main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Missions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I found it was inevitable that they got some company.

Thank you so much. I wasn't too sure of the beginning of this history. I try the best I can to make Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in character.

Nobody??? *pointing at the comment from @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha *:D

I hope so too, else the entire Star Wars would be in jeopardy. Who would find Anakin then? [face_thinking]

2. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Chapter 7: Surface Investigations

The stunned silence hung heavily in the air. "No," Shalk gasped, "they cannot be down there. If so they cannot possibly have survived almost 5 days without food and water."

Bant felt her eyes watering slightly. Jedi weren't supposed to form attachments, but Obi-Wan was her friend, for Force's sake. She didn't want him to die, and particularly not by starving to death or being dehydrated. It was not fair.

"That may not be entirely true," Rilekh said slowly, "if they should be down there, and I cannot fathom how that could have happened or what may have happened to the wall, there is water to be found there. The mines were partly filled with water and I know that the inner part of the lower cave in 'Old Abyss' has a sub terrestrial lake. It's not very large, but it's there. They may have found water to drink."

"So if they're really there, they may still be alive," Shalk asked hopefully.

"Yes, as long as they have been able to find the water, it is possible. But how do we find out if they're really down there? It's not like we can send someone to check."

"How deep is the mineshaft leading down to the lower cave?" Tahl asked. "Would it be possible to dig through the soil that has filled it?"

Rilekh looked doubtfully at the relatively small pile of soil, and stroke his chin pensively.

"No, I don't think so. It's about 5 meter deep, and relatively narrow. It would be difficult to dig anything up through the shaft and we cannot use explosives on the ground. That may open an entrance to the lower cave but if your friends really are there, there is a real danger that they could end up under tons of stone."

"Oh, no," Bant exclaimed.

"But how can we find out if they're there?" Shalk asked."It's not like we can comm them. Or can we? No, I guess not. If they had been able to use a comm link they would probably have commed for help days ago."

Tahl had been uncharacteristically quiet during the discussion, not participating in it except for one sole question. Now she decided that time had come to intervene.

"We need to find out if they're really there before we do any attempts on reaching the lower level of the mine," she said. "No need in digging like a loth rabbit if they're somewhere else."

"But how?" Shalk wondered.

"If you can please be quiet for a while, I will try to reach them," she said. "When I lost my sight I learned to walk freely by sensing the force signatures from the surroundings. With some luck I should be able to check if there are some living beings below us. I know those two very well so I believe I will be able to recognize their force signatures. Bant, you may stay and help me. You know Obi-Wan well and should be able to sense him. You may be able to enhance my own abilities."

The two men were stunned. They had heard about the mystical, almost mythical, jedi and their supernatural powers but they had never seen one in action before.

Tahl gestured towards the huge flat stone.

"Sit down over there," she suggested, "I don't think this will take a long time. After all I'm not trying to communicate with them, only sense if there are someone there."

Graciously she fell down on her knees in a meditative pose, eyes half closed and listening to the vibrations from the surroundings. Bant knelt down beside her, putting one hand lightly on her Master's shoulder.

Dark. So dark. I can feel the deep humming from the rock below us and the lighter tunes from the gravel and soil. There is space below us and more darkness. I can feel the chill from the stones deep down, but also the lighter waves from the water. Rilekh was right. There is water down there somewhere. But no lifeforms. No. Wait. There is something there, but it's so muted, I cannot really grasp what it is. Or who it is? If it's them, there should be two, but I can sense only one. Or…maybe….the muted one must be Qui-Gon. He's just not his usual energetic self. But, yes, it's him. I would recognize the force signature anywhere. But…does that mean that Obi-Wan is dead? No, Force, don't let it be that way. Qui wouldn't manage without his padawan now.

She sank deeper into the half-mediation, fully in sync with the humming of the Force.

Oh, there is more. There really is one more of them. Yes, the bright strong vibrations are further away, that's why I didn't sense them at first. That must be Obi-Wan. His force presence was always so bright. He just have to be further away from here. He seems tired but yet determined. Good. He's almost as stubborn as Qui. I wish I was able to send them a message, but I have no bond with Obi-Wan so I cannot. Maybe Bant would be able to do so. She knows Obi-Wan better than I, but I guess she's not strong enough yet.

And with that Tahl broke the meditative state she'd been in, but before doing so she channeled as much comfort and courage as she could to the two life forms in the cave. "Hang in there, help is coming."

Slowly she opened her unseeing eyes and glanced towards the two men who had been sitting quietly on the huge rock.

"They're there," she said, "they're really there. I could sense two life forms. One of them, I think it's Master Jinn, is probably ill somehow. He felt so muted. The other one is, I think, tired and hungry, but in better shape still."

"Oh, Master," Bant shot in, "we need to get them out quickly, but how?"

