main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending April 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by General Kenobi , Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    So what? They contain 2 polarized threads, one for "gushers" and one for "bashers".

That's what.

I have been living in that forum long before you or Quix or Oakes came along. If others want to find out how it is, I implore them to take a look for themselves.

The problem again is most of the relevant discussion is being soaked up by these 2 polarized social threads.

The other film forums don't have them. Why should the TPM forum? If the "basher"/"gusher" situation is under control, then why not get rid of the band aide?

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Some of the more notorious and comfrontation people go here to argue which trilogy is better, and so things can be tense.

I don't know why either. I mean there is no need see to be at each others necks. I am sure most have different opions(SP), but must they be made that way? I mean can't people accept that each one of them are different from one another?

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Okay, exactly how is discussion being sunk up?

Aunecah

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If all this discussion that is (as Quixotic-Sith likes to put it) "germane" to TPM is happening in these polarized social threads, then that's TPM discussion the rest of the forum is missing out on.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    But if people are discussing in the Basher/Gusher threads, then that's obviously because they want to. Take that away from TPM forum, and you're going to have much less discussion than you want to have. Other discussion is going on in TPM. It isn't as if there are twenty-five Basher/Gusher threads monopologizing the first two pages and stopping discussion from continuing.

Aunecah

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    At least the discussion that remians will be about the film, not the affiliation of the posters.

The AOTC forum doesn't suffer a lack of activity, neither does the classic trilogy forums. Both of them have their "basher gusher" threads relgated to community. The TPM forum is the ONLY exception to this rule.

The only reason it was allowed was because things were so bad. Now that things are under control, I think it's time the TPM forum be treated like the other forums.

Why don't the people who decided against the Basher Gusher threads in the AOTC forum or the Classic Trilogy forum chime in with why they felt that was better.

It's not like I am the only one who thinks this way.

7. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Aunecah_Skywalker-

It isn't - the Sanctuary and TPMDF have simply been around for a while, and as such, are larger threads.

So, Go-Mer, in the last go around on this issue, you seemed about to drop your case if you were let back in to the Sanctuary to "discuss" the films with no desire to move it, since it was a busy thread. Now since you can't do that because of your posting history, you want it moved out of the forum. Hmm...

And C-3P0, I'm sorry, but we already have discussions running on the issue in two forums - the mods are free to post about the topic in the AC, but the only mods who have thusfar have been Oakessteve, Sape, YodaJeff, and me - I don't think you're going to do much more than that; a lot of folks see this as a TPM forum specific issue. If there is interest expressed by other mods, I'll open a topic, but as of right now, there seems to be little interest outside of the four of us.

EDIT: clarity

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If you let me into the Basher's sanctuary, then that would be proof that dissent is allowed.

Something you claim is the case.

I would still be willing to drop the issue if you could prove that to me.

9. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Quixotic-Sith: Okay, but I still think that time isn't an explanation to the number of posts. If the posters weren't interested, they wouldn't be posting in there, which seems to be the main problem, from Go-Mer's POV.

Aunecah

10. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    At least the discussion that remians will be about the film, not the affiliation of the posters.

Er, nonsense. The threads in question isn't about affiliation; we don't have political parties or formalized groups, Go-Mer. The threads are successful because they generate interesting ideas, which can be raised in other threads. We have quite a variety of topics available for discussion; go enjoy them.

The AOTC forum doesn't suffer a lack of activity, neither does the classic trilogy forums. Both of them have their "basher gusher" threads relgated to community. The TPM forum is the ONLY excpetion to this rule.

The AOTC forum also enjoys the popularity of being the most recently released film in the series. The CT forum discusses film classics, and the films tend to be less divisive than TPM.

We've heard your arguments before. Repetition does not breed truth. I suggest you move on and enjoy the many positive discussions TF.N offers instead of trying to spoil the fun and camaraderie of your fellow posters. Show them some respect.

EDIT:

Okay, but I still think that time isn't an explanation to the number of posts. If the posters weren't interested, they wouldn't be posting in there, which seems to be the main problem, from Go-Mer's POV.

I agree that they express interest in the thread, and have done so for quite a while, but they don't stifle new discussion; if that were the case, we wouldn't have 800+ topics of discussion. The "Number Issue" is irrelevant - the threads have been around for a long time and are popular, but not at the expense of other discussions. There are far more discussion threads in the forum than the number of topics covered in the Sanctuary and TPMDF.

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Go-Mer: There really are so many positive things about TPM. I don't really think the Basher/Gusher sanctuaries are serious problems - I don't even think they're problems.

Why not just ignore the threads and instead try to promote discussion about the films?

:)

Aunecah

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999

[b]Go-Mer:[/b] At least the discussion that remians will be about the film, not the affiliation of the posters.

[b]Quix:[/b] Er, nonsense. The threads in question isn't about affiliation; we don't have political parties or formalized groups, Go-Mer. The threads are successful because they generate interesting ideas, which can be raised in other threads. We have quite a variety of topics available for discussion; go enjoy them.[hr][/blockquote]If the threads aren't about affiliation, and are instead about interesting topics relating to TPM, then why do we need 2 of them for starters, and why can't we just talk about TPM in threads for the individual topics like the other forums?[blockquote][hr][b]Go-Mer:[/b] The AOTC forum doesn't suffer a lack of activity, neither does the classic trilogy forums. Both of them have their "basher gusher" threads relgated to community. The TPM forum is the ONLY excpetion to this rule.

[b]Quixotic-Sith:[/b] The AOTC forum also enjoys the popularity of being the most recently released film in the series. The CT forum discusses film classics, and the films tend to be less divisive than TPM.[hr][/blockquote]So? Maintaining 2 polarized social threads helps with this "division" by keeping them separated? To me, this only keeps the division going.[blockquote][hr][b]Quixotic-Sith:[/b] We've heard your arguments before. Repetition does not breed truth.[hr][/blockquote]How is that any different from your approach? I mean insisting the TPM forum is better off encouraging the Basher Gusher rift over and over again doesn't make that any more true does it?[blockquote][hr][b]Quixotic-Sith:[/b] I suggest you move on and enjoy the many positive discussions TF.N offers instead of trying to spoil the fun and camaraderie of your fellow posters. Show them some respect.[hr][/blockquote]Beleive it or not, I am proposing this out of respect for all of my fellow SW fans.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt for you to respect me as well would it?

13. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    If you let me into the Basher's sanctuary, then that would be proof that dissent is allowed.

Something you claim is the case.

I would still be willing to drop the issue if you could prove that to me.

Very well.

1. strilo and