main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending April 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by General Kenobi , Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Please don't. ;) I think three is quite enough.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    ...you should also seek to recognize that a great many people have stopped going to the TPM forum due to the hostile atmosphere.

Bingo.

But this is a pointless discussion. The mods have made it clear again and again and again that the policies won't change.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It has yet to be proven that moving or closing the DF or Sanctuary would CHANGE that hostile atmosphere.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It has also yet to be demonstrated that the forum is "hostile" beyond differences of opinion or beyond the atmosphere of any of the other movie discussion forums.

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    ^ Exactly.

6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    The moderator's heads are firmly in the sand:

It has also yet to be demonstrated that the forum is "hostile"...

the policies aren't going to change:

I think we'd both appreciate it if folks would respect our judgment, rather than further beating a dead horse.

and the people who've left aren't coming back.

Pointless pointless pointless.

7. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Look, the TPM forum is as much of a clique forum as the JCC, and everyone knows it. That's more than likely 75% of the issue here. I haven't seen a forum so uninviting to new people, besides IGN's Insider Community Board.

It's evident even in this thread, if you read the posts of certain members.

I don't particularly like going to the TPM forum, because very little active discussion takes place there, it's a lot of basher/gusher crap.

8. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    I think it would be beneficial if somewhere there was a list of what terms are acceptable to use and what are not. This makes it so that there is no need for being subjective.

9. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The atmosphere in The Phantom Menace forum is a massive improvement on how it used to back in 1999. Yes, there is gulf between the posters there when it comes to how one feels about the film, but since the film created that gulf, it would be silly of the forum not to reflect it. Yes, in the past, there have been occasions when trolls have turned that forum in to a bit of a mess, but the same thing has happened in the Attack of the Clones forum, The Classic Trilogy forum, and probably every other main forum on this site. For those people who think the atmosphere of The Phantom Menace forum is unfriendly, well, I don't really think you've been paying enough attention to how the forum, and the posters, relate to each other, as it's my feeling, and I've thought this long before I became a moderator, that it's always been a fairly friendly place. At least, it has been in my experience, at any rate.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    <ust of the G/B war threads are soem were on page 2 and beyond. must are not G/B wars.

11. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    The atmosphere in The Phantom Menace forum is a massive improvement on how it used to back in 1999. Yes, there is gulf between the posters there when it comes to how one feels about the film, but since the film created that gulf, it would be silly of the forum not to reflect it. Yes, in the past, there have been occasions when trolls have turned that forum in to a bit of a mess, but the same thing has happened in the Attack of the Clones forum, The Classic Trilogy forum, and probably every other main forum on this site. For those people who think the atmosphere of The Phantom Menace forum is unfriendly, well, I don't really think you've been paying enough attention to how the forum, and the posters, relate to each other, as it's my feeling, and I've thought this long before I became a moderator, that it's always been a fairly friendly place. At least, it has been in my experience, at any rate.

I say, "Well said Oakessteve at the moment things appear to be improving. At a much faster rate. Yet somethings still linger, but all soon would be much better. :) And the mere fact that the TPM forums appear to be friendly is true. I know for I posted there a few times and had no problems with many to which I posted with. I really don't see the TPM bashrs/ Gushers there. But perhaps I really never went out i search of them."

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If you ask the bashers and gushers, everything is just fine. But ask the people who don't neatly fit into either demographic such as myself, and C-3PO and others who have since left their favorite movie forum, there is a huge social issue that is only being kept alive by actively endorsing such behavior.

Having official basher and gusher threads is just as good as condoning it.

The Bahser's and gushers are saying everything has gotten much better with the clique threads, and if that is the case, there should be no problem with removing the training wheels to see if we are ready to ride on the big boy's bike.

If the infighting is over, then we shouldn't have to be segregated anymore right? We could have one non partisan social thread like all the other movie forums.

Since I have tried to bring this matter up, all I ever get is Quixotic declaring this a non issue. I would have gotten in on this discussion sooner, but his coarse attitude towards myself in particular has resulted in my inability to post in the TPM forum.

Quixotic Sith is more interested in keeping the basher gusher phenomenon alive than he is in returning the TPM forum into a non partisan forum.

The movie forums should be about the Movies, not the Alingments of "fans".

But I don't know why I am bothering. The rest of the moderators around here seem afraid to even question the TPM moderators, and if this is only going to be left up to them, then nothing will ever be done about it, because they are card carrying members of both sides of the very rift that has been tearing the TPM forum apart since the movie came out.

It is high time we put an end to this official endorsement of the Bahser/Gusher conflict by TFN.

We should not be known as "bashers" and "gushers" but as unique individuals who happen to like the same series of movies.

At the very least, TPM forum shoulnd't be treated any differently than the other film forums, which all seem to be doing just fine without cultivating this destrctuve conflict.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    But I have to ask if it's as destructive as it may appear to you. I don't doubt your perception, but at the same time this is not a recurring thread in here. It may be recurring by the same users, but not a great many different users. That's the difference.