"You are right, my Padawan. 'How' is the imperative word here," Tahl thought. She was a both resourceful and creative jedi but right now she felt at a loss. How in all the galaxy's stars and moons would it be possible to haul out two fellow jedi who were buried under tons of rock and soil, without risking 'contact of third degree' between said rock and the two jedi? She didn't say it.

"A very good question, my Padawan," she said. "We will have to invent a way."

Had she been able to see, she would have seen the two males staring at her in disbelief. Instead she felt their bewilderment through the Force.

Think, Tahl, think. You cannot let your best friend and his padawan die down there, just because you don't get any ideas. But those blasted ideas have to turn up quickly. They cannot last for an eternity buried down there. They need to be extracted as soon as possible.

"Let's get out of here," she said, knowing that the two humans would feel more at ease under open sky.

The evening air felt fresh and cool towards their skin when they emerged from the mine. The quartet was silent, each and every one of them pondering about the destiny of the two living beings below their feet.

Then Tahl raised her head. I a faint glimmer of an idea had begun to form in her head.

"Mr. Rilekh," she said, "I've noticed that you seem to know this area in detail. Why is that?"

Rilekh blushed slightly.

"I more or less grew up here, Ma'am, I mean Master Jedi. My father was a tourist guide in the mines in his free time. He was very interested in the local history of the area. I enjoyed being with him when he brought groups of tourists down into the caves and mines."

Tahl nodded. The glimmer of hope she had felt some moments earlier steadied to a weak flame. A potential solution was beginning to form in her mind. It was uncertain, but with some luck it might work.

"You mentioned earlier that if they had found the water in the lower cave they might still be alive. It seems to me as you were right, since I could sense two lifeforms down there. Do you have any idea where the water comes from? Is it simply groundwater or is it coming from some known reservoir?"

Rilekh shook his head. "I don't know for sure. Nobody really knows. For quite obvious reasons no-one has investigated that in detail. When the mines were operating the challenge was to get the water out, whenever it occurred, and after the mining operations stopped, nobody really cared. Every now and then there were tourists who wanted to dive in the caves but for safety reasons it was never allowed."

"Dive in the caves?" Tahl asked. "Does that mean that there are other mines nearby which are filled with water?"

Rilekh seemed bewildered: "Yes, of course. Several of them have reservoirs of water in the bottom. Water is, or was, a huge problem in the mining industry."

Tahl nodded in agreement.

"If so, Mr. Rilekh, I have two things to ask from you. Firstly: where is the cave closest to 'Old Abyss' which is fully or partly filled with water at about the same level as in the Abyss? And secondly: Is there somewhere, preferably at this time of the day, where we can find a rope? It needs to be long. And it needs to be light as well. And, while we're at it - a waterproof glow rod wouldn't be too bad either."

Her three companions looked at her with facial expressions varying from astonishment (Rilekh), admiration (Coran) and to increasing understanding (Bant).

"Glow rods can be found in the storage room over there. I'm sure there are some waterproof ones as well. The guides wants to be on the safe side, in case they should lose a glow rod when they're down in the mines. I know there are some safety ropes to. They use them for climbing in the less explored caves. I have no idea if it's light enough for whatever it is you're thinking of," Rilekh explained. "When it comes to the cave issue there is one natural cave over there. It was never really a part of any mining operation because there has always been a pool of water in the bottom and when exploring it there were no real traces of minerals there anyways. The water is quite deep there…"

Tahl nodded: "Do you by any chance happen to have the key to the storage room?"

"I…no, of course not," Rilekh answered.

"Can you get it from someone?"

"I guess, well, yes. My brother is working as a guide too, so he has a key."

Tahl brightened visibly: "If so, would you please comm your brother and ask him to come here with the key. If there are some persons of authority who must give their permission to diving in the cave you mentioned, please comm that person as well."

"But the caves are dangerous. The water is cold there and nobody really knows what it is like down there," Rilekh objected.

Tahl drew her breath and exhaled slowly again.

"I'm sure you're right. It would be dangerous for a human," she said. "But my padawan, apprentice, here is not human. She's Mon Calamari and water is her favored element. No, more than that, it's the element she belongs to. Bant, I know it may be a bit risky, but would you be willing to go down in the cave Mr. Rilekh told us about and try to find out if there's a subsea connection to from that one to 'Old Abyss'. If you bring the rope with you you can follow that back again if the cave splits. Or we can pull you out if anything happens. I won't force you to do it, but if you were willing, I believe that's the best chance we have now. If there's not an opening, we've just lost a couple of hours anyways."

Bant nodded solemnly: "Yes, Master. I can do it."

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    And we will soon learn how Jedi do spelunking!

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Tahl is amazing! She came up with a perfect solution and Bant is literally the one for it! =D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    That may open an entrance to the lower cave but if your friends really are there, there is a real danger that they could end up under tons of stone."

