main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Awesome! I will add this to the Mulan Challenge index, and if you end up writing another story, just let me know, and I'll add that one to the index as well.:)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    @madman007 Any fandom is fine :) I do like that quote about not abiding useless people. I also love "my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle".

However, your quote is perhaps the most well known of them all (and my personal favourite). [​IMG]

TheRynJedi, Kahara, madman007 and 3 others like this.
  4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    OK @Mira_Jade , I am desperate! Give me #2 on the flower challenge. perhaps it will shake something free.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Ah, such a great one! And fitting because look who I dressed up as at work years ago!
    [​IMG]

I'll be thinking about it. Thanks!

6. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That’s so perfect! Love the costume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Mira_Jade : I "liked" your post earlier today, and then after a while I added the link to the challenge post, and now (at 2:04 in the morning) I'm finally posting to say as much. My apologies, but something came up: naturally, during these oh so interesting times, my special needs cat is showing a new and potentially very very bad symptom, and my angst is at Zuko levels. I'll stop there.

So I must say that one of the few good things to happen for me yesterday was seeing your story.

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but you are too sweet for words! I was just all too happy to write something for such an awesome source of inspiration, and your supportive 'like's were just the icing on top! [face_love]

But oh no! My angst too would be up at Zuko levels, flirting with the Avatar state, for a pet in need, especially with everything else that's going on to cause stress and complications right now. Hang in there, and I hope that both you and your furry companion are doing nothing but better from here on out! I'm so glad that my story was enough to inspire a moment of smiling, at the very least! That's really what these games are for! [:D] [:D]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oops, I am so sorry to be that person and double post, but I just noticed that @brodiew had asked for #2 on the Flower Challenge. :oops: Well, my friend, you said that you were in the mood to write some angst, and I think I have just the thing for you! This was my dark and gloomy flower of the bunch, but in a beautiful way that allows for so much poignance in the hands of the right author! I do hope this inspires you; it's one of my favourites. [face_mischief] [face_love] [:D]

#2. AsphodelAsphodelus is a type of perennial lily that naturally thrives in barren, rocky soil where few other plants can grow. Mainly a wildflower, though now cultivated for garden planting in our modern age, it has often been discredited as a gawky, somewhat ungraceful weed over the years. In Greece they are called fiori di morti, the flowers of the dead. Asphodel was commonly planted by tombs in ancient times. Even now they symbolize my regrets follow you to the grave or remembrance beyond death. According to Homer, this flower was believed to cover the Asphodel Meadows, where ordinary souls who neither deserved the horrors of Tartarus nor had earned paradise in the Elysium Fields were sent in the Underworld. Hades’ wife, Persephone, was often depicted as wearing a crown of asphodel to honor her dual roles as Queen of the Dead and the goddess of spring and rebirth. Before agriculture advanced around the Mediterranean, Asphodel was commonly ground into flour and baked into bread, especially by the poor; it sustained life just as it was believed to nourish the dead. For that, along with being a funeral flower, the ancients wove stalks of asphodel into symbols of protection for their soldiers, and planted asphodel around their fields to guard their crops – maybe somewhat ironically looking for the approval of Persephone’s mother Demeter, the goddess of the harvest. Asphodel still grows wild across the rocky island of Corsica, and a saying there, “He has forgotten the asphodel,” means that a man has traveled far away and has purposefully left behind the traditions of his home and birth.

[​IMG]

Alrighty, that's it for The Language of Flowers Challenge, folks! I thank you for claiming all the prompts. Now, I can't wait to see what comes of your inspiration! :D [face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The challenge index has been updated! What an amazing array of challenges!

I swear I have ideas for all my prompts but my muse has jumped on me to do some other, unrelated stuff, so I'm tucking all my ideas away... for now.

11. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    @Briannakin does Dis dress fit the parameters of the OC/OC challenge?

It's got two OC's, a botched wedding morning, a fight with household instruments, the line about the damsel in distress and it ends with a kiss.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yep. It does. I’ll add it to that index once I’m not on mobile. Sorry I didn’t add it earlier. You called the challenge something else before and I was really confused.

Every one really needs to quote the specific challenge their fic is for.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  14. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Sorry [mention]Briannakin [/mention] I should have double checked the name when I first listed my fic.

[mention]Pandora [/mention] could I please have number 2 of your classical music challenge?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Kahara and Pandora like this.
  15. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Kit' : You certainly may! You have received Frédéric Chopin's Nocture No. 7 in C Sharp Minor Op. 27 No. 1.

-------

That means there is now only one song (No. 1) remaining to be claimed.

--------

Thanks for your understanding words regarding my special needs cat, @Mira_Jade. (I would have responded sooner, but I didn't want to drag the thread off-topic with a separate post). Short story shorter: I spoke with my vet, and found out I was right to be concerned, and my cat now has a new med added to her daily regimen (and by new med, I mean anti-acids--in pill form! 1/8th of a pill! which means each pill cut into eighths!) so hopefully that will help.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Mira_Jade , Kahara and Kit' like this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I got something done for both of these! Mars' Final Strike is up and **gasp** It's a new fandom!!! It's The Martian, based off of the book, but you'll understand what is going on if you've just seen the movie (and if you haven't consumed either, I highly recommend both). It's not great, but I had a lot of fun playing around in a new fandom and writing new characters! I highly recommend trying a new fandom if you are stuck in a mental funk.

