amidalachick "Kaamos"
    5. ViariSkywalker "Deathzone" Turn Ourselves Into These Ashes

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    You had me at Apocalyptica.

I need to write for the prompts I already have . . . but I can't resist this. May I have #1, please, @Pandora? :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021