main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh wow, this is so fun! [face_dancing]

Well, the rules said sign up for as many as you want, not as many as is responsible... ;)

@Raissa Baiard - #6 for the Sabacc cards?
    @divapilot - #5 for the James Bond quotes?
    @Pandora - #4 for the classical music?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    @Kahara — your card is The Universe, which implies that the subject will have the opportunity to do everything he or she wanted to do.

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    @Kahara - you get the classic "Shaken, not stirred" from Goldfinger (1964). Have fun!

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    For @Raissa Baiard's Idiot Array Sabacc Card Challenge, I have a short (500 word) entry starring Ben and Luke Skywalker for my card, The Wheel.

The Shape of Life

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty! Let's see if we can get some muses sparked with the First Line/Last Line challenge!

[​IMG]

Sometimes the hardest part of writing is figuring out just where to begin, and then how to tie it all together at the end! With that thought in mind, the rules for this challenge are simple: pick a number one through five and I will provide you with the first line and the last line of your story. You, dear author, then get to fill in the rest of the tale from there! I tried to keep the lines relatively versatile, and, of course, feel free to change tenses or POV or anything else of a technical nature to better fit your narrative. Think of the prompts more like guidelines, but they should be your first and last line. ;)

Sooo . . . any takers? [face_mischief]

The Participants
    1. @divapilot | First Line: "Are you going to leave me standing here?" Last Line: "I always appreciate a worthy opponent."
    2. @mavjade | First Line: "Just so you know, we're not friends now." Last Line: "We can be gentle, too."
    3. @devilinthedetails | First Line: "Well then, is it going to be a yes or a no?" Last Line: "Or maybe it was just my imagination."
    4. @Findswoman | First Line: "A crash sounded in the still of the night, followed by a curse." Last Line: "For the rest of our lives, if possible."
    5. @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha | First Line: "I can explain my behavior." Last Line: "Footsteps followed behind, determined to catch up."

The Index
    1. The Compromise, by divapilot
    2. Hard Bargain (The Martian), by mavjade
    3. Bumping Elbows with Aristocrats, by devilinthedetails
    5. Easier Than Hoped (Star Trek), by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    divapilot, Kahara, mavjade and 4 others like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay! But of course you can! :D [face_dancing]

First Line: "I can explain my behavior."
    Last Line: "Footsteps followed behind, determined to catch up."

9. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
  10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay! Here it is! :D

First Line: "Are you going to leave me standing here?"
    Last Line: "I always appreciate a worthy opponent."

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I love this, I just love this! Wonderful idea, @Briannakin, thank you so much! And what wonderful challenges people have offered! I really love this! (jumps for joy) =D=

So, it's taken me a bit, because things have been hectic, but here is mine:

The JOYS OF YIDDISH Challenge!
    [​IMG]

Yiddish, the historical language of Ashkenazic Jewry, is a warm and evocative language, with a wealth of colorful words that have either (a) made their way into English, (b) can't really be translated in to English, or (c) both. For this roulette, I've selected seven (7) evocative Yiddish words—some perhaps familiar, some perhaps less so—which you can use as story prompts in whatever way you choose. So send me a number, and I'll send you a word (and its definition), and you can have at it!

1. @divapilot | haimish: cozy, homelike, warmly sociable
    2. @devilinthedetails | kvetch: to fret, complain, gripe: Acronyms of the GAR
    3. @Kahara | rakhmones: mercy, pity, compassion
    4. @Raissa Baiard | shlemiel: A person who always has bad luck, born loser, hard-luck type, doofus: Conversational Mando’a for Beginners
    5. @mavjade | zaftig: buxom, appealingly plump, voluptuous (usually said of a woman’s figure)
    6. @Briannakin | chutzpah: nerve, gall
    7. @TheRynJedi | nakhes: pride or joy from one's child's (or child figure's) achievements
    8 (see this post). @Mira_Jade | kvell: to be bursting with pride or pleasure (over someone’s achievements, especially those of a child or child figure)

And now I'd like to ask for a few prompts for myself. Just a few for now, because things are still busy, but I will likely almost certainly be back for more. So:

@Pandora, may I have classical piece #5?
    @Mira_Jade, may I have first and last sentences #4?

Thanks so much! Did I say I love this? :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Of course you may have #4! :) It's shlemiel: A person who always has bad luck, born loser, hard-luck type, doofus.

devilinthedetails and Kahara like this.
  14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  15. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Certainly! You get haimish: cozy, homelike, warmly sociable. :)

And wow, @Pandora , wonderful a piece! Way to get me out of my baroque- and classical-era comfort zone—thanks so much! :D

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I shouldn't... but I have to (which I think should be the catch-phrase of this thread :p). As someone with Jewish OCs, and a frequent user of poo-poo, klutz, and putz [as well as other Yiddish words, which are bizarrely common in Newfie slang (Oh god, challenge idea!!!!!)], I HAVE TOOOO! Can I please have #6.

