main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph mmMMMmm... The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Community' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jul 2, 2005.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Skipping thread-replies.

On Ep 5. Absolutely loving this! Deet is just the best!

Rew likes this.
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Auhgra gets better

Loving it, on episode 5 now and its 23:10. May need to hit bed next, finish it tomorrow.

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Pink blood!

4. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Finished. Absolutely loved it. Full of heart and care.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'll be happy to provide that perspective once I've finished with the series.

As of this moment, I've just finished Episode 4. Poor Rian just can't catch a break, can he?

He sees his girlfriend get liquidised and devoured by the Skeksis, he's branded a traitor and murderer, he watched his father get swallowed into the ground and he still ends up being captured by the Hunter.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Nice making of special after Ep 10 to.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Brilliant
    this is not a "kids" show, there are times when it is just brutal

It is so well constructed and it's beautifully faithful to the original.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Making of is a nice touch too

Roll on Season 2

Just don't run on too long, give us 2 or 3 seasons, kill everyone off but have it end with the birth of Jen and Kira who are then hidden.

It will be watched again and soon.

Rew likes this.
  8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it, about to start the second.

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The end of ep 2 is brutal

It's brilliant

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just finished off the first episode. Damn this is good! I do not have vivid memories from the film so I hit a few highlights.

Mark Hamill as The Scientist, working for The Emperor. I'm sure that lol is not lost on anyone.

Love the shot of the Crystal being lowered into the pit, the way the magic book unfolded, much of the scenery throughout, last shot over the tree top. Lush and full would be a good way to describe the look.

"Your tithe is found wanting." It's a story as old as there have been stories and it certainly is made obvious in this, the rich and their control over the poor. Added in here though is the middle class who can make good tithes shaming the poor along with the rich. Right wing politics anyone? The rich having people convinced that poor people are trying to take their stuff.

So I have extra time off this holiday weekend, I'll certainly be watching this.

Rew and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I was going to say you're being a little dramatic, as it's no darker than other twisted works of fantasy meant for kids that were produced in the 80's.

But then...

Mark Hamill corners an unarmed slave and beats him to death with a blunt object, causing blood to splatter all over his caged pets.

And yet the show is still only rated a PG! The **** you can get away with as "kid friendly" when you're using puppets!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The spoiler was what I had just watched when I wrote that.

If this was live action it would not be PG

13. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." :p

I stumbled upon this in Netflix. Very impressed with its cast:

From what i got , they trying to transform this in some sort of Game of Thrones thing.
    I barely remember the movie, but i'll give a go to this series.

Ghost and VadersLaMent like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    3 episodes in and it’s so damn good. Absolutely gorgeous looking with such vivid colors. Endlessly inventive (that lock! So cool!!!). And it’s not veering away from being horrifying, either.

The Skeksis interplay is delightful (and Chamberlain is Starscreaming the hell out of everything)- and you soon fully believe these are living creatures. The Podling will make you grin ear to ear. Even the Gelflings look less wooden than the movie versions while not diverging noticeably. The world of Thra is just teeming with life.

The design of the characters is so Froud- there are facial qualities combined with the physical performances that evoke characters from Labyrinth and other Henson fantasy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Rew and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    is it necessary to re-watch the original at all before starting on this, or is it stand alone?

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The series is set like 100 years before the events of the movie. The series is made in a way that it's not necessary to watch the movie first. So the choice is yours.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You can definitely watch it without the original.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am up to episode 7 I absolutely love it Its right up there with the Original movie but the new one has a better voice Cast I mean you cant go wrong with Mark Hamill!

nilzo antonio likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm really enjoying this , its so different to anything else thats on .

I liked the original movie but the story had problems , it felt like they'd cut a lot out .

btw - I thought this was set before the movie . ?

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It is set before the movie, about 100 years or so

21. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I thought there was a lot of talent and creativity, but it also feels really drawn out. Multiple seasons feels like way too long for this story. I think it would have been better if they had just wrapped everything up in one season.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Needs 2 or 3 seasons at most

Season 1 the set up

Season 2 the full on resistance where it looks like they're winning with a typical cliff hanger

Season 3 the fall leading to a final episode where Kira and Jen are hidden away

2 and 3 can easily be blended though with the last couple of episodes showing a condensed fall, hell it could end with the birth of Kira and Jen

I'd love to see it go on and on as it's just stunning to watch but, the story is limited considering it's to lead into the film potentially ending 15-20 years (depending on how time there works) prior to the film actually taking place.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Really loved this. One question though about the backstory:

I always thought that the Skeksis damaged Crystal (creating the shard) pretty much as soon as they were created? And that it was the UrSkeks who provided Aughra with her orrery... but according to this show the Skeksis were pretty chill to start with, or something? Or good enough at hiding their nature that Aughra was like "Yeah, you guys are cool enough to leave the Crystal in your care"?

I considered that it might just be the histories getting confused but even Aughra herself isn't remotely surprised by their existence and she seems to remember a time when they were better even as the Skeksis.

So is this a new take, or what?

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just finished it tonight, really loved the season. So delightful, gruesome, mystical, and fun at once!

Any thoughts regarding the fates of the General, Deet, and the Arathim?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If I recall correctly, in the movie, the shard breaking off is implied to have caused the Skeksis and Mystics to become separate--which is why reuniting the shard with the rest of the Crystal caused them to become one again. So the Skeksis did not break the Crystal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was confused by this in the series as well. I'll have to re-watch that bit but it seemed the series gave a different backstory. Perhaps I misunderstood. Or perhaps in a later season we'll find out the Heretic was just wrong?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019