Ah, a little dynamite never hurt nobody! :p

would it be possible to haul out two fellow jedi who were buried under tons of rock and soil

Dynamite. It's explosive. :D And it might just solve ol' Sheevy's problems for him. ;)

"I more or less grew up here, Ma'am,

Maybe he knows of other mine shafts that might connect to the one Qui-Gon is in?

The water is quite deep there…

Is she gonna swim it? [face_idea]

She's Mon Calamari and water is her favored element.

Ah, now it all makes sense again. :)

"Yes, Master. I can do it."

And then Palpatine can slather Bant with butter after boiling her in the water!!! Mwahahaha! [face_devil] [face_skull]

Enjoying this very much. =D=

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  6. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Spe...what???? Google translate couldn't help me on that one. 8-}

Tahl is on top of things. If I'm not careful I end up making poor Tahl a 'Mary-Sue' :confused: But for the next chapter it may be Bant's turn to rise and shine.

I really, really, really hope it's the story you enjoy, and not poor Bant slathered with butter. She's not a lobster, you know. :([face_praying]

Thanks for reading and commenting all of you. @};-

7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Spelunking = cave diving.

Vek Talis, AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    In German a "Spelunke" is a very dirty pub with a rotten public. Something that you would see for example in the Edgar Wallace movies, that are based on his crime novels.

Hum, basically a pub that has a regular crowd like this one:

As for the update, I am enchanted. And like your heroine a lot!

Vek Talis likes this.
  9. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Diving coming up, I mean....down [face_mischief]

Vek Talis likes this.
  10. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Chapter 8: Out of the Darkness

Bant Eerin was not a happy Jedi Padawan, at least not in this moment. After a minor waiting time they had got the rope and a rather strong waterproof glowrod as well. And a lot of spectators too. In the moment Rilekh's brother had been commed and asked about the necessary gear to enter the cave, he'd felt that he had to inform the Museum of Mining's manager, whom in turn commed the authorities. It had taken Tahl all her persuasive skills and then some more to convince them that it was perfectly rational to send a 13 year old girl down into an old cave to try to find an opening in the cave wall and then presumably an under water channel to a nearby mine.

Tahl was very good in persuading other people, when needed be.

Bant was all for the idea and if Obi-Wan was down there she'd do almost anything to save him. She didn't worry one single bit about the water and the diving. Water was home. Water was life. Water made you weightless and able to move with ease and grace. No, she didn't care about the water. Actually that would be a nice swim after a long day on the dusty planet surface. Nor did she worry about the darkness. From above the water seemed pitch black but she knew that once she had dived her large and sensitive eyes would be able to see through the water, if not with ease, then with enough accuracy to see contours and the potential opening in the cave wall. The waters of Mon Cala were deep and black too, and her people was well adapted to deep, dark waters.

None of those were a problem.

The rock was a different story. She was not overly fond of heights, and she was not too convinced about her ability of climbing the 5-6 meters down the wall until she reached the water. Most likely she would lose her grip half way down and splash down into the water like a giant fish. If she'd only were one of the bird people of Kareen… "But then again," she thought glumly, "I would have had problems with the water."

Her musings were interrupted by Tahl's soft voice: "Are you OK, Padawan? Are you sure you can go through with this? And that the rope is well tied?"

Bant swallowed hard: "Yes, Master. I'm ready. And the knot is tightly tied. I'm ready to go down."

"We will secure you during the climbing," Shalk ensured her. "We will not let you fall."

"Thanks," she said meekly, and with that she began descending.

She reached the water surface without any mishaps and her self-confidence notched up a bit. So, she wasn't a natural born mountaineer, but she could at least do this without embarrassing herself and her Master. Good to know.

"I'll untie the rope now and just tie it loosely to my utility belt," she shouted up to the small crowd surrounding the cave. "I need to be able to move freely."

And with that she dived gracefully below the surface.

The water was wonderfully cool and clear after spending a day on the dusty surface, and she allowed herself to relish the feeling for a moment before she began to explore the underwater cave walls. They were surprisingly smooth. The cave had probably been formed by erosion. Gradually she worked her way downwards towards wherever the bottom might be.

Eventually she saw it, slightly above the natural "floor" of the cave was a darker spot in the wall, which at closer inspection revealed itself to be an new cave. It was somewhat elongated but she saw that with her small frame she could enter quite comfortably. But first she had to notice her friends on the surface.

She rose directly to the surface, hoping she wouldn't drift in one direction or the other. Before entering the cave she would really like to know that it wasn't in the total opposite direction of 'Old Abyss'. She wasn't afraid of going in per se but she'd really not like to waste time of exploring the entire subsurface cave system of the area.

Her face broke the surface and she changed from breathing from gills to lungs again.

"I've found an opening," she shouted. "It's right here in this direction. Does that comply with the direction to 'Old Abyss'?"

