main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    For the Apocalyptica callenge provided by @Pandora I bring you Lisa's last day
    Thank you for the beautiful song

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    For @Pandora's Apocalyptica Challenge I am happy to have written By Their Very Nature, which is once again a NSW piece for Sense & Sensibility. (Ssssh! Somehow European symphonic metal equated to Jane Austen in my mind, which I can't explain. I'm gonna go write something SW-y to reset my muse now, I promise. :p 8-})

Thanks again for the awesome inspiration! [:D]

5. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, all!

Goodness, but how are we are more than halfway into 2022 already? Looking at the calendar, I realized that it was more than time for another round of mini-games. That's right: THE MINI-GAMES ARE NOW RE-OPENED FOR 2022 CHALLENGES!

If you submitted a challenge last time around, consider this a fresh start; you are now free to post a new challenge. We only ask that you PM a mod first before posting any subsequent challenges, just to keep from too much congestion in the thread. (Please don't hesitate to do so, that said. We don't bite. ;)) Nothing has changed about the guidelines for posting challenges. The rules are still the same: keep your prompts small and relatively basic. Think more complex than the drabble challenge, but not quite as in-depth as the dare challenge. This really is the chance for those niche challenges that would otherwise might not see a ton of participants to be posted (though you can also make it broad). If you are posting a “pick a number” challenge, please limit it to 5 entries.

If you have any questions or concerns, as always, please feel free to contact any of your mods!

To get the ball rolling, I am going to be entirely predictable and start us off with . . .

The Jane Austen Quote Challenge!

[​IMG]

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that every author of fanfiction must be in want of a prompt to inspire a new story." ~ Jane Austen (kinda)

This challenge is simple. Pick a number, one through five, and I'll give you a quote from the queen of sass and satire herself to inspire a new classic. Grab your bonnets and reticules, or sit down with a good cup of tea and prepare to have your pens fly fast on the wings of such timeless inspiration!

The Participants

earlybird-obi-wan | “I do not pretend to set people right, but I do see that they are often wrong.” (Mansfield Park)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha | “To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love." (Pride & Prejudice)

4. devilinthedetails | “Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience; or give it a more fascinating name: call it hope.” (Sense & Sensibility)

5. ViariSkywalker | “A man does not recover from such a devotion of the heart to such a woman! He ought not; he does not.” (Persuasion)

The Index
    Pebble Fun, by earlybird-obi-wan
    3. Sweet Disclosure, by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    4. [A:TLA] The Source of Happiness, by devilinthedetails

:D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  7. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    OMG GIMME [face_hypnotized]

...*ahem* I mean, might I have #5? [face_batting]

edit: lolol I just noticed this
    [face_laugh] :p

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [:D]

ASK AND YE SHALL RECIEVE. It is my honor to offer you Captain Wentworth's beautifully bold declaration (in typical Captain Wentworth fashion :p) from Persuasion:

#5. “A man does not recover from such a devotion of the heart to such a woman! He ought not; he does not.” ~ Jane Austen, Persuasion

[face_mischief] [face_batting]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    YESNESS! JUST WHAT I NEEDED! [face_dancing] Can I have #3 please? [face_batting]

Ahem, *hoping Gabri is inspired. I want some more of the sweetly endearing Jades! [face_laugh] [face_love]

10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, how timely! I am reading Pride and Prejudice now!

I will take prompt number 4 if I may, @Mira_Jade.

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    You and me both, regarding Gabri. ;) [face_whistling] [face_batting]

For #3, I am all too pleased to share the undeniable truth of:

#3. “To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love." ~ Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

[face_mischief] [:D]

Oh, how timely, indeed! That's just wonderful! :D [face_love] For #4, you get Miss Marianne Dashwood's wise words of comfort with:

#4.
    “Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience; or give it a more fascinating name: call it hope.” ~ Jane Austen (Sense and Sensibility)

[face_love] [:D]

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I love my quote. Such wisdom and hope in it[face_love]@};-

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    And mine is so romantic. LOL

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    The Xena Quote Challenge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 90s is responsible for one of the best tv shows ever to grace the small screen - Xena! Warrior Princess! She was brave, she fought anyone who got in her way and the became an icon of the LGBTQ community. Smart comebacks, fearsome battles and campy chicanery made for one unforgettable tv show and therefore perfect to inspire some rather different stories.