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Sooo, I wasn't going to do another one of these just yet, but my previous mini-challenges are all filled up now and today presented a wonderful source of inspiration that I just couldn't pass up. Because, as part of National Poetry Month here in the United States, today is International Haiku Poetry Day! [face_party] [face_dancing] So, with that in mind, it's my pleasure to introduce the:

Haiku Poetry Roulette Challenge!

[​IMG]
    A haiku poem is a Japanese style of poetry with origins tracing all the way back to the ninth century. The traditional format is to have three lines of seventeen syllables, called on, in a pattern of 5-7-5 syllables, though some modern poets play fast and loose with that rule now. The lines do not have to rhyme. Just as important as the structure of a haiku is its content. Haiku poems explore the physical world in an effort to glimpse something deeper; they strive to capture a single moment in time, usually with a soft observation - especially regarding nature - juxtaposed by a sudden moment of illumination. For saying so little, haiku can be powerful pieces of writing, leaving profound, lasting impressions with their readers.

So, for this roulette, the rules are simple: pick a number, one through five, and you will receive a haiku to use as inspiration for a story! All of my prompts are taken from the work of Matsuo Basho, a great poet of the Edo period who is considered to be one of the 'Big Four' masters of haiku. There's no deeper reason for that beyond simple author's preference; he's my personal favorite, and I already have a book of his poetry dog-eared and highlighted for writing inspiration. I am now all too happy to share with you! [face_love] So, let's begin! :D

The Participants
    1. @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    the lives of us two -
    between them has grown up this
    blossoming cherry
    2. @Kit'
    even in the snow
    the noonflower does not wither
    the light of the sun
    3. @devilinthedetails
    you may know my heart
    from a flowering blossom
    and a begging bowl
    4. @amidalachick
    how holy a place
    green leaves, young leaves, and through them
    the sunlight now bursts
    5. @ViariSkywalker
    A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall -
    still not a butterfly

The Index
    1. Happy To Be Us, by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    2. Noonflower, by Kit'
    3. A Flowering Blossom and a Begging Bowl, by devilinthedetails
    5. Metamorphosis, by ViariSkywalker

For those who asked. ;) [:D]

Matsuo Basho

Lightning flash-
    what I thought were faces
    are plumes of pampas grass.

The summer grasses
    - all that remains
    of brave soldiers dreams.

A needle will prick
    the fool entranced by noonflowers
    - start of deep winter.

The moon has set now
    all that remains are the four
    corners of this desk.

Awakened nine times-
    and yet the moon is still here
    before the day breaks.

Yosa Buson

Blown from the west,
    fallen leaves gather
    in the east.

Lighting one candle
    with another candle
    -spring evening.

Grass, mist rising
    not a voice over the water
    The day has ended.

Sweet springtime flowers
    and not a word can express
    how sad it all is.

Color and scent
    both turning their back
    - the end of spring.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    MEGA MEGA SQUEEAGE!!!!!!!!!
    @Mira_Jade can I have #1 please?
    And feel free to pass on any and all inspiring haikus from your book of poetry :) [face_sigh] [face_love]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Two please!!!

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Mira_Jade What a beautiful idea for a challenge. May I have number three please?

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh wow! That was fast! You guys are all wonderful. [face_love]

[face_laugh] :D I just KNEW that you'd like this one in particular! Yes, of course I will send my gleanings along. [face_love] In the meantime, for #1 we have . . .

the lives of us two -
    between them has grown up this
    blossoming cherry

- Matsuo Basho​

You got it! #2 is . . .

even in the snow
    the noonflower does not wither
    the light of the sun

- Matsuo Basho​

Yay! Of course you may, for #3 we have . . .

you may know my heart
    from a flowering blossom
    and a begging bowl

- Matsuo Basho

[face_dancing] [face_love] [:D]

EDIT: And these are by Matsuo Basho, not Yosa no Buson! I was drawing from the wrong list in my notebook when I first posted these, so I apologize for the momentary misquoting! :oops:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    They are incredible. Simply. =D=

Kit', Kahara, Findswoman and 2 others like this.
  23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    For @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha's Missing Scene Challenge from the first page, I have a missing scene for TPM where Obi-Wan tells Anakin of Qui-Gon's death. I've been wanting to write this scene since the challenge was posted, but it was so hard to turn the inspiration into words and story. Finally I have done so.

When the Battle's Lost and Won

Kit', Kahara, Mira_Jade and 2 others like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

I have posted my story for Mira's First Line/Last Line challenge. It's in The Martian fandom (yes, blame Bri!) either the book or the movie should be fine to understand. Yay for the muse wanting to cooperate with something!! :D
    Hard Bargain