main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
  2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , you positively absolutely can! :D Here's #5 for you!

Amateur Not-Necessarily-Urban Exploration:
    Finding one's way into a new and unknown spaces, often inside a building. This can sometimes be a new room or level to a known place (like one's own home) or it may be in a completely new location. Venturing into these dream places can be an uneasy prospect, but there is sometimes a bit of the lure of adventure there too. And since they don't have to adhere to real-world logic, sometimes the structures have qualities that shouldn't or at least wouldn't be likely to exist in the real world.

This Setting Generator could be a source for extra inspiration:
    https://perchance.org/random-setting-generator

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I bring you: The Shakespearean Theme Challenge.

I will provide a play whose character(s) or major themes can be the springboard for a new or ongoing story. When I say character, I mean the personality more than what happens to them although that could be a fun read. ;)

Pick a number from 1-5 and I'll provide the play title.

---

1. "Much Ado About Nothing": earlybird-obi-wan

3. "As You Like It" -- devilinthedetails

------

Entries List:
    "Sugar" by earlybird-obi-wan tied to Much Ado About Nothing.
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...akespearean-theme-challenge-siriwan.50058247/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    #1 please in your very nice challenge

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This gets the fun: Much Ado About Nothing :D

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
  10. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Allrighty, for @amidalachick 's "Women of Country" challenge, here's my first post for Cargo Hauler. I've wanted to write a Bodhi Rook story for a long time, and nothing ever fit right until now. :) There's still probably some amount of artistic interpretation, but I tried hard to keep to the spirit of the song for the fic.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have written looking for the dark for the women of country challenge by @amidalachick . It was a great song to write more about Jocasta Nu and her admiration of the dark Jedi

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Quick question -- if a number from a distant past challenge is still open can I still request it? I've noticed a few that weren't yet claimed and wondered. (Though I know that in some cases the author who wrote the challenge might not even be visiting the boards much, some of them are very much still here!)

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I don’t see why not, seeing as these aren’t deadlined, though yeah, it might depend on whether the author is still around. But if one isn’t, another surely will be! :)

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Exactly this, @Kahara! There are no deadlines on anything in here, so if the author is still around, please feel free to request anything you'd like. :D

15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Findswoman , @Mira_Jade , excellent!

[​IMG]

[GIF of the Riddler plotting in Batman Forever]

And on that note...

@brodiew , might I have #2 from the Norman Rockwell Challenge?

@Raissa Baiard , might I have #5 from the Looney, Looney Chuck Jones Cartoon Challenge?

@amidalachick , might I have #5 from the Guitar of Fire Challenge?

... and @Kit' , might I have #4 for the Discworld Challenge?

Thanks in advance to any of you that can find your prompt lists back, I know it's been a bit! ;)

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I finished the baroque challenge provided by @Pandora with a lightsaberfight between Anakin and Obi-Wan following the melody of Bach's Toccata and fugue in D minor in swish zziing swish zzing zzziiiing
    It was quite different but fun to write and thanks @Pandora

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    @Kahara you get Operation: Rabbit, starring the wascally wabbit himself, Bugs Bunny, and his nemesis Wile E. Coyote, suuuuuper genius.

18. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Raissa Baiard , thanks! :D

[​IMG]

[GIF of a bunny dropping a small plastic basketball in a hoop]

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Basketball reference! [face_rofl] Ahem. [face_love]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Mira_Jade and Kahara like this.
  20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Had to go looking for a new quote because I'd deleted my original list, but hopefully this one works for you. It comes from HogFather, one of my favourite novels (and television adaptions too).

The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Kit' , thank you! That's a really good one and applies to so much in Star Wars, as in life. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  22. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    After ages and ages, I finally finished my vig for @Mira_Jade's Latin Phrase Roulette! [face_party]

Guardian

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  24. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, all!

Isn't it crazy that it's almost September already? Looking at the calendar, I realized that it was more than time for another round of mini-games. That's right: THE MINI-GAMES ARE NOW RE-OPENED FOR 2023 CHALLENGES!

If you submitted a challenge last time around, consider this a fresh start; you are now free to post a new challenge. We only ask that you PM a mod first before posting any subsequent challenges, just to keep from too much congestion in the thread. (Please don't hesitate to do so, that said. We don't bite. ;)) Nothing has changed about the guidelines for posting challenges. The rules are still the same: keep your prompts small and relatively basic. Think more complex than the drabble challenge, but not quite as in-depth as the dare challenge. This really is the chance for those niche challenges that would otherwise might not see a ton of participants to be posted (though you can also make it broad). If you are posting a “pick a number” challenge, please limit it to 5 entries.

And as always, of course, you may request numbers from any of the previous challenges! Just as you may still post stories for old prompts - in fact, we rather encourage you to do so! There are no deadlines for these games. :D

If you have any questions or concerns, as always, please feel free to contact any of your mods!

Now, this time, to start off with something a little different . . .

