main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph mmMMMmm... The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Community' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jul 2, 2005.

1. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    'Good', lol; 'better', lol; 'best', lol.

[​IMG]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw a trailer for this when I saw IT 2 this morning. Didn't do much for me but then I wasn't crazy about the first one.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm on episode 6 now and I'm still sunned at how gorgeous this series looks. Not to mention I'm blown away that these must all be sets- I've rarely seen sets like these that really made me believe they were filmed outside.

Ghost and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 7 was very surprising.

-I did not ever even consider the idea of a rogue/good Skeksis like the Heretic. Very unexpected.

-I didn’t think we’d get a hypercube of walls being broken with the puppets of the show putting on a puppet show for other puppets who don’t like puppet shows... [face_hypnotized][face_laugh].

-Did not expect them to spoil the UrSkeks/split aspect of the film’s climax so blatantly. We’ll have to see if they deal with it in ways that makes that loss worthwhile in these final episodes. The Hunter/Archer showdown was a promising hope in that direction, at least.

-Loved how the interplay between the Heretic and his Mystic counterpart was somewhat similar to the Bird Hat and Old Man from Labyrinth- the Heretic even has shades of the bird’s design.

-Also loved the other Labyrinth parallel with how the Ascendancy communicated like the Helping Hands did.

-I wonder if we’ll see the Skeksis create the Garthim out of the Ascendancy arachnids (perhaps via the Darkening)?

-“You dare try to control Aughra?! Even Aughra cannot control Aughra![face_laugh]

EDIT- Well, that was an incredibly satisfying finale. I was starting to wonder if they were positioning this as a multi-season series or as a miniseries prequel.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with Link, Zelda and Saria. ')

Was also glad I called the Garthim reveal! And they're just as terrifying as ever.

Curious to see how the General is resurrected, as well.

"Does nothing stay dead anymore?!"

I had to turn the subtitles on to verify she wasn't actually saying "The bitch is back!" when she exclaimed "the witch is back!", lol.

Overall, an amazing series that far and away surpasses the film. Super gorgeous. Probably its only real point of critique is that the character CGI often doesn't move like the live action counterparts do so it sticks out. Other that that, only some minor quibbles (would have liked certain side plots or characters developed more).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Rew likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Finished off all 10 episodes. Apparently the showrunners are ready for a 2nd season and this first one certainly leaves off as if there will be.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    which really surprised me. I was expecting a very
    horrible genocide at the end of this one. Yep totally open for a 2nd.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah,
    I was damn curious how they were going to handle that given the uplifting hero speech / clans united moments.

9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Up to episode 4, I'm taking my time with it to make it last longer :)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So in preparation for the recent Netflix series, I watched The Dark Crystal film tonight (despite being a child of the '80s, this one passed me by!). Solid film, still holds up today for the most part--very whimsical, which is what I loved most about it. I'll be curious how Netflix handles a TV series in this universe (I already know it's a prequel). I'll know once I start watching tomorrow night!

Snarky side note: My thought on the Skeksis from the movie is that they're a bunch of bumbling, incompetent ****wits whom I wouldn't trust with running a McDonald's for 24 hours, much less a sprawling empire for 1000 years. :p Hopefully their series counterparts pose a more genuine threat.

Serious side note: I would've loved more development on the Mystics (it's my only legitimate criticism of the film). Hopefully that lack is remedied in the Netflix series.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The damaging of the Crystal is what causes the UrSkeks to split. The Skeksis must not have been overtly evil at the start- or were good as tricking Aughra at the very least. She likely refers to the UrSkeks actions as being one and the same with the Skeksis since they were once a part of those entities. I'm uncertain if Aughra knew about the shard at that point or who was at fault. That part did seem to retcon some stuff because I don't remember the movie hinting at Aughra having such a significant role in Thra or such a close relationship with the Skesis. But i could be wrong- haven't watched the movie in over a year.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I did find it a bit repetitive towards the end , but what a production . Watching the doc now which is terrific , the design work is so wonderful.
    Any word on another season?

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    While that would certainly make sense, since restoring the shard during the conjunction reunites them, the wiki says this:

I'm not sure why I'd have that that part about the Skeksis cracking the crystal in my head unless it came from the film given that was basically the total of my experience with this universe before the show.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I've been purposely avoiding this thread to ignore any potential spoilers until I've seen all the released episodes to date. As I'm currently on a Netflix month-long trial I've sort of binge-watched the entire season within the past week or so. It's just absolutely superb. Every episode had me craving to watch the next one. I wasn't aware of the time frame between this series and the original movie, so I rewatched the original movie today after watching the last episode of the first season. Obviously there seems to be plenty of things left on the table (plotholes) that remain to be filled until the potential second season is released. That's probably when I'll more than likely subscribe to Netflix once again; unless I get another free trial.