After a moment the answer came: "Yes, it's on this side."

"Good," she replied, "I'll go down now. I'll explore the opening and if possible I'll go in and see if I can find them. Just be sure you have enough rope to feed, it must be some distance to the adjacent cave."

"Be careful, Padawan," Tah instructed, "If you're in doubt of what to do, return at once."

"Yes, Master!" And with that Bant dived again.

Now that she had a confirmation that she might be on the right track, she went straight for the opening. She was grateful for her slender frame allowing her fairly good space so she progressed rapidly. A couple of times the rope got stuck but she managed to loosen it quickly and proceeded. The underwater tunnel narrowed slightly and for a moment she felt anxiety rising. She could easily get through, Obi-Wan could possibly do the same, but would they manage to squeeze Master Jinn through it? That would be…interesting. Well, there was nothing she could do about it, so she continued.

And then free water appeared. She could sense the open surface above her and stopped for a moment to pull enough of the rope through to be able to rise without getting stuck. Another cave. The air was slightly stale and dusty and her gills protested immediately to the environment before she pulled them tightly closed. Lung breathing would have to do again. She lit the glow rod and a warm yellow light spread over the cave.

On the other side of the lake she could see solid ground and something that seemed to be a tunnel.

Good, that must be the opening between this cave and the 'Abyss'. I cannot possibly follow that tied to the rope so I will have to untie it. I just hope that Master Tahl won't be too worried when I cease to move. I really wouldn't like to have any humans coming that way on their own. I prefer to have that opening…open, not plugged by someone stuck in there.

Quickly she untied the rope from her belt and secured it to a protrusion in the wall. Hopefully it would stay there until she came back. She wouldn't even think about her Master's reaction if they pulled the rope and found no Padawan in the other end.

A few moments later she stood on solid ground on the other side. The cave was relatively large, still she got a nearly claustrophobic feeling. She couldn't really pinpoint why but somehow she felt the reminiscence of something…evil. It wasn't a living being, more like an echo from days past. She shook off the feeling and proceeded carefully up the tunnel.

The passed by a place where a huge amount of soil and gravel seemed to have blocked a tunnel and for a moment she felt bewildered. If this was the 'Abyss', where in all the galaxy had Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon disappeared? If they had gone looking for another entrance by the end of the tunnel in front of her she might be in trouble if there were any branching of the tunnel ahead. Yet, it seemed like they had stayed here for some time because there was very clear visual traces showing that someone had been trying to dig through the blockade. Said someone had done a good progress, she could tell from the look of it, but again: where was he?

She decided to continue forward.

The tunnel curved a bit and she drew a sigh of relief. Two unmistakably human figures were sitting in the tunnel, both of them shielding their eyes toward the unexpected light from the glow rod. Relief flooded her. They were alive, and they were at least able to sit up.

"Master Jinn, Obi-Wan, so good to see you," she exclaimed.

"Bant?" An entire world of surprise could be heard in Obi-Wan's voice uttering that single word, "what in the galaxy are you doing here?"

Bant made a small bow.

"First of all: searching for the two of you, secondly: attempting to rescue you," she answered dryly, before falling down on her knees and hugging him tightly.

"But where did you come from?"

"Padawan mine, I thought you would be able to see the obvious, in particular now when we have cast more light over the situation," Qui-Gon's deep baritone voice shot in, "Bant is a Mon Calamari and I would bet my entire moustache that there is an underwater tunnel somewhere which she has been able to swim through."

"Oh, right," Obi-Wan agreed, slightly ashamed of himself.

Bant nodded: "You're right Master Jinn. That's how I came in. We learned that there was a cave partly filled with water nearby and Master Tahl came to the conclusion that there might be sub terrestrial tunnels between the caves and that the waterway possibly was open even though the regular tunnels and mineshaft were blocked. But what happened here?"

"We were on our way out after finding the holocron we were asked to look for and suddenly the entire amount of soil and rock and debris that was blocking the tunnel to this mineshaft came avalanching down upon us. I have no idea how it happened because it was some distance between the hindrance and this shaft and still it managed to fill the shaft completely," Qui-Gon explained."I was climbing the ladder when it happened and a rock hit me in my head, so I was knocked out cold. Obi-Wan managed to pull me away and drag me to the side of the cave. It took me a couple of days to wake up again."

"Actually you were beginning to wake up after less than one day," Obi-Wan shot in, "I had to 'sedate' you with a sleep suggestion after that."

"What? You couldn't do that? Could you? You can only do mind tricks to the weak-minded…" Qui-Gon's voice trailed off.

A mischievous grin flashed over his Padawan's face.

"Right, Master, and you were never so weak-minded as in a half unconscious state and with a concussion, so it was quite easily done, actually. I thought it would be better for your concussion if you stayed out of it for a while more," he added.

