main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Mod Squad Update for the week ending April 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by General Kenobi , Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Moderator News:

[blockquote]Blackpool was named as the new Fan Art Moderator.

Bobafemme announced that she is stepping down as a FF Midwest RSA effective Friday.

Rox announced that he and his computer will be separated for a few days.

Obi Anne will have her online time cut back until 2nd of May, due to both funny and more boring real life happenings.

And that strong breeze blowing across the Atlantic was Mace Windy returning home from his trip to England and France.[/blockquote]

Problem users:

[blockquote]Problem users were discussed.[/blockquote]

Inappropriate usernames:

[blockquote]Discussion took place on what constitutes a inappropriate username and what doesn't. This week it focused on the use of "celebrity" real life names. While there is a policy not to allow such Star Wars-related names, extremely controversial names (e.g. Hitler), or names used for the purpose of trolling, there are other "celebrity" names being used without causing problems. Discussion on this topic is continuing.[/blockquote]

Admin Notes:

[blockquote]Discussion took place on users requesting to know what's in their Admin Notes. The consensus is that users can be told paraphrased information, such as "warned on such a date for violation x" and "banned for 24 hours on such a date for violation y", without getting into specifics.[/blockquote]

Off-Site Behavior:

[blockquote]A decision was made, based on MS and Comms discussion, that common sense will be applied to moderating situations affecting the Jedi Council. Generally, off-site behavior will not be moderated at the Jedi Council.[/blockquote]

Lit forum:

[blockquote]New Lit Review Forum materials were discussed. The long-awaited Welcome sticky thread was also discussed.[/blockquote]

New Games Starting:

[blockquote]Dark Lady Mara announced that the CT Trivia Contest host will be Master Salty. cbjedi began discussion of starting a new game.[/blockquote]

Fan Fiction:

[blockquote]The subject discussed this week was the criteria for Writers' Resource Pruning. While discussion is ongoing, anyone who feels strongly about any particular thread should PM Kit' or Amidala_Skywalker ASAP.[/blockquote]

Forum Graphics:

[blockquote]Due to the departure of Carter-TFN, there was discussion of a centralized graphics coordinator. Gandolf the Grey and Kadue will handle this until a permanent replacement is able to coordinate with TF.N as a whole.[/blockquote]

Multiple Short Term Bans

[blockquote]There is discussion on whether users who accumulate multiple short-term bans, or "spanks" should have punishment increased. The general consensus is that ban lengths should increase for repeat offenses.[/blockquote]

Informational Threads:

[blockquote]These need to be kept up-to-date. It was suggested that whoever writes the weekly MS update can check and update these general informational threads. Individual forum mods are reminded to update them periodically in their specific forums.[/blockquote]

Now pinch-htting for Kadue, Manny...Manny...Manny......Mota...Mota...Mota... (aka General Kenobi):
    [blockquote]There once was a mod named Kadue,
    Who was then put in charge of the zoo;
    But his turn to update
    Kept him up way too late,
    Now he's called in sick with the flu.
    [/blockquote]

edit: typo
    [hl=dodgerblue]Edit: Feel free to contact a mod about re-opening if you feel you have something to add to the discussion.[/hl]

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "Rox announced that he and his computer will be separated for a few days."

Will someone else announce the FF banner winner? I'm getting the impression from the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10952264]thread[/link] that a winner has been chosen but not yet announced.

3. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    My guess is that Rox will announce a winner when he gets back.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Due to the departure of Carter-TFN, there was discussion of a centralized graphics coordinator. Gandolf the Grey and Kadue will handle this until a permanent replacement is able to coordinate with TF.N as a whole.

Good, it's time for a new scheme for the JC.

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Off-Site Behavior:

A decision was made, based on MS and Comms discussion, that common sense will be applied to moderating situations affecting the Jedi Council. Generally, off-site behavior will not be moderated at the Jedi Council.

Good decision. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will notice the use of "generally" in that paragraph. ;)

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    There is discussion on whether users who accumulate multiple short-term bans, or "spanks" should have punishment increased. The general consensus is that ban lengths should increase for repeat offenses.

No. People moderate differently. If the user goes on a ridiculous trolling spree more than once, fine, but "SPAM" bans and "Baiting" bans should not be extended based on repeat offenses, because they are highly subjective decisions in the first place.

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    These need to be kept up-to-date. It was suggested that whoever writes the weekly MS update can check and update these general informational threads. Individual forum mods are reminded to update them periodically in their specific forums.

Does this also mean that the old threads which are seriously out-dated will get updated?

On a side, are the threads going to remain locked ? or is the board going to be made a read-only?

Aunecah

8. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I specifically asked Quixiotic-Sith to open up a mod squad thread about the recent basher/gusher threads in comms for inclusion in the next update.

I'd hate to think that after all the progress made this week that my request was completely ignored.

Any chance that it just didn't make this weeks update?

9. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    There once was a mod named Kadue,
    Who was then put in charge of the zoo;
    But his turn to update
    Kept him up way too late,
    Now he's called in sick with the flu.

Best. Poem. Evar. [face_laugh]

Thanks for the update, GK :D

10. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    xie, I don't think anyone was suggesting this as a "hard-and-fast" rule.

[i]Does this also mean that the old threads which are seriously out-dated will get updated?[/i]

Yes, we are discussing the procedure for this, and hopefully it will happen soon.

edit: See [b]G12's[/b] reply below. :)

[hr]
    [i]I'd hate to think that after all the progress made this week that my request was completely ignored.[/i]

Most of this discussion is currently taking place in the AC. My guess is that MS discussion will take place in the near future.>

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Aunecah...
    "Does this also mean that the old threads which are seriously out-dated will get updated?"

With respect to the Informational Threads forum, yes.

