main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph mmMMMmm... The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Community' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I usually end up drawn towards the antagonists in films and novels, and the Skeksis provided us with such rich, complex dynamics... it was even surprising, dare I say, to get such care and dedication for the perspectives of these evil, power hungry creatures. There is the Chamberlain of course, but at the end of the series one gets the feeling of really knowing the Emperor, the Scientist, the Ritual Master and so on. They are clearly their own characters, with personal motivations and machinations, and this was achieved without the need of centering the show around them.

Between that, the compelling leads, the lovely visuals, the emotionally driven story and the values it promotes, its really hard sad to think this series won't have another chance... but the idea that some of you bring about closing the story with a movie gives me hope. I´ll keep my fingers crossed!

Rew, Ghost, Blackhole E Snoke and 4 others like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I know it's probably a pointless suggestion, but I wonder if some LGBTQ groups got involved in keeping the series alive would make a difference.

[​IMG]

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Those groups don't exist just to randomly attach themselves to unrelated projects to draw attention towards renewing them, as you seem to be suggesting. It's not a series that deals with LGBTQ issues (at least so far), so there would be no natural point to involving themselves in that sense, as it would not help further such representation issues by advocating for its continuation.

So let's not diverge off topic.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It wasn't exactly off topic. If you've seen the show, you remember that Deet was raised by two fathers.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Was she?

I've watched it a few times now and never picked up on that.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Look at the picture I posted above. She was raised by the two male gelflings along with her little brother.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I just see two old gelflings.

Not saying you're wrong. I just didn't pick up on that point.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, according to this, you are correct. Apologies, @Ahsoka's Tano - it's so subtle and easy to miss that it seemed like you were trying to obtusely inject something into the conversation.

That said, given how subtle it is, I still think it'd be inappropriate and unlikely for any advocacy groups to rally behind it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I just think it's worth a shot. I know it's subtle, but I'd imagine those groups might be interested that the portrayal serves as education. It's ok that the protagonist/heroine of the series comes from a family consisting of two fathers. Deet is a good character that you can root for, and it's obvious that her upbringing is shown to be as healthy as if she was raised with a mother and father.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They mention like half a dozen times she has two fathers.

It's not subtle at all.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Mar17swgirl and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm actually on a FB group that focuses on the Dark Crystal movie and series (which is where I first learned of the cancellation), and I've been reluctant to bring up about my idea for getting the LGBTQ groups involved. It's one thing that these people set up those online petitions that don't amount to anything; but getting an important social group involved in something as trivial as keeping an otherwise unrelated TV series on Netflix afloat might not sit well with everyone.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Really did not pick up on it. I'm clearly really unobservant or just don't remember (most likely the former)

13. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Be patient. Fans of the original waited decades for this series. I never thought I would see a continuation of the story so I've been pleasantly surprised. Hopefully when things get closer to normal it may get resurrected. We've seen successful shows switching networks/platforms quite a lot over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix brought it back in a few years.

Ghost and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    At the rate they are going, I'd be surprised if Netflix still exists in a few years.

Rew likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    interesting... will wait for more details

I really do hope someone eventually takes up season 2

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    It really is a travesty that such a beautifully made show was cancelled. I am a massive fan of the original The Dark Crystal movie, and I was eager to see what a modern version would be like. I wasn't disappointed either, I thought that they did an incredible job with Age of Resistance. I wasn't totally sold on the look of some of the Gelflings, but overall the series was a triumph. It was just getting interesting as well, with the creation of the Garthim.

The first episode, when the Skeksis first drain Mira, to death, was pretty horrifying.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The upside is, given that there are no humans in the show, they could make a second season in 10 years and pick up right where they left off. Thoguh, obviously, one hopes it would much sooner than that ;).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  19. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Were audiences figures low for it and that's why it was cancelled, combined with production costs maybe? It had just won a slew of awards too I think, and they dropped it. Really odd. I kind of hoped maybe Amazon might pick it up.

20. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Sad, right? And here I was hoping that the big spend on production was already done, and that I would make the making of a second season easier. Just to show that I know next to nothing about those things, anyway, haha. Perhaps they had to re-do a lot of the puppets because of wear during filming, and then they decided it wasn't worth the cost?

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They said it was too expensive to make.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  22. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Maybe it could come back as an animated series or something like they did here for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics? The world of Thra and the beautiful designs of Brian Froud are just too good to discard.

[​IMG]