"Well, my head injury feels much better now, the big question is now: can we get out the same way you came in, Bant or do we have to wait until someone is digging us out? And almost as important - you didn't bring a lunchbox, did you? Almost 5 days on water only has made us wonder which leg we will start gnawing on first."

Bant was shocked for a moment until she realised that Master Jinn was only joking.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think of that. I should have brought something to eat."

"No, that's fine," the Jedi Mater comforted her, "you couldn't know if you would find us here or the state we'd be in."

"Actually I knew," she retorted, "Master Tahl could sense two lifeforms down here."

"Pathetic lifeforms…," Obi-Wan sighed.

Bant looked at the two, faces grimed by dirt and clothes torn by the meeting with the rocks.

"Very much so," she agreed.

"Now, after this exchange of pleasantries," Qui-Gon shot in, "is it possible for us to get out the way you came, Bant, or do we have to wait?"

"Obi-Wan can get out, he's not that much larger than me," she stated. "I'm more uncertain about you, Master Jinn," there is a part of the passage which is fairly narrow. Maybe if you stripped off your cloak and tunic…? If Obi and I go first we could try to pull you through. I have a rope with me."

"I'm not going anywhere without my Master," Obi-Wan stated. "If he must stay, so will I."

"No, you're not, Padawan," Qui-Gon said plainly, "you will leave this place with Bant as soon as you can."

"Not happening, Master. Sorry."

Bant sighed. "If the two of you could stop bickering, we may give it a try. The big question is: do you have your rebreathers? "

The two males checked their utility belts and confirmed that rebreathers were still in place.

"Good. If you're able to stand up and walk, Master Jinn, let's get out of here."

On slightly wobbly feet the two male Jedi stood up and began to walk towards the lake cave. They had just passed by the second avalanche when Obi-Wan suddenly turned and ran back again.

"Obi, wait, where are you going?" Bant shouted after him. A faint: "Forgot the holocron," was all she could hear.

A couple of minutes later he was back with a firm grip around the holocron, and they were able to proceed towards the lake.

"How deep is it?" Qui-Gon asked as they stood by the pitch black lake.

"Not so deep," Bant comforted. "The tunnel is on the other side, about 2 meters down. It is rather narrow in this end so that's where you will struggle, Master Jinn, but it becomes wider if you can get through the first 4 meters or so."

"I think you're right, Bant. Obi-Wan and you have to go first and if I'm stuck you'd better pull all you can… Else I will have to back out and you will go for help. I think the best option, if so, is to dig me out from the tunnel where Obi-Wan have begun to work from this side. I assume your friends on the surface will know where it's entrance is."

"But, Master…" Obi-Wan said.

"No arguing Padawan. I appreciate your loyalty, but I want you out of here. And you promised to obey me when you took the Padawan Oath."

"Yes, Master," Obi-Wan sighed.

And with that Qui-Gon Jinn took off his clothes leaving only the leggings and the boots on. The latter would be necessary for the climbing when they emerged from the tunnel. He didn't allow himself thinking 'if'. In the last moment he pulled the rebreather from his utility belt and clenched it between his teeth.

The next one to enter the water was Obi-Wan, but he didn't come far before a high pitched voice shrieked in panic: "Stop. I'm drowning."

Bant looked at him in astonishment, and he returned so he could set his feet on firm ground again. He reached inside his tunic and pulled out the holocron. The annoying voice seemed to come from it. Reluctantly he opened it and could see a very panicked 'Messenger' jumping up and down in fury.

"You're killing me," he shrieked. "I knew it, the Jedi are evil."

"I'm not killing you, you're only a hologram," Obi-Wan sighed. "You cannot be killed."

"Well, short circuited then," the Messenger pouted,"water will do me harm."

"Obi-Wan sighed: "When we've had so much trouble for your sake, you will not be let behind 'd better hope that the holocron is well made so the water want penetrate it. If so, you should be totally safe."

And with that he closed the holocron firmly, ignoring the panicked protests from the little guy.

Bant had been right. She and Obi-Wan could easily get through the passage. Qui-Gon was stuck. For some more than exciting moments he seemed to be unable to move either back or forth but then Obi-Wan managed to get a good foothold in the stone wall and with a determined pull he made the mountain release it's prey. They were through.

A wild cheering from above greeted them when they broke the surface, and the rope which was still wrapped around Qui-Gon's naked chest was tightened.

"You climb first, Master," Obi-Wan decided. "I'll wait here with Bant."

Qui-Gon, too tired and worn to argue just nodded in agreement and began to climb. Strong hands were pulling him over the edge and he could see daylight for the first time in days. A slender cloaked woman knelt beside him and embraced him fiercely.

"Tahl, I…."

"Oh, you stubborn old bantha, I'd nearly thought we'd lost you," she murmured relishing in the sense of his bare skin towards her palms, "I'm so glad we came in time."