With respect to the applicable specific forum threads, that's still dependent on the moderators of that particular forum. If you think something's outdated, then PM one of the mods and let them know if they haven't caught it yet.

12. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    There is discussion on whether users who accumulate multiple short-term bans, or "spanks" should have punishment increased. The general consensus is that ban lengths should increase for repeat offenses.

I thought that if banned members continue to join under different socks that their ban then increases?

13. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    [blockquote]Most of this discussion is currently taking place in the AC. My guess is that MS discussion will take place in the near future. [/blockquote]

Too bad. :(

Advisory Council = Joke

I'd appreciate a mod squad thread being opened on this topic for inclusion in the next update.

Thanks in advance.

14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Stridarious, they're talking about REPEAT offenders, meaning you get banned for say 48 hours for flaming, then get unbanned, and in a few weeks get banned AGAIN for flaming, instead of being 48 hours it would be 72, because you've flamed before.

I think it's stupid.

15. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I think it's stupid.

First offense, you could argue you didn't know where the limit was, that you would get in trouble for what you did.

Second offense, you should know what the limit is based on a previous offense.

16. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

If the person is doing the same thing over and over again (ie. continually saying the f-word even though they get banned everytime) then that person obviously isn't learning from their mistakes, so lengthier bans are probably a good idea.

17. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    "If the person is doing the same thing over and over again (ie. continually saying the f-word even though they get banned everytime) then that person obviously isn't learning from their mistakes, so lengthier bans are probably a good idea."

Yup. Gotta love when a mod threatens to ban you for at least a month for a second offense in advance of that supposed second offense. Yeah, that's a gradual progression.

[face_plain]

18. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Well, if it works...

19. dp4m

dp4m JCC Playoff Pick 'Em Winner, Also a Narc star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Nov 8, 2001
    Yup. Gotta love when a mod threatens to ban you for at least a month for a second offense in advance of that supposed second offense. Yeah, that's a gradual progression.

From what it looks like it was a warning for a THIRD offense, after TWO flaming offenses within 5 days of one another. Of course, really within 4 days of one another since you seem to have been banned for one of them.

So, the question remains -- will the deterrant work? Or will you have to be banned for a month? Only time will tell...

20. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

EDIT: And now my post makes no sense.

Thanks to whoever deleted that, btw.

21. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Notice I said SUBJECTIVE things.

F words are not subjective. You see them, and it wasn't an honest mistake, it's obvious.

I'm talking about for things which everyone contests, like "flaming" (for the most part) and "spamming".

22. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Obviously this is something that should be done case-by-case. Yes, flaming and spamming can often be debatable, but sometimes it's also very clear-cut.

Like so much of moderatoratoratoring, it's just a matter of common sense and good judgement.

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The moderating of flames and spam is no more or less subjective than moderating for swearing.

All are clearly unambiguous concepts which lend themselves to objective moderating.

24. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    hahahahahahahaha.

25. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    dp4m, yes I got a warning. But this was the first time banned. What I'm saying is who has ever gotten banned for a second time for at least a month over *subjective* flaming. Not even outright flaming, debatable flaming determined by a biased mod.

That's ridiculous.

First strike: Getting banned for a harmless post such as this:

"anakin_girl, I would ask you to marry me, but sadly I see you're already taken.

Anyway, oh yes where was I? I think the third podracer fan over from the right in the stadium had a head shaped too much like a Q-Tip, even if he was alien. This horrendous error got in my way of enjoying the podrace. Not even the distracting special effects could distract me from the Q-Tip podracer fan. Everyone knows this was just a marketing ploy for Johnson & Johnson! I feel like my childhood AND my adulthood have been raped."

Here was the heart of Quix's warning previous to that post:

"If you post in this thread in the manner you have chosen to again, you will take an extended vacation from these forums. Sugar-coating or no, your posts are trolling - deliberately derailing a thread and violating the *simplest* of rules: we're here to discuss the films, not the posters."

*Major Problem*: That post was not "in the manner" I had posted before.

Prior to his warning I posted a legitimate multiparagraphed rant. The only thing decidly illegitimate about my rant posts was they should of been somewhere like here in Comms and not within the Basher's Sanctuary. But the post I was banned for was not in any way like my long winded rants "that focused on the posters and not the films."

In fact I posted a bash, which according to the thread starter, is not off topic. Often people post satirical bashes in the Sanctuary (sometimes these satirical bashes even mock and flame the people who like the movies and go unchecked, i.e. see Jedi_Learner's link to Glorian doing just that) and these have become standard for the Sanctuary.

My post was a satirical bash, much like all the others in there (and it didn't even concern people, it concerned the film) and I'm banned while Glorian is not and she directly targeted prequel fans in her satirical bash.

Inconsistency. Biased modding.

Strike Two: Threatening to ban before user even does anything. Maybe acceptable, but still questionable. Furthermore, threatening to ban for at least a month for a second offense that is based on a highly questionable and subjective first offense.

Ridiculous! The only way to justify banning for a month for a second offense would be something along the lines and gravity of hacking into one's account or death threats or some other such *serious* offenses.

We probably won't have to wait long for strike three at this rate.

Kadue, respected mods who are not biased, please see to it that mods strive to be more consistent and non-biased in the future. Biased mods and biased moderator actions cannot go unchecked. It ruins the credibilty of the mods who actually are unbiased and who spend more time fufilling moderator duties with fairness than bragging about "the ban stick", and using brute arrogance and forceful aggressiveness when moderating (which only further perpetuates the problem.)

Mods set the example. If the moderator *some times* slips into moderating in an aggressive, belittling fashion, then they can't act surprised when their posters act the same. There's no room for hit and miss in moderating, especially when a moderator knows full well how they're antagonistically moderating from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.