THE TUDOR ROULETTE

[​IMG]
    Ambition. Faith. Greed. Power. Enlightenment. Passion. Glory. Legacy . . . that sounds like a Star Wars story right there, doesn't it? But this time, it's not; instead, it's time to take a bit of inspiration from the fraught times of the Tudor era in Sixteenth Century England.

It’s time to play a game of Tudor Roulette.

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is simple. Pick a number, one through five, and I will give you a quote from a famous personage of the time to use as inspiration for a story. You may stop there, and perhaps the wise shall; however, gentle writer, should your ambition prove yet still more bold, there are further elements you may select. By rolling your own dice through a random number generator, you may choose a virtue and/or a vice to include, as selected from the Pageant of Chateau Vert, where masked courtiers danced, identified only by each character. Should that alone not sate your appetite, you may even endeavor to include a further element by selecting a symbol of Tudor rule of your choice – only, be careful not to lose your head by taking on more than your muse can rightly endure! [face_mischief] [face_devil]

Who Will Fall and Who Will Rise

1. earlybird-obi-wan
    - Virtue: Honor; Vice: Scorn | Symbol of Power: The Ocean | Quote: “A pig, an ass, a dunghill, the spawn of an adder, a basilisk, a lying buffoon, a mad fool with a frothy mouth.” -- Martin Luther, on the subject of Henry VIII | I am a what

2. Findswoman - Virtue: Mercy; Vice: Danger | Symbol of Power: The Rose and The Pearl | Quote: Much suspected by me,/ Nothing proved can be,/ Quoth Elizabeth prisoner.” -- written with a diamond on a window at Woodstock, by Elizabeth I

3. devilinthedetails
    - Virtue: Constance; Vice: Disdain | Symbol of Power: The Pelican | Quote: "For we never come to the kingdom of Heaven but by troubles.” -- Catherine of Aragon in a letter to her daughter, Mary I | [Avatar: The Last Airbender] The Legend of Pelican Mothers

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - Virtue: Kindness | Symbol of Power: The Pelican | Quote: “As the holly groweth green/ And never changeth hue,/ So I am, ever hath been,/ Unto my lady true.” -- from “Green Groweth the Holly”, a song by Henry VIII, for Catherine of Aragon | The Road I Was Meant to Travel

5. ViariSkywalker
    - Virtue: Perseverance; Vice: Strangeness | Symbol of Power: The Pearl | Quote: “No crooked leg, no bleared eye,/ No part deformed out of kind,/ Nor yet so ugly half can be/ As is the inward suspicious mind.” -- a verse by Elizabeth I, written on her French Psalter

From the Pageant of Chateau Vert

Virtues
    1. Honor
    1. Perseverance
    3. Kindness
    4. Constance
    5. Mercy

Vices
    6. Danger
    7. Disdain
    8. Scorn
    9. Malebouche
    10. Strangeness

Tudor Symbols of Power

1. The Pelican: a mother’s love; a queen’s love
    2. The Ocean: for victory and conquest
    3. The Phoenix: for rebirth and longevity
    4. The Rose: for heritage and legacy
    5. The Pearl: for the moon and purity

[face_mischief]

(Now step right up and offer a challenge of your own! :D)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, a Tudor Roulette Challenge! And what perfect timing too since I am currently reading Jane Seymour: Haunted Queen by Alison Weir, and recently read the earlier novels in that series focused on Anne Boleyn and Katharine of Aragon, so I am very much in Tudor England mode@};-

@Mira_Jade I would love to take quote number 3. I also rolled for the random virtue of Constance, the random vice of Disdain, and the random symbol of the Pelican. So we will see what craziness I will concoct with that medley8-}

As for my challenge, it is, drum roll please:

[face_skull] The Edgar Allan Poe Poetry Challenge[face_skull]

[​IMG]

Edgar Allan Poe is most famous for his horror, but his poems also contain elements of the fantastical and the romantic that demonstrate the depths of his creativity. This challenge is designed as a tribute to some of my favorite Edgar Allan Poe poems, and, of course, as a celebration of rhyme and rhythm as well.

To participate, pick a number, receive a verse from one of Edgar Allan Poe’s poems, and write a story inspired by the assigned verse.

[​IMG]

The Brave Souls Who Claimed Verses:

2. Claimed by @Chyntuck
    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
    Of my darling--my darling--my life and my bride,
    In her sepulchre there by the sea--
    In her tomb by the sounding sea."
    --Annabel Lee
    3. Claimed by @Mira_Jade
    Hear the sledges with the bells–
    Silver bells!
    What a world of merriment their melody foretells!
    How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,
    In the icy air of night!
    While the stars that oversprinkle
    All the heavens seem to twinkle
    With a crystalline delight
    Keeping time, time, time
    In a sort of Runic rhyme,
    To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells
    From the bells, bells, bells, bells.” –The Bells

4. Claimed by @Kahara
    “I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,