"So am I," he sighed, "so am I." And with that he returned the fierce hug.

Obi-Wan was the next to be hauled over the edge. His hands were torn and sore from the digging he'd made, but else unharmed.

Then Bant came. She was more or less pulled up by strong hands so she hardly had to climb at all. A new burst of cheering greeted her as Rilekh and Shalk pulled her up and embraced her. Her cheeks had transformed into a deep crimson before she was released and could proceed into her Master's waiting arms.

"Bant, I'm so proud of you right now," Tahl praised, "I knew you would make me proud some day, I just hadn't foreseen that the day would come a little more than a week into our partnership."

Vek Talis likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the bantering and the exuberant welcome after that very superb rescue! Bant definitely came through splendidly! =D=

Vek Talis and CaraJinn like this.
  12. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    She wouldn't even think about her Master's reaction if they pulled the rope and found no Padawan in the other end

Something of the likes of: Aaahhhhh!

"what in the galaxy are you doing here?"

Did he forget he was lost? :p

You can only do mind tricks to the weak-minded…" Qui-Gon's voice trailed off.

A mischievous grin flashed over his Padawan's face.

Heh. Somebody's gonna get smacked. :p

Qui-Gon was stuck.

Diet time for Master. :p

Great rescue. The Messenger was funny, too. Drown a hologram? Not likely. I wonder what they're going to do with the holocron now?

13. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Master had already had some days of diet time. And, well, when it comes to holograms...

Vek Talis likes this.
  14. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Chapter 9: Missions Accomplished

The quartet had gathered in Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's suite. They had both gotten a nice bath and Qui-Gon's scratches after his rather unpleasant meeting with the mountain had been rinsed and bandaged thoroughly. Now he was propped up on the couch with a tray of soup and some freshly baked bread in front of him. Obi-Wan, much in the same condition as his Master minus the bandages, resided in a huge armchair. Tahl and Bant had found themselves a couple of more modest chairs. They all had loaded trays of food in front of them. After the rescue they had been driven back to the hotel as quickly as possible and Qui-Gon had expressed their thanks to the now extended rescue party before disappearing towards the room and the shower with Obi-Wan in his wake. Tahl and Bant had been left to say the final goodbyes with their new friends. Rilekh had been given all the credits they could spare and wholehearted thanks before he left accompanied by Shalk, presumably aiming for the nearest bar. ("Keep in mind that you should be able to leave at 9th hour tomorrow, Mr. Coran.")

….

"Be careful with the food, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon admonished, "your stomach isn't used to much of it by now."

"I know, Master," Obi-Wan confirmed, and showeled a new spoonful of the thick and tasty soup into his mouth, "but after all we're gonna pay for five breakfasts we never got…"

Tahl chuckled by the well known banter between Master and Padawan.

"How come that you were trapped there?" she asked. "According to what Mr. Rilekh told us, it should be almost impossible for the mineshaft to get plugged that way. Even if the material from the collapsed ceiling had started an avalanche it shouldn't be able to gather only in the shaft the way it did."

Qui-Gon shook his head slowly and carefully.

"I have no idea. When we came it plugged the entire cross section of the upper tunnel and I agree with your friend, it shouldn't have been possible. Yet it did. We had no warning, it just happened."

"That's not entirely true, Master," Obi-Wan shot in, "just before it came tumbling down I felt…something. It was like the Force became more dense and focused. I don't understand it but it felt like something or someone willed it to happen."

"You mean, like a Force user was doing it deliberately? But Obi-Wan, that's not possible. It would require a very advanced Force wielder to do such a thing."

"I know," Obi-Wan sighed glumly, "I'm just referring to what I felt."

"But you did find the holocron?" Tahl asked.

"We did," Qui-Gon confirmed. "It was hidden in an niche in the wall in the same cave where the lake was. The Sith must have placed it there before the opening to that cave was closed."

"May I see it?"

"Of course, Master Tahl," Obi-Wan abandoned his now empty soup bowl with a mournful expression and went into his own sleeping chamber. The holocron was handed over to Tahl who immediately dropped it to the floor.

"Ow, it hurts!"

Qui-Gon watched her with interest.

"That happened to me as well. I had to let Obi-Wan handle it because it felt like it was burning my hands. For some reason I do not understand, it doesn't have the same effect on him."

"Really? That's interesting, to say the least." Tahl arced an elegant eyebrow in surprise. "Bant, would you mind trying to hold it. Maybe it has something to do with age?"

"Sure, Master," Bant said and bent down to pick up the holocron, just to drop it instantaneously.

"Ow, it's burning…"

"Not the age then," Tahl muttered. "Obi-Wan, would you mind?"

Obi-Wan lifted up the holocron and put it on the table in-between them.

