main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending April 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by General Kenobi , Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    bjbrickm - if anybody hacked into a system or sent death threats to anybody else, I doubt the Administration will simply give them a one-month ban.

As far as the rest of it goes, are you talking about the Bashers' Sanctuary in TPM forum :confused:

Well, the Banned Users' Guide in the Informational Threads says that:
    Do not talk privately to an admin other than the one who banned you. If you do not want to settle it with the admin who banned you alone, feel that he/she has some kind of bias or misjudgment, and would wish to inform the admins in general, please e-mail jc-admins@theforce.net . And naturally, if you don't know which admin banned you and would like to inquire, use e-mail as well.

But I'm almost positive that the e-mail is not being used anymore ...

So, my question is what happens now? How is it that you contest your banning if you don't want to talk to the Admin who banned you :confused:

Aunecah

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You might want to read this discussion, which pretty much is discussing what you just brought up.

The jc-admins e-mail address is still used, and some of us are still on it.

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    YodaJeff - I did read that discussion (if you're referring to me). I remember reading in there that the e-mail was not used very often because of all the spam mails you get....

Ha, refreshed my memory by reading it again - well, now we know that the e-mail is working fine and well, so there you go djbrickm!

Aunecah

4. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    It might not be used too often, but it still is used. I try to check the account that gets sent to at least once a day.

Anyways, I posted a link to that thread because that's where this discussion probably should go, so the same thing isn't discussed in two different places.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    C-3PO plenty of the Mods are participating in the AC discussion about the DF threads and Sanctuary. I am curious why someone who has not been in the TPM forum since 6/02 cares so much about the forum? Indeed 8 posts outside of Comms since 6/02...

6. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Post counts mean very little. Perhaps he didn't like how things were in the TPM forum. That could explain why he stopped posting there.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was asking him to find out for sure. It seems odd to me that someone who has posted less that 20 times on the entire JC in the last year would be so concerned for the JC so much

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    strilo - just because someone doesn't post there doesn't mean someone hasn't been there.

:)

Aunecah

9. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Do you know that he hasn't been lurking there?

Maybe he likes TPM, but doesn't like the forum. Maybe he'd love to discuss the film, but can't bring himself to discuss it in that atmosphere.

There are multiple forums that I lurk in every day, but rarely post in.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am aware of that. But if he really cares so much about the basher/gusher threads, why a year's silence?

EDIT: Well if you think he has such a point then why don't you open that chat in the MS like he asked, Jeff?

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Maybe he would like to start posting again :confused:

EDIT: I just realized that made no sense: Maybe he wants it to change so he can start posting again.

EDIT 2: The discussion is going on in AC. I'm assuming the discussion will continue onto the Mod Squad after the former is done ...

Aunecah

12. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    One way or another, does it really matter? There are plenty of reasons why people take breaks from this place, or why they don't post a lot. I'd hate to see opinions ignored simply because the person doesn't have enough posts.

Edit:
    Strilo, when it all comes down to it, I don't have any more say in the matter than any other member here, aside from the TPM mods. I've discussed it here in Comms, and I've discussed it in the AC. I really see no need to discuss something in three different forums. If nothing happens as a result of discussions in Comms and the AC, then chances are nothing will happen as a result of discussions in the MS.

13. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, I don't post in EU, but I can claim I lurk and that I think the such-and-such threads are hurting teh movie forums and they should be baned forevar.

If they took my claim seriously, they might let it influence a decision that could impact a huge number of people who are actually a part of the community and greatly enjoy those threads.

I think if you don't put in the time into a community and participate, you should keep your nose out of it's business.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But C-3PO has requested it be discussed in the MS because the AC is useless. Should you guys not discuss it then?

15. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, but why would someone participate in a community that they don't like? It sounds like it'd be a waste of time. Usually, the only people who participate in a community are those who enjoy doing so. Those people aren't the people who would typically complain about something. Those who would complain are those who don't like how things are in that community. I think their voices deserve to be heard too.

Edit:
    Whether or not it's discussed in the MS is up to the TPM mods. It's pointless for someone else to bring it up if they aren't going to change their minds.

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    If they took my claim seriously, they might let it influence a decision that could impact a huge number of people who are actually a part of the community and greatly enjoy those threads.

Agreed.

Blackpool was named as the new Fan Art Moderator.

w00t! :D

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes, but why would someone participate in a community that they don't like? It sounds like it'd be a waste of time. Usually, the only people who participate in a community are those who enjoy doing so.