Like the others, this challenge is simple. Pick a number, one through five, and I'll give you an inspirational quote from the Warrior Princess to inspire you to create some fun, over-the-top hijinks of your own.

The Participants
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - It's not easy trying to prove you're a different person.
    2. @Tarsier - The rules of survival. Number one: if you can run, run. Number two: if you can't run...surrender, and then run. Number three: if you are outnumbered, let them fight each other...while you run. Number four...
    3. @earlybird-obi-wan - I'm just a girl in search of a really good sword.
    @vader_incarnate - Gabrielle: You’re waiting for the right moment to say I told you so, aren’t you?
    Xena: Nope. I’m waiting for you to say it to me.
    5. @Anedon - A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds tears for a moment, and then picks up her sword and fights again.

The Index
    True Friend featuring Kyp and Kirana by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Siri by @earlybird-obi-wan

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Certainly! For #2, it is my pleasure to offer you this particular gem of quintessentially Austen-esque humor:

#2. “I do not pretend to set people right, but I do see that they are often wrong.” ~ Jane Austen (Mansfield Park)

That now leaves just #1 left - any takers? [face_batting] [face_mischief]

Not this has the potential to be all sorts of brilliant. :p Number five for me, please! :D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, this takes me back! [face_tee_hee] #1 please?

18. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    May I have number 2 for the Xena quote challenge?

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    The Uncle Iroh Quote Challenge:

[​IMG]

The Uncle Iroh Quote Challenge is a tribute to one of my favorite characters from one of the most moving TV shows I have ever watched. Uncle Iroh is famed for his gentleness and wisdom. Writers will have an opportunity to pay homage to that gentle wisdom by writing stories featuring any characters and fandoms that are inspired by one of Uncle Iroh's insightful quotes. To receive an Uncle Iroh quote, writers will ask for a number between 1-5 that has not been claimed by anyone else. Once a writer is finished with their story, they may post a link in this thread so that I can add a link to this post.

Our Brave Participants:

1. @Mira_Jade "Sharing tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights."
    2. @ViariSkywalker "Pride is not the opposite of shame but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."
    3. @Kahara "Good times become good memories, but bad times make good lessons."
    4. @earlybird-obi-wan "It's important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale."
    5. @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha "In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Our Excellent Index:

1. Halcyon Dawn by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the Star Trek fandom
    2. We have a mission by @earlybird-obi-wan

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Iroh is a character who deserves all the love in the world, so I was so happy to have a chance to create this challenge and give him some of that love[face_love] And I am even more happy to have you participating because you always write such beautiful, sweet stories[:D]

Quote number 5 is a quote celebrating the capacity for hope even in the hardest times and exploring the true nature of inner strength:

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I told myself that I was only going to collect a reasonable amount of prompts this time around, but you had me at Uncle Iroh. :p

#1 for me, please, @devilinthedetails? [face_batting]

24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    For me, "reasonable" is an ever-shifting target[face_laugh]

And the whole Avatar: The Last Airbender series had me at Uncle Iroh. Before Uncle Iroh, I was enjoying the show, but after Uncle Iroh made his first appearance, I knew I was going to love the show, and it was going to be one for me to binge-watch over and over. That is just how awesome Uncle Iroh is.

Quote #1 is a reflection of Iroh's deep, abiding love of comforting cups of tea, his keen appreciation of life's simple, sublime pleasures, and, of course, his open-minded, welcoming spirit to all the people he encounters on his many journeys:

"Sharing tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights."

25. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    My, my, if that isn't the perfect quote... [face_batting] [face_love]

May I have #2, @devilinthedetails?