"It gives me a tingling feeling and it's unpleasant," he explained, "but it doesn't hurt."

"Well, I guess you will be the one who bring it before the council then," she said, "maybe they can handle it - and open it."

"It's easy to open," Bant shot in, "at least for Obi. He opened it before we left the cave. The little guy inside was really angry with us."

"What?" Qui-Gon inquired, "are you able to open it, Obi-Wan?"

"Yes, Master. Somehow it must have opened itself the first time, so when I found it after you fell it was half open and The Messenger presented a riddle. Or a prophecy. Or something. I didn't understand much of it. Then I closed it again but when he began screaming by the lake I had to open it and ask him to shut up. You were already busy fastening the rope by then."

"Can you open it now?" Tahl asked.

"I guess so, but should I? Shouldn't that be left to the Council? Or Master Nu?"

"Maybe so,"Qui-Gon admitted, "but do it anyways."

Obi-Wan placed his hands around the holocron and immediately it began to open, letting the sickly orange-brown light seep out from the opening and The Messenger appeared."

"Now, you're finished drowning me," he exclaimed dramatically.

"I didn't drown you," Obi-Wan protested,"you're here and you're able to talk. You didn't even short circuit."

The little figure crossed it's arms over the chest and pouted.

"Give us your message," Obi-Wan ordered.

The light inside the holocron flickered.

"I gave it to you before."

"Do it again."

"No, I'm dying. Can't you see the colour of the light? The power cell is running low."

"Do it."

With a deep sigh The Messenger straightened again and delivered his message:

From the dark land of light

his destiny bright

Brought to the kingdom

alone did he come.

Light will stand by him, darkness engulf him

warrior's fall, a new era begins.

Created by flames, a Lord clad in black

our enemy old he he will hunt and attack.

Destiny's child, trained by the wise,

by his appearance the Sith shall arise.

Once again the holocron went black and the little figure flickered and disappeared.

Bant and Qui-Gon stared incredulously on the holocron.

"He…it…died," Bant whispered in awe.

"What does that mean?" Qui-Gon gaped.

A chill of reconnaissance went through Tahl's body as the memory of another riddle, another prophecy from another mission in days long gone rushed through her memory. Somehow, in a way she couldn't fathom, this message, dark and sinister as it was, seemed to be related to the familiar 'Chosen One' prophecy. Somehow those two appeared to be intertwined and yet two opposites, one speaking about the restored light the other of the rising darkness.

She surely would need to discuss this with Masters Yoda and Windu once they were back in the Temple.

"I have no idea," Obi-Wan sighed, "it sounds vaguely familiar, but I have only heard it once, when it opened by accident in the cave. It seemed as if it was malfunctioning already back then because when he spoke it seemed like it was losing it's power somehow and it shut down."

With a sigh Tahl rose from her seat.

"Well, I doubt that we will solve that mystery here and now. You need to get some proper rest both of you, and so do Bant and I. It has been a most busy day. We will return to our quarters and meet you downstairs for breakfast at 8th hour tomorrow."

"Seven-thirty," Obi-Wan protested. After starving for several days he was even willing to renounce the soft bed half an hour earlier than needed be for indulging in the hotel's excellent breakfast

The two Master/Padawan teams were patiently waiting outside the Council Chamber. They had arrived the eventing before and by mild threats from Tahl and more persistent pleading from Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon had given in and gone directly to the Healers Ward. He had been released without being soaked in bacta, but effectively patched up with pale red bacta bandages all over his torso, and one more in his temple for good measure. Obi-Wan hadn't escaped the healers' attention either so he was wearing something that seemed to be pale red gloves, to Bant's amusement.

"Blasted bacta gloves," he muttered. "I am even unable to hold my toothbrush in a decent way."

Bant giggled silently.

"You may enter now," the Padawan in the reception said and gestured towards the huge entrance doors which lead to the Council Chamber.

The two Master/Padawan teams entered, proceeded to the inner circle and bowed to the Council.

"Master Uvain and Padawan Eerin, successful your first mission was," Master Yoda proclaimed. "Find our missing team you did. Your combined strengths saved our friends lives. Grateful to you both the Council is."

"Thank you, Masters," Tahl answered and gave her report in a clear and concise manner.

"Master Jinn and Padawan Kenobi," Mace Windu continued. "You were also able to solve your mission. You managed to get the senators into the deep core and you also managed to find the rumoured holocron during your mission. After Master Jinn has delivered your report please give the holocron to me."

The two jedi bowed in unison and Qui-Gon gave an oral report of the events which had lead to the discovery of the holocron and their captivity in the mine.

"And now the holocron, please," Mace asked when the report was finished.

"Yes, Master Windu," Obi-Wan said and took two steps forward and put his right hand inside the tunic to pick up the holocron. He pulled it out and handed it over to Mace Windu….and it slipped. The bacta gloves made his hands more slippery than they usually were and the holocron slipped and dropped to the floor. Obi-Wan's face changed colour into a beautiful crimson.

