main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive misc Art.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cheveyo, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
  2. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    That stuff is frickin awsome! You did that all with pencils?

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Glad to see you back in here, Cheveyo! It's always a treat to check out your work! :D

With that said, I really love your style. There's just something about the way you color your work that really looks awesome. And the coloring you did in Photoshop in the last pic is just outstanding! How in the world did you manage to get it to look like that? :eek:

4. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Darth_Deception: That stuff is frickin awsome! You did that all with pencils?

Thanks. :) Not exactly all with pencils. For both of the colored pencil characters (Devery and Kyle), I used Photoshop to replace the shoddy lightsaber blades, and also added color reflection from the blades onto the character. The red and blue reflection on Kyle, for example, does not exist on the original piece.

With Kaatje, the drawing and the shading were all done in graphite first, then scanned in. Here is what Kaatje looked like befire my computer got ahold of her.
    Original Kaatje, posted in the fan art section 3 years ago.

It should be noted that the Photoshop coloring was all done with a mouse back then--I didn't break down and by a stylus until last year. This is also one reason why I'm re-coloring many of the pieces I first did.

HanSolo29: Glad to see you back in here, Cheveyo!

Thanks HS. :D

With that said, I really love your style. There's just something about the way you color your work that really looks awesome. And the coloring you did in Photoshop in the last pic is just outstanding! How in the world did you manage to get it to look like that?

Basically, I copied the original scanned image into new layers. Each layer was a part of the picture (her skin, her hair, her boots, etc etc). I then erased everything else in each layer to separate the different components.

With each component, I used the pen tool set on either Multiply, Overlay, or Color (depending on the desired affect) with a low opacity to color in the components.

The lightsaber was done using the Photoshop tutorial somewhere here at TF.N.

It was only later (ironically after I switched from Photoshop to Paint Shop Pro) that I learned the value of highlighting and shading digitally as after coloring... But we'll get to that later. ;)

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...interesting. I always like to read how an artist goes about making a piece of art. I especially liked seeing your drawing of Kaatje before you scanned her in the computer. That is some very nice pencil work you have going on there.

Also, thanks for the small tutorial on coloring. I'm just beginning to make the switch over to digital art and I'm slowly picking up Photoshop - most notably, coloring in Photoshop. I've colored one of my drawings so far and it turned out very rough. I was trying to hunt down new ways to get it more professional looking and tips on how to go around doing highlights and shadows and making them look believable. That really helped out a lot. :)

6. SundownSix

SundownSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2004
    I've gotta say, your designs were some of the few that caught my eye in the fan art gallery. I love the way that the gear and outfits all looks very much like something out of the films... It grips me most when art feels like Star Wars, meshes perfectly with the visual design of the Original Trilogy (not the biggest fan of the Prequel designs, but don't get me started on that) and yet add something new and unique. I think my favorite has to be the female bounty hunter protecting her loot. Which is sadly, not here. Great stuff.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Those are fantastic. I especially like the way you have paid attention to the way cloth folds - very difficult to get right if you're drawing from imagination.

8. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    HanSolo29: I'm just beginning to make the switch over to digital art and I'm slowly picking up Photoshop - most notably, coloring in Photoshop. I've colored one of my drawings so far and it turned out very rough. I was trying to hunt down new ways to get it more professional looking and tips on how to go around doing highlights and shadows and making them look believable. That really helped out a lot.

It took me FOREVER... and a day... to "break down" and use the computer for art. That's how I saw it, because that's how I had been taught to see it. The computer, in my mind, was cheating. It wasn't art. It was graphics.

Then, after some experience, I learned that it's just as hard as traditional art, often for the same reasons (how much shading, placement, etc etc). The one great feature that I sooo wish oil and acrylics had...

...The "Undo" command!! I go through many erasers.

SundownSix, thanks! Here are my two bounty hunters. The one you are referring to is "Guarding the Bounty". These were drawn back before I began using Photoshop for touch-up. they are both drawn in Prismacolor colored pencils, with graphite backgrouds. I want to say they were drawn in 1997.
    Terminal Illness
    Guarding the Bounty

soitscometothis Those are fantastic. I especially like the way you have paid attention to the way cloth folds - very difficult to get right if you're drawing from imagination.

Thank you. Fabric can be very tough. In this realm, I can say college helped out quite a bit. Not so much the classes as the environment as the instruction. I can't even begin to tell you how many draping sheets I drew!!

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Kudos to you, Cheveyo! Those are outstanding. =D=

My favorite is Guarding the Bounty. You really have some nice detail and craftsmanship going on in there. :)

It took me FOREVER... and a day... to "break down" and use the computer for art. That's how I saw it, because that's how I had been taught to see it. The computer, in my mind, was cheating. It wasn't art. It was graphics.

You know, I was exactly the same way at one time. I shunned anything that was done on the computer. But now that I actually took the time to try it out and experience it, I have changed my mind completely. It really does take a lot of work, time and skill to get things to look right. I agree with you there.

And you gotta love that "Undo" button! :D

10. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Cool pics! :D Those are awesome!

11. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Amazing! That pencil work is great, and that coloring... :D I've just learned how to do coloring myself a little while ago.