If the folks in each of those threads are behaving within the TOS, it's a thread appropriate to the forum, and you enjoy the film, can you not post around it in any of the countless other threads in there? And each forum is different and should be. They're all a different flavor.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The very conflict is destructive and uneccesary.

The very lables: Gusher and Bahser are derogatory. Each insinuating an extemely over the top opinion that no one person actually has on their own.

Let me ask you this. If there is no problem, then why do they need to be segregated in the first place?

You aks me if it's really "that" destructive. As though some "destructive" behavior is okay, as long as it is confined to the TPM forum.

To me, this is a matter of principal. TFN should not condone this ridiculous division. We are all fans, and we each have a unique point of view. Some of us like TPM more than others, and all for different reasons.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I can understand that, but it has also existed this way since as far back as I can remember. What I'm driving at is these aren't threads created today. They've been around and existing, for the most part, without problems.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So people like myself are acceptable casuatlies in your effort to not rock the boat?

Like I said, I am not sure why I am bothering anymore.

I have been an exclusive TPM forum poster since way before you or quix entered the picture, and there was a time when we didn't need these band aides.

When TPM came out, it was pure pandemonium. The B/G threads helped to keep it under control. But it is time to finally put out these controlled fires.

I now find myself drivien out of the very forum I have made my home since I first signed up years ago.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't mind rocking the boat when the boat needs to be rocked. What I'm saying is that I think you are so close to the issue that you may have lost the objectivity needed to look at the whole issue from 30,000 feet. :)

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That's exactly the same reason I don't think this should be left up to the TPM mods.

I am asking for people who aren't so close to consider the matter, and that so far has not happened.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, that's kind of like me. I don't post there and I'm looking at it as an outsider.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So because the bahser gusher thing has waned in the years since TPM, you think it is okay to continue condoning that kind of segregation?

The rest of the TPM forum is hurt, because all of the relevant discussion is taking place in these polarized threads.

Why do you see that as a good thing?

21. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    The very conflict is destructive and uneccesary.

The very lables: Gusher and Bahser are derogatory. Each insinuating an extemely over the top opinion that no one person actually has on their own. Well they have always been around and always well. You can't mod someones opinion.

Let me ask you this. If there is no problem, then why do they need to be segregated in the first place?

Ok so I want to talk to be that like just AOTC where do I go? Look at it this why we have threads in the YJCC for hockey, baseball, football, etc. Do we just put them all in one thread and call it sports? What if I want to talk with people who like just football. So what I'm saying is if I want to talk to people about who have different opinions about the Love Story in AOTC I will go to the Love Story thread in the AOTC forum. But when I want to talk to people who only like the Love Story in AOTC I will go to the A&P Defenders thread in the SWC.

No one is being segregated. You can not really do that in a forum like this.

To me, this is a matter of principal. TFN should not condone this ridiculous division. We are all fans, and we each have a unique point of view. Some of us like TPM more than others, and all for different reasons.

Well those who like it at times only want to talk with those who like it. Same with those who do not like it.

Edit: By the way by closeing the DF thread and BS thread you are knwo telling people who they can and can not talk to. You are also telling them that if they don't like the PT to bad. You can not tell people what kind of opinion to have or who to talk with on this forum.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If that's the case, then they won't mind hopping over to the "social" clique area known as "community" will they?

There has been an unwritten rule since a while back that each film forum be limited to one single social thread.

According to the proponents of the bahser gusher war, the TPM forum needed an exception because things were so out of hand.

Now that things are no longer out of hand, I have to ask what the purpose of these threads are currently.

If they are for social puposes, then why are there two?

If you say it is to keep the Basher Gusher war managable, then that contradicts the asessment that "everything is fine" in the TPM forum.

23. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Okay, my ideas may seem a little unorthodox, but bear with me. As long as people aren't flaming each other (a.k.a., "You don't like TPM? You suck!"), I don't see any problem with the environment getting a little hostile. I'm all in it for good intelligent discussion and debate - there is too little of that in the JCF. The Senate is really, really interesting, but it isn't a place for everybody. ;)

What I want to see is Mods banning people who're flaming each other - not locking the threads in which it happened. Like Vertical said in another thread floating around somewhere, "moderate at the post level, not the thread level." Or something like that....

So, no, I don't see any problem with said threads being where they are - a TPM fan/hate club does, after all, belong there.

(On a side, I really think anybody who uses the words: "Basher" or "Gusher" should be given a spank from second offense.)

Aunecah

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, the members of the forum are determining what they like and dislike by the activity and types of threads that are posted in.

25. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok both Quix and Steve make sure that people talk about the movies be it in the BS thread, DF thread, or what ever other thread it is. When someone flames they take care of it.

People in the BS thread talk about the movies. If the flame even in there it is taken care of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.