"I'm sorry, Master Windu," he stuttered. "It slipped right out of my hand."

"No worries, Padawan," Mace said calmly and picked up the holocron.

The quartet gaped.

"What is it? You seem like you've dropped down from one of the moons in the outer rim?"

Qui-Gon intervened: "I'm sorry Master Windu, it's just that until now Obi-Wan has been the only one able to hold the blasted thing. Everyone else who have tried, including me, have experienced a burning sensation when touching it."

Mace Windu frowned: "Really? Step forward and touch it, Qui-Gon. Let's see if it still has that effect on you."

Carefully Qui-Gon lifted up the holocron. He felt nothing.

"Tahl, will you try?"

She nodded and held out her hand to receive the holocron. When Qui-Gon laid it in her palm it rested peacefully there. She didn't feel anything.

"It's dead," Bant's soft voice echoed through the room. "He was, sort of right, he was drowned."

"Who's he?" Mace asked confused.

"The Messenger. The little guy in the holocron. He said that Obi-Wan was drowning him when we left the cave."

Obi-Wan frowned.

"Masters, I believe the holocron was damaged in the avalanche. When I picked it up afterwards it was partly open so I opened it a bit more and got it's message. While 'The Messenger' was speaking it actually seemed to lose it's power. It must have been barely enough power there to give the message a second time when we opened it again in the hotel."

Mace sighed: "I'm afraid you're right Padawan Kenobi. It must have been damaged. I will deliver it to Master Nu in case she can repair it, but I wouldn't count on it. However, if all of you heard the message you may write it down while it's still fresh in your memories and deliver the notes to Master Nu. At least we will know what it contained."

The four jedi bowed in unison.

"You are dismissed, and the Council recedes," Master Windu announced.

Tahl was the last one to leave the Council Chamber.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! Incredibly fascinating that Obi-Wan is the only one to be able to handle the Holocron without going "Ow!" Very intriguing mirror image of the prophecy Tahl discovered on Stewjon. =D=

Great work tying everything together.

Vek Talis and CaraJinn like this.
  16. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Even if the material from the collapsed ceiling had started an avalanche it shouldn't be able to gather only in the shaft the way it did.

It had some Sithly help. [face_devil]

But Obi-Wan, that's not possible.

That's the problem with the Jedi. Always believing it isn't possible anything could escape their noses until it bits them on the rear end. :rolleyes:

it doesn't have the same effect on him.

Obi-Wan could become a great Sith, then. [face_devil]

She didn't feel anything.

Sounds like it's broken now.

Glad they're all back, safe and sound. Ready to go on another life or death mission. [face_skull] Well done,
    @CaraJinn =D=

CaraJinn likes this.
  17. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Thank you so much. But...wait a minute. Something is going in behind the scenes...

Vek Talis likes this.
  18. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Epilogue

"Mace, I do believe I'm able to recite the message from the holocron correctly. If possible I would like a word with you and Master Yoda, please."

"Why? Is there something special with it?"

"Yes, I believe we have another prophecy. "

"Meet in the Council Chamber in 10 minutes. We'll be there."

10 minutes later the three were gathered in the Council Chamber. Lights were turned down low so that nobody would suspect the room was in use.

"Now, tell us what you remember you must," said Yoda.

Tahl recited the verse word by word, and a stunned silence filled the room.

"Is that what I think it is?" Mace sighed with a frown.

"I'm afraid it is," Tahl agreed. "We have another prophecy and this one seems to be referring to a Chosen One as well."

"Darker this one seems. The Kh'enbi prophecy speaks about hope, while darkness is in the centre of this one," Yoda stated.

Mace hid his face in his hands for a moment, and then he looked up again.

"So, now we have three prophecies referring to The Chosen One. The one we know and the one from the Kh'enbis appear to be the same, while this one differs a bit. Does that mean that there will be a Chosen One who could fall either to the dark side or remain in the light, or will we have two Chosen Ones - one of the light and one of the dark?" he sighed.

Yoda's sigh was even deeper: "Troublesome and confusing this is, and I sense that somehow young Kenobi is in the centre of it all, but until we understand the meaning behind the prophecies nothing we must tell him."

Vek Talis likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent and realistic pondering of 3 interconnected prophecies. Natural to wonder: do we have more than one Chosen One or 2 paths that could be chosen? @};-

CaraJinn likes this.
  20. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , and even though it's not polite to answer the same day as one has posted, your board title just appeared in my view - do we actually have FOUR chosen ones??? [face_nail_biting]
    :eek:

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Good ending to an excellent story. Push Kenobi to the Dark Side, should we, hmm? :D See if that prophecy is real or some sick joke. =D=

CaraJinn likes this.