main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending April 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by General Kenobi , Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If the TPM fan/hate clubs belong in the TPM forum, then why are the rest of the movies fan/hate threads kept in community?

To me, that's where social clique threads belong.

The movie forums should be about the movies, not the clubs some fans have organized.

I want people to talk about the films in threads created for those topics, not exclusive threads where many people feel left out.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The movie forums should be about the movies, not the clubs some fans have organized.

Funny but the JC is a club. It's a club for Star Wars fans.

Theonering.net is a club for those who are fan of LOTR and so on.

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I really have no opinion on where the fan clubs/hate clubs should be at. I couldn't care less if they were in the TPM or the SW Community forums. I'm just saying that since they are now in the TPM forum, why bother with the change.

Aunecah

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Because the rest of the TPM forum is being hurt by it. The forum is no longer hospitable to people who do not join up with one side of the "war".

There is no upside to the basher/gusher conflict.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Because the rest of the TPM forum is being hurt by it. The forum is no longer hospitable to people who do not join up with one side of the "war".

Simply making this statement over and over is not going to make it true. Provide proof to back this up.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Go-Mer...
    "There is no upside to the basher/gusher conflict."

But, you already said that the two threads account for what in your opinion is the most valid discussions in the forum.

If you were correct in your assessment, then that's a huge upside you can't argue with or discount so easily.

What you're asking is to remove (in your opinion) the most valid discussions in the forum. Why should the forum moderators do that?

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, if they're really hurting the TPM forum, aren't they also going to hurt the SW Community forum?

I don't think any kind of serious discussion will ever hurt a forum, but that's just me.

:)

Aunecah

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That discussion should be happening without partisan lines drawn. It should be happening in threads about whatever topic they are discussing, not one thread where you have to be a gusher, or another thread where you have to be a basher.

It wouldn't hurt community because the other threads aren't talking about TPM.

Strilo If the two partisan threads are soaking up all the relevant TPM discussion, then the rest of the forum suffers. What more "proof" do you need?

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And if you pull out both threads, the majority of posters from both threads will likely stop posting in TPM at ALL. THAT will kill the forum completely.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    But if they discuss TPM in those other threads, why would they have a problem discussing TPM in a non-partisan thread?

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You'd have to ask each individual user that question. I am sure every person has different reasons.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Could any of them be... "I don't want to hear an opposing viewpoint"?

13. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I really enjoy how one side of this argument is allowed to make unproven generalizations, while the other side is constantly asked to back up its claims with proof.

14. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    That discussion should be happening without partisan lines drawn. It should be happening in threads about whatever topic they are discussing, not one thread where you have to be a gusher, or another thread where you have to be a basher.

And again Go-mer when I want to talk with people who like just the TPM or AOTC I will go in to the DF thread. Same with the bashers. You can only do that in a thread like the DF and BS threads.

Strilo If the two partisan threads are soaking up all the relevant TPM discussion, then the rest of the forum suffers. What more "proof" do you need?

Like Strilo proog that it hurts the fanbase. Which it does not. Also the G/B war was going on before the DF or BS threads. They have been going on ever sense ROTJ. Heck they may have been going on sense ANH. These two threads are not hurting the fanbase. These two threads did not start the G/B war and a lot of the posters in both threads did not start the G/B war. Those who started it are a small group of people who do not post in ether one.

Quix and Steve have a rule in TPM forum. A very good rule. It's called talk about the movies not the poster. It does not matter what thread it's in. You talk about the poster the will tell you to stop it. After that well you amy very well be banned.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Just because the B/G war started before those threads were created is not a good reason to keep the B/G war alive today.

There is no reason why people who don't want an opposing opinion can't go to community.

I am not trying to get rid of the threads, I am just trying to get them out of the film forums.

If the rule is talk about the movies, not the poster, then you can see why I think that having a thread that pertains to poster's affiliations should not be allowed there.

16. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But in both threads they talk about the movies so they are on topic.

17. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "I really enjoy how one side of this argument is allowed to make unproven generalizations, while the other side is constantly asked to back up its claims with proof."

PPOR. :p

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    There is no reason why people can't talk about TPM in individual threads for each topic.

19. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    "I really enjoy how one side of this argument is allowed to make unproven generalizations, while the other side is constantly asked to back up its claims with proof."

And... this could have come form any number of threads.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    1) If there is no basher/gusher "problem" then what purpose do the Basher and Gusher threads serve currently?

2) If the rule of the TPM forum is to talk about the topics, not the posters, then why have two threads about a poster's alignment?

3) If they are being preserved for the community each thread provides, why not move them to the community forum?

4) Why would the people who frequent these threads stop posting if they were moved?

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Are we hoping to wear down Quixotic Sith and Oakessteve enough that they will give in and close the threads? Because honestly, this seems to be covering the same ground as the last three threads did as well.

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I really don't see any problem with the threads being where they are. The rules perahps should be perhaps a little stricter in those threads - a.k.a., flames will be absolutely NOT tolerated - but otherwise ... what exactly is the problem??? Because I don't see one.

:)

Aunecah

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I gave up on both of them a long time ago.

I am hoping there are less biased people to appeal to at TFN.

The problem is that TFN is endorsing the basher/gusher rift in the TPM forum.

I don't want them closed, I want them moved to community where the other fan/hate threads have been located.

Strilo, do you care to answer the questions I put forth?

1) If there is no basher/gusher "problem" then what purpose do the Basher and Gusher threads serve currently?

2) If the rule of the TPM forum is to talk about the topics, not the posters, then why have two threads about a poster's alignment?

3) If they are being preserved for the community each thread provides, why not move them to the community forum?

4) Why would the people who frequent these threads stop posting if they were moved?

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Go-Mer has anyone talked to you about your editing spasms? 8 edits in 4 minutes. It's kinda hard to reply to you when your words keep changing.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What if they don't care about ridding the TPM forum of the basher gusher conflict?

Certainly there are other avenues to go down when the TPM mods do not adress the issue right?

Or are they considered above the law of TFN forums?

One more time Stilo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.