If they do not care enough about a community to work on making things better from within then they do not really care enough about the community at all.

18. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    A little testy are we?

I'm a lurker since the TPM board became so hostile.

If you've read my past few posts, then you should know that.

I would participate more if this place was more fun. Your sniping at my character was uncalled for. I've done nothing to you except disagree on this one point.

That's hardly a crime.

Why would I even bring this up if I didn't care?

As to the other point.

AC = Non public discussion that I have no say in = I don't like it

I've used comms in the past and instituted real changes that benefitted the TPM forum before, and I completely disagree with the behind closed doors setting of the AC.

Yes, the mod squad is behind closed doors as well, but since the Comms thread was closed, I'd prefer people who can actually institute changes (i.e. the Moderators) to continue the discussion.

Doubly so, since the current AC members from the relavent forums are part of the two major threads involved in this discussion.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I made no comments towards your character. I asked what interest you have. My curiousity was piqued by your post history in the past year. I was hoping for a genuine answer and not a reply from anyone else or drama in general.

As for the Basher/Gusher threads question, as the final decision on this matter rests with Quixotic-Sith and Oakessteve and both of them have already stated in other discussions that the TPMDF and the Sanctuary are staying open, I am not sure I see the point of asking Quix to create a discussion on top of what the Mods have and are already discussing. But then Quix will have to address that.

20. C-3P0

Apr 20, 2001
    To tell the truth, I feel I represent a large number of past JC members who stopped posting because of the divisiveness of the TPM forum.

I also believe from reading the first few locked comm threads on the subject, that the issue was being completely brushed under the carpet because of the "agressive" posting history of the proponents of these changes. I carry no such baggage, and I'm not so easily dismissed as a ranting "troublemaker".

It's frustrating to not have that stigma, and then be spoken of like my opinions do not matter because I'm not a prolific poster.

I see real merit in their proposals, and I'd like to see the discussion followed through as much as possible.

I've been a member here since 1999 first under The Phantom Messanger, changed to General_JarJar because of the obvious misspelling, and then settled on C-3P0 when I realized a classic character name was available.

It's true I lurk more than post, but that does not mean that I'm not here almost every day.

If you want to continue this discussion via pm, feel free.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    AC = Non public discussion that I have no say in = I don't like it

A Mod Squad discussion would be the same way. In the AC though, there are more voices who aren't mods.

22. C-3P0

Apr 20, 2001
    Yes, the mod squad is behind closed doors as well, but since the Comms thread was closed, I'd prefer people who can actually institute changes (i.e. the Moderators) to continue the discussion.

Doubly so, since the current AC members from the relavent forums are part of the two major threads involved in this discussion.

Of course, ideally this topic could continue to be discussed in Communications.

Unfortunately, since the creation of the AC this is less and less likely to be allowed.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Unfortunately, since the creation of the AC this is less and less likely to be allowed

The AC doesn't prevent things from being discussed in Communications.

24. C-3P0

Apr 20, 2001
    KnightWriter,

We'll just have to disagree on the usefullnes of the AC/Communications since the AC was implemented.

:D

At this point, every thread on this subject has been closed.

DarthSapient posted this on the last page of the most recent thread.

At this point, it appears we're merely spinning our wheels and not moving forward. I have learned a great deal since the advent of this thread about the whole picture and so long as the users in those threads are acting responsibly and within the TOS, then there's no issue. I trust the judgment of the mods of the TPM forum and all the forums for that matter. If this continues to be a major issue, please do not hesitate to contact me immediately.

I don't want to reopen anything. I merely wanted to ensure that the discussion would continue in the modsquad with a mention in the next mod update.

That's not a lot to ask is it?

A change does not even have to be made, but I'd like to know that any decision had input by all the moderators.

Some of the active people in the previous thread had reservations about only the TPM mods having a voice considering that they are both members of the threads in question.

I, like several others, think this is an issue that pertains to all the movie forums not a TPM only discussion. :D

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    C-3PO I would like to thank you for that reply. It was thoughtful, intelligent and I respect you for it. Thank you for answering my question without getting defensive or making excuses or perpetuating "drama." I myself have worked very hard at making the TPM forum a better place to hang out in and can understand your concern for a place you have watched and/or participated in for longer than I have certainly. Even if we disagree on the DF and the Sanctuary, I think we share a mutual concern for the TPM forum being a good place to chat. Thanks again for being cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.