main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Mitth's Alien Gallery

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mitth_Fisto, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I simply can't get this to come up in a clear image--for some reason, it just won't "sharpen," even when I save it to my h/d and load it into my editing program... Is there any way you can sharpen the focus when you scan these...? Usually, when I scan something into PictureIt! or any other imaging program, I can then sharpen up the lines/image before uploading to my host--that way the viewer gets the most viewable version... I don't know if that would help in this case, but I hope so--I can't really comment on the piece when I can't really see it... I'll look forward to seeing another version of this--hopefully I'll be able to get that one sharp enough to comment intelligently!

FF

2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Ooops, well I have now tried to use a new program to fix this up. *Crossess fingers* so here goes an experiment for better image quality please let me know if it works or fails.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/San2Hill.jpg]

3. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    eee, it's really nice to see someone who sketches the less popular star wars characters and background people :D
    I really like your Chandra-Fan pic and San Hill too :) I also like how you subtly use colour, works quite well.

4. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Mitth! [:D]
    Woops, I guess I haven't left a comment here for ages. Very sorry for that. [face_blush]

But I love San Hill. The first scan shows up sharper on my computer, btw.
    He looks great. I like the shading on his face, esp on his nose.....or nose-like thing....or whatever it is in the middle of his face.
    *starts wondering how big the brain probably is with a that huge head*
    Okay, enough of that... [face_blush]

I also love the Christmas Yoda, btw. (now, that's what I call being late xD )

Well done, on both of them! =D=

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo yeah!! Now I have a good picture (and sorry it took me so long to get back in here for a look...RL's been devouring me whole lately...)!

Yes--the shading is looking a lot better: around the eyes, beneath the lower lip and chin, and around the nose-ridges (...or, like Chilla said, whatever that is in the middle of his face! lol!). I'm liking the way you're texturing the clothing, too--the collar of his tunic and the trim on his vest are especially nice. I'll encourage you to continue to work at getting darker with your shadows: not on this, as I think it looks wonderful as it is--but do it on something that you just sketch out in pencil (colored or graphite). Just take the pencil (or black pencil) and really go at the shadowing with gusto (think contrasts--sharper differences between the darkest darks and the lightest lights). If you do some experiments with it, I think you'll see the difference it can make in the depth of the subject. Keep up the great work!

FF

6. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Blue_but_beautiful Thank you, I'm glad you like my work. I thought the lesser knowns needed a shot. Thank you again for your kind words.

Hi Chilla! Long time no type! Welcome back, thank you I am glad you liked them both. I think from his actions in the movie he needed all that head space just cram in his ego:p.

Hi FF, I am glad the second one worked out for you better. Don't worry about DRL, it's been trying to get me as well. I'll see about trying that out with my Ishi Tib that I'm wrapping up, which I started back before Yoda *Shakes head at loss of time* I really let myself get to buried in other projects I guess.[face_whistling]

Thank you all for stopping by [:D] It means alot to get some feedback from other fans.

7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    SAN HILL!!!

You are amazing.

8. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Welcome Sith-Lord-Gunray, I am guessing your a huge fan;) I am glad you like it.

Now time for another update with an equally backlogged image, that of an Ishi Tib.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/I****ib.jpg]
    An Ishi Tib, rendered from Jabba's Sail barge (EpVI) and Mos Espa (EpI)

I tried to darken the shadows and use more contrast than I normally do, so please give comments and critiques to help me in these areas. Enjoy!!

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yes--now we're talking! The shading you've added in here really gives a lot more depth and space to the subject, doesn't it? That visage really sets out from 2D, and we see a lot more of the shape and volume of this being. Remember, too, that once you decide on a direction that the light is coming from (in this case, from the right of the frame), you'll want to carry that same shadowing onto every part of the subject--here you could add a shadow on the "downlight side" of the left eye protrusion and a bit beneath the left "jowl," for lack of a better word; you could also go deeper with the shadow falling over his/her right shoulder (the "downlight side")--consistency in the shadows helps to make the entire subject "pop!" It's all getting better and better--you're really "running" with the suggestions! Keep up the good work!

FF

10. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks FF for input, I am glad that I didn't go from okay to worse:p
    I had tried to shading to the left jowl but got scarred of making a big booboo and did notice the left eye possibility but was just to scarred to add any more to the image.[face_worried] Guess I shoulda kept going, well I'll try again on the next one whenever I get around to it after these finals. Thanks once again!

11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Here it is at last for the public, Chewbacca! Color image provided by the glorious BigFatty! B&W by yours truely, this was my first full body image that I did for the colage, or myself, and actually ran off of the paper ontoa second sheet for the whole legs. Please let me know what you think.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/scan0001-2.jpg][image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/scan0001-2.png]

Thank you very much for your input as always!

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Gotta love Chewie! =D= Great work with all that fur (one of the main reasons I don't draw that big Wookiee... **shudders** ;) )! And yes--BF does a great job with the coloring, doesn't she? :) Most excellent!