Among the plotholes to the movie that occurred to me was how come the Skeksies didn't seem to know who Mother Aughra was in the movie when she confronted them in front of the Crystal? They were certainly aware of her from the very beginning of the prequel series. Of course the biggest question, one that I was thinking about from the very beginning, was whether or not Jen and Kira from the movie were related to any of the Gelfling in the series. I know Deet had a sort of premonition of having a child as well as seeing her own fate, but I guess that's still up in the air. I assume the safe bet would be to consider that Jen is the offspring of Deet and Rian; though you don't really see much hint of any Deet in him. We'll see.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Sorry that this is such old news, but I cannot believe I haven't heard about this Dark Crystal prequel until now! I barely remembered being scared at "those weird vultures" as a very small kid, but now finding the original movie and this series on netflix has been a lovely surprise and a chance to catch up with it. MmmmMmmmm indeed!!!

16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Old thread, but seeing as it got bumped, I'll reply.

The impression I got from The Dark Crystal movie is that when Aughra is dragged in before the Skeksis, they do know each other. The Skeksis were just surprised to see her, instead expecting the Garthim to have captured Jen.

This is sort of implied when she begins to berate them "Fools! Skeksis fools. What do you want with me?" There is an element of familiarity with them, in that she knows who they are and isn't afraid to call them out for being idiots. In turn, they return the insult with the glorious line "Watch your tongue harridan, we are Lords of the Crystal" So they obviously know her and regard her as a sharp tongued, vicious old crone.

I think that the scene definitely implies that they know each other well, and despise each other just as much lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Canceled after one Season on Netflix

Pretty upsetting if you ask me. I really enjoyed the series as it captured the "essence" of the original movie with slightly updated visuals to bring in a new generation. I guess you just can't please everybody. The series won an Emmy no less; but was still deemed a "disappointment" because it didn't earn enough money back from it's budget.

Netflix is just straightening out its priorities to focus on what works in 21st Century America. You want a scripted series starring Nicholas Cage about a gay redneck who keeps large wild cats in cages for public amusement but spends most of his time complaining about an animal rights advocate who may have killed her husband? You got it!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  18. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This is pretty disappointing, to be honest. I was really thinking that a series this good would earn, at the very least, a second season to close things up. That said, I was honestly surprised it even got one season, considering that this kind of project is not something one sees everyday in modern television. Dark Crystal will remain seen, I think, as one of the best series of recent times, and I'm really grateful for that one season, that managed to rekindle my love for a series I had only seen as a very small child.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, what a shame. :( I really enjoyed the first series, it was refreshingly different from the usual mainstream TV stuff. And here I was hoping that Netflix can branch out and produce more niche shows that the usual TV studios would be afraid to risk commiting to...

Ahsoka's Tano and Rew like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How awful- the day after it gets an Emmy and a year to the day that I get a FB memory reminder about a DC meme- salt on the wound!

Hopefully the JHC can shop it somewhere else for another season. I mean, I was really surprised they didn't wrap the story up in one season as a one-off prequel to the film, but now that we're left hanging and have been teased with such quality, we truly need more. Even if its just a movie.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The joke is that Disney already banks (yes I know to a far lesser degree) on developing the new miniseries with the Muppets but probably wouldn't consider batting an eye on what it takes to make such a production like DC: Age of Resistance.

You know as well as I do that the majority of Disney's money will be going towards the live action SW series like Mandalorian as well as whatever Marvel series like WandaVision are on the horizon.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, that sucks. Thinking of canceling my subscription anyway.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Mine is now cancelled.

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I hope that, if we make some noise, Netflix will at least allow the filmmakers to conclude the story with a movie instead of an entire series (worked for “Sense8,” though that’s admittedly a different matter).

I think it’s more than a little shortsighted on Netflix’ part; sure, unique genre stuff like this will only attract a limited viewership, but it will continue to attract a viewership for a long time.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's so disappointing. I think it was probably one of my favorite shows to watch all of last year. It's even better than the original. Such rich worldbuilding, compelling characters (Deet!), and plot twists even with being a prequel. I hope to see it on the screen again.