Also, I'm not calling out anyone in particular (yet), but I've been noticing number challenges with more than 5 numbers. I'm going to be fairly lax since I'd like to think of this as a fairly lax thread, but please keep in mind the "mini" in Mini-games.

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, of course! No. 6 is probably a familiar one to most here: chutzpah: nerve, gall. :)

And oops, sorry about that! I kind of was taking "mini" to be along the lines of "under 10." If it would help, I can shave a few numbers off mine.

devilinthedetails and Kahara like this.
  19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's fine. I'm not being too strict with the rules here, but the rules do say no more than 5 entries for numbered challenges (since I figured most of the non-number/sign up challenges would have no more than about 5)

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Legends Couples Whose Journey Begs to Be Written

Who are those EU Legends couples who wound up together but didn't get enough written about them?
    Indulge yourself and write of their beginnings together or anytime during the process of drawing closer.
    Select one of the numbers below and a pairing will be revealed for your writing inspiration.

2. Wedge/Iella chosen by @Briannakin
    3. Lando/Tendra chosen by @Mira_Jade
    5. Corran/Mirax chosen by @Kahra

-------------

Index

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Mav's Musical Medley Mini Challenge

[​IMG]

I think most of you know by now that I'm a huge fan of musical theater and it's always been a big inspiration to me. Pick your number and get a song from a musical to inspire your story. You can take any part of the song: the lyrics, the idea, a stanza and turn it into a story however you choose. You can be literal, figurative, it's your song to do what you like.

I'll include the lyrics and a youtube video of the song being sung. In order to avoid clicking on bootleg Broadway videos, some are of good community theater and some are of the movies, so quality varies, but I think they are still pretty watchable. If you'd like a little more background on the song, I'm happy to give a synopsis via PM.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray | Why Hesitate
    2. Mira_Jade - "Bright Star" from the musical Bright Star
    4. devilinthedetails - "What I Did for Love" from A Chorus Line | Can't Regret What Was Done for Love
    5. Kahara - "Journey On" from the musical Ragtime

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I really shouldn't take any knowing my muse, but what the heck, I'm going to be stuck at home for weeks, might as well give her some inspiration! I'll try not to take too many but all of these are such awesome challenges!!

@Mira_Jade Can I have #2 because maybe a start and stop will get the muse to fill in the rest!

@Findswoman can have #5 because I always need more Yiddish words to know! (And you know, I've got a half Jewish OC that probably needs to learn too!)

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, of course! Number 5 is zaftig: buxom, appealingly plump, voluptuous (usually of a woman’s figure). :)

24. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    The Mashup Menace

Okay, so the awards have reminded me that I love seeing a good mashup story! :) For this challenge, pick a number and you will get a combination of New Canon and Legends films/time periods. Your challenge is to write a story featuring characters of your choice from both. (I should probably note that characters that already appear in both in canon don't count, though they can also appear if you want.)

The story can be set primarily in one timeline or the other (ex: we see where Mara Jade is in the Sequels, or have Jyn Erso showing up in the NJO era, but everything else is mostly as expected), or a more-alternate AU that uses elements from both in a more mix-it-up sort of way. :p Also, the characters featured do not have to necessarily appear in person, but should be an important part of the story in some way.

Just for reference, the groupings I'm working from are all combinations of:
    Sequel Trilogy
    Rebels
    Solo & Rogue One
    with:
    Legends EU - Everything after Revenge of the Sith
    Legends EU - Before & Prequels

Ewok Poet, Tarsier, brodiew and 6 others like this.
  25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This challenge is generating so much awesomeness that I just can't even!!! [face_dancing] :D

Of course you may, and especially if I can have Yiddish Challenge #7 in return! I've already gleaned a few gems from you - like makhtanim! - and I'm excited to expand my vocabulary even further. :D

And, as requested:

First Line: "A crash sounded in the still of the night, followed by a curse."
    Last Line: "For the rest of our lives, if possible."

YOU KNOW THAT THIS ONE SPOKE TO ME. YES TO THEM ALL.

But, ahem, in the interest of sharing I would love to start with Number Three. [face_batting] :p[face_dancing]

You had me at the showtunes! Number Two for me, let's just load these prompts up, we die like men here. :p [face_batting]

And of course you may! Here you are, and happy writing!

First Line: "Just so you know, we're not friends now."
    Last Line: "We can be gentle, too."

:D [face_dancing]