FF

13. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks for the compliment! It really took awhile to do itall if I remember correctly. *Boy I haven't been back here in awhile!* I've been taking a beginer's artclass and so far barely making the low end of my set grade goals, definately a lot of work ahead for me. I would share the images I've made so far but to tell the truth they're too large for the scanner and my digital jazz camera that I've had for so many years is missing its USB adaptor cable. If I find a way to upload them I'll make sure to let you guys see, but until then May the Force and Graphite be with You All! (Or other art mediums of your choice:p )

14. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Ooooh! nice detail on Chewie! you are very brave to take on such a challenge.

15. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks, TheOnlyJediPrincess, it was interesting to do. Hopefully in about a week or two I'll be able to return to adding more art work up. Will probably start with some of the non-SW stuff I've been doing for college first though.

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, great Chewbacca!! I love the detail, especially in the way you drew his fur.

And excellent coloring by BF as always :)

17. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Here they are, abit late but I these are the first few prepped for display.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/DrawC1.jpg]My Run of the mill do anything with nothing.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/DrawC002.jpg]My schooling in cloth major.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/DrawC003.jpg] My Still Life + Reflections

Hope you all enjoy! Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks NYCitygurl for stopping by, glad you enjoyed Chewbacca and BF is fabulous!

18. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh, cool :D

I can see the utility of doing the last two (very nice, btw-- it really does look like cloth, and I can see effects really starting to pop in the still life), but I think I actually like the first one. What can I say, I usually prefer abstraction of some form to striving for photorealism-- caricature and cartoon is my preferred art form. :p

19. Glitbiter

Glitbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2008
    Hi! You have a very interesting gallery, it's so great to see species like the chadra-fan - that one is very cute [face_love] - that usually get forgotten about. My faves have to be the chadra fan, Braniac - very cool concept, and the Ishi Tib - nice work on the shading and I love the 'feel' to his skin, you've conveyed the texture very well. I've seen a lot of improvement in your new pictures, particularly with shading and clothing.

I may have a tip to help you darken your images after you've scanned them in. I have the same sort of problem - my images always come out too dark. I have photoshop, but most imaging programmes should be able to do the same - play around with the brightness/contrast setting. Contrast will make dark lines darker and colours lighter so you will need to up the contrast and lower the brightness.

Really hope that helps, I'm terrible at explaining things like that. But I know how annoying it is when the scanner/camera distorts the picture.

Looking forward to seeing more from you :)

20. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    You have some really nice shading. the first one is really neat!

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I have to agree: your shading is stepping to a whole new level with the "practice" pieces above! Drapery and cloth are SO hard for me--I really should take your lead and do some practice work with it myself! ;) Your example here looks very realistic--and as it's so tough, I congratulate you on the success (it really looks like cloth and folds! =D= ). These types of exercises really develop the artistic skills--keep it up (and don't hesitate to share your results here! ;) )!

FF

22. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks everyone[face_blush]

ShrunkenJedi: glad you liked the first one, it was part of a two part exercise where the instructor had us do it to demonstrate that we could progressively shade and know the difference between true black and white and all the shades of grey.

Glitbiter: I am glad you enjoy them! It is always nice to hear and the Chandra-fan is cute. The brainiac was just plain fun to do keepin gthat image in my mind for the hours of drawing him. The Ishi-Tib was a pain in the bucket for the skin, it used somewhere around eight or twelve different colors to create that skin, so thanks a mil for commenting on it *Wookie hug!* Thanks as well for the tips!

TheOnlyJediPrincess: Thanks! I am glad you like it.

FalconFan: Thanks for the comments and the whatnot for the drapery/cloth work. For somereason it tends to be easier for me then to do the lined work that goes into forming bodies or ships. (go figure) For some reason all those sharper lines are insanely hard for me to create and still have them match up8-}

Thanks for commenting! They really do help when it comes to creating new work, as well as getting up the gumption to justify taking a break to create it.

23. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Well here it is, the continuation.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/Drawing_05.jpg]Mi hands.

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/Drawing_04.jpg] Just one of those days. (Drawing of male model)

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/FanFicT/Drawing_06.jpg] ForeArms. (Also from male model)

Hope you all enjoy and for TOS and other reasons these might be on the last ones I'm able to get up for a little while. Until then comment away!

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah, live models (be they ourselves or others!)--challenging work, that, due to the short duration of most poses! I like the new emphasis you're placing on shading--it really brings a lot more depth to your work (don't you agree?). The forearms piece is especially nice this way, with the hand beneath looking very nice, and the veins and detailing on the top arm lending a wonderful realism. Try, when you do sketching like this, to give at least some passing notice to the proportions--how long is the hand, compared to the forearm? The fingers compared to the length of the hand? These will be things that, once you cement them in your mind, will become second nature to you as you speed-sketch like this, and you'll find yourself doing almost unconscious comparisons and mental measurements! **nodding** Keep up the great work (and don't hesitate to scribble some of your SW work as free-time practice--it'll help you hone the skills you're learning in class! :D)!

FF

25. Glitbiter

Glitbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2008
    Those hands look superb my friend :D The shading's great, very realistic. I especially like the second one, 'just one of those days' - the very picture of despair! I think the face looks a bit long, but I like that because it adds to the overall sombreness of the picture. A very moving piece, well done! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.