Undo command... exactly! A wonderful thing.

12. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    C-C-C-Cheveyo! I've been wondering if I'd ever see you again!

13. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    C-C-C-Cheveyo! I've been wondering if I'd ever see you again!

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I have to agree with SundownSix and say that your work is just "perfect Star Wars!" I've admired it for a long time, in the Fan Art Museum--your ability to capture movement and fluidity is phenomenal. The figures look as though they could walk right off the page (...screen...?), and the backgrounds are wonderful (love the ship, behind "Guarding the Bounty"!). How long have you been working in Prismacolor, and are they difficult to use/learn?

FF

15. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Rocie and ShrunkenJedi, Thanks for your comments.

SkyWookie, I always resurface somewhere. ;)

FalconFan, you asked: How long have you been working in Prismacolor, and are they difficult to use/learn?

I've been using Prsimacolors since high school (about 17 years since sophomore year~~sheesh!). I wouldn't see they are difficult to use, but it does take time, experimentation, and experience to find the right feel for your art. I guess you can say that for any medium, though.

Prismacolors are great in that they can blend well; however, their drawback is that once you put something down, it's there to stay (going back to that ubdo thingy). That's another tough lesson!

16. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Wow... some of that stuff is really amazing! I wish I could draw or digitally color like that. I love the outfits, especially on the bounty hunters, there's so much attention paid to detail. Nice work.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been a long time admirer of your work Cheveyo. It's always a treat to see new, or old, pieces of your's because of their originality and beautiful execution. Your characters are always believable.

I really like Gaurding the Bounty. The detailing in her costume is fantastic. :)

18. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Thank you, both. And thanks, Obi-dawn, for sticking around with me. :D

These next two oldies are arguably goodies. The first one has received the most... feedback. It is the last prismacolor character drawing I did, and was completed in 2000. She was drawn for an online forum-goer (not TF.N) who was a fan of both SW and Anastasia. Despite what some have said, I still like this one. ;)
    Anya Talya

Prryo Gurryn
    This interesting character was my first pencil drawing-turned-digital color. He's undergone a few re-colors, including a background design change. This is the latest iteration...

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Outstanding update, Cheveyo. I don't know exactly why your first drawing seemed to have recieved negative feedback, but I think it's an amazing drawing. Once again, the coloring is superb and even the combination of the Jedi and the Anastasia character works well.

My favorite, however, is Prryo Gurryn. I love the species design. I don't think I've ever come across it before in the Star Wars Universe and I'm assuming you came up with it yourself. It's a very original idea. :)

20. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    I think it was just a few people who didn't like the genre combination for Anya.

Yes, Master Prryo is a unique race, created by yours truly one slow day at the office. The backstory came later.

He actually as an idea for modelling a Jedi after our cat--hence the facial markings and reversed-articulated legs.

I didn't think to make him blue until I had began coloring his tunic. I could find a suitable "natural/elemental" color for him. Then I thought," well, some cat's could be construed as blue-ish gray...", and there ya have it. ;)

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm with HanSolo29, your Prryo Gurryn rendering is outstanding. Your work on cloth-folds really is very realistic, and is that some texturing or patterning on his wrap? Looks impressive. Highlights on the leather belt are also pretty flash. Did you do all that using your graphics tablet? Is it much easier to use than a mouse?

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Once again, beautiful! I'm going with everyone else here, and say--of these latest two--I like Prryo Gurryn the best: his pose is very dymanic, with the outstretched hand (paw?), and the "feline" features are great! And, as always, the fabric work is stunning. The richness of your pieces is luscious--the coloring, the fluidity. Beautiful. =D=

FF

23. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    soitscometothis: Your work on cloth-folds really is very realistic, and is that some texturing or patterning on his wrap? Looks impressive. Highlights on the leather belt are also pretty flash. Did you do all that using your graphics tablet? Is it much easier to use than a mouse?

The texturing was done all in graphite pencil before the coloring. Here is what he looked like before that:
    Prryo original

The coloring for this guy was done long before I switched to a stylus. It was done painstakingly (I cannot emphasize that enough) with a mouse. When it comes to anything artistic, a styuls is always the better choice. I have much more control over your movements.

And thank you, FalconFan. As I'm looking at the colors for Prryo, I'm thinking I might wind up with yet another iteration!! We'll see. ;)

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, I have to add aside from your coloring, your skills with a pencil are superb as well. That pencil drawing is amazing. :)

I'm still pondering whether to get a stylus or not. I don't do much coloring in Photoshop at the moment and when I do, I get frustrated cause my mouse isn't the best in the world. I think the thing I'm having the most problems with regarding coloring is staying within the lines(which is proving difficult with my mouse) and actually getting the shading to look believable.

25. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    That's exactly the problem I had, HS. I couldn't get any significant control out of the mouse.

I would say if the opportunity ever arises to grab a stylus... DO IT! It sounds like it's not type priority for ya, so take your time, wit for sales, and better still, ask for Computer store gift cards for Xmas and B-day! ;)

I eventually broke down and bought my Wacom pad after getting two Best Buy certificates for Xmas last year. That put the tablet in my price range pretty darn quick. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.