main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update - 24th-31st of March

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kit' , Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Welcome to my first Mod-Squad update [face_blush] I hope it doesn't cause too much drama. Also apologies for the shortness - there was really only one topic that dominated conversation all week.

Moderator News for this week:

* YodaJeff informed the administration of his impending week off for the purposes of a study break. Good luck YJ :)

* A new Fan Films staff member was appointed in the form of scifi_3d_zoo.

* Joshua Griffin informed the administration that he would be offline all week. We wish him the most relaxing of JC holidays.

* darth-sinister is up for his Manager review. With glowing reports from his 3SA colleagues, his plan to rule 3SA in a matter of months seems to be going well.

* A poll was started to garner which type of internet connection the majority of the administration members have. We discovered most of us have cable modems - to make catching those trolls all that quicker :p

Poll creation in the Fanfic section

Discussion occured between JediGaladriel, Amidala_Skywalker and Kit' as to the recent spate of polls that have been happening in the fanfiction writer's resource. As a result of this discussion the FAQ has been updated in that forum and interested members are advised to check it there.

Problem Users:

* Several users were discussed, some long-term bans and other shorter term spanks were covered.

Links To Inappropriate Sites

* A thread was opened discussing links to sites with a general rating higher than that of the JC. One example provided was to the JCC policy of removing links to sites like The Onion. One possible solution discussed was the posting of text (within the bounds of the JC TOS) sans link.

The Role Of Managers

* The role of the manager was discussed, with several members of the administration expressing their view that the extra abilities of Manager status were generally wasted on the majority of actual managers. The discussion is ongoing.

Forced Demotion Of Administrators

* The big discussion this week focused on the criteria for the removal of members at the top of the food chain, the administrators. Given the current lack of clear and well-defined boundaries, many members of the administration felt that a general tweaking of the guidelines was required. As this goes to press, Kadue has chimed in with what seems to be the last word. A more conclusive outcome should be forthcoming on that front shortly.

Edited to add in the FanFic information

Edit: Just locking this up as it's served it's purpose for the day. Discussion of the issues can go in the new thread, while further April 1st stuff can head to the other April Fools day thread.

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Nice update. It's a bit lacking in teh funny department, but a good read nonetheless.

The role of the manager was discussed, with several members of the administration expressing their view that the extra abilities of Manager status were generally wasted on the majority of actual managers. The discussion is ongoing.

It wasn't that long ago that many Mod Squad members professed that Manager status wasn't much different than having Moderator status,
    except for having a few extra toys such as forum creation and the like.

I'm still trying to think of a tangible idea as to why there was a switch from the old tried-and-true "90 day trial period then automatic repromotion" to a "repromotion depending on review".

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Problem Users:

* Several users were discussed, some long-term bans and other shorter term spanks were covered.

What exactly happens besides discussing it? And what qualifies a Problem User?

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Problem users - people who cause chronic problems in the forums are usually the problem users. People who are trolling and such like. Users whose behaviour the mods are unsure how to deal with.

That sort of thing...

Kithera

5. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    * darth-sinister is up for his Manager review. With glowing reports from his 3SA colleagues, his plan to rule 3SA in a matter of months seems to be going well.

I am starting to see why he is called darth-sinister ;)

* A thread was opened discussing links to sites with a general rating higher than that of the JC. One example provided was to the JCC policy of removing links to sites like The Onion. One possible solution discussed was the posting of text (within the bounds of the JC TOS) sans link.

Isn't that already what should be carried out at present? Is this a new solution, or just bringing up a present, feasible one?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    JGM: Some members feel that the more trusted people we have with the Manager abilities, the greater autonomy we'll have. For example, with Manager status we won't need to pester the admins to edit the header bar links.

YoungJKedi11: It's case by case. In terms of long time members returning, we dicuss the pro's and cons and sincerity of the user. Stuff like that. In terms of short term bans, we inform each other if one of us has caught the person posting with socks etc, things that may extend or shorten their ban length.

Val: That is the current one but other idea's to get around the problem are still being discussed :)

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'm still trying to think of a tangible idea as to why there was a switch from the old tried-and-true "90 day trial period then automatic repromotion" to a "repromotion depending on review".

There really isn't a big change to speak of. The only difference is that when the three month anniversary approaches, a thread is created where other mods/managers/admins/whatever can make suggestions for improvement, or heap buckets of praise. Unless there is huge objection (done on a case by case basis), the mods are usually given the promotion.

~H~

8. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    And what qualifies a Problem User?

stick with me, kiddo, and you will learn firsthand... ;)

9. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Damn straight Tess [face_love]

10. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Is this off-topic, or am I allowed to ask why you're all yellow? :p

Jae Angel

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Nice update. It's a bit lacking in teh funny department, but a good read nonetheless

Sorry - I suck at trying to be funny. Cracking jokes is just not me. :) You know us mods - as serious as can be.

As for why we are yellow - I just like the colours.

Kithera

12. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I think you guys are all trying to be like Sapient, but we'll see. :)

Jae Angel

13. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "why you're all yellow?"

I could ask the same ;)

14. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    AAAAAAHHHHH! :eek: RUN from the YELLOW! :eek:

I'm scared now! :( Plz give me a ban button so I can ban all of you and have the place to myself. kthxbye. :p

Jae Angel

15. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Now, put a black border around your names, and that will look a bit more convincing ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    someone took a leak on everyone's username.

17. Adelaide

Adelaide Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Heh...heh. Gah, don't let this stay too long...

18. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    shades of sapient :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    the yellow makes me think this years big joke involves the Simpsons....

20. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    I was wondering if someone with a long-term ban can make a plea for clemency. I mean you should keep the door open for appeals.

Can someone be expelled from the Forums?

I would say that would be possible if someone develops a consistency to get bans. Other than that I don't see why its possible.

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Indefinite Bans is the terminology we tend to adopt these days as opposed to "permanent bans", for as we have seen, sometimes people under a supposed "perm ban" have given us a promise of reform, and have on the occasion even actually followed through to be a valued member of the community.

But more often then not, we try and keep those who've been ruled "chronic problem users" on the outer for good.

22. Oakessteves_cat

Oakessteves_cat Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    I see no mention of my recent promotion. Yet further proof of TFN's obvious bias against cats. It is terrible that such a thing exists in this day and age.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Kadue has chimed in with what seems to be the last word

I'd say it's more about making sure that other people wont be heard. :mad:

24. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Spamming the boards in order to create drama isnt going to help your position, Obi Anne.

Stop it now, or you'll find your posting rights removed.

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Aren't you overstepping your boundaries, Dagsy? I didn't realise Comms was your area to moderate. Let Obi Anne have her say, or is this now a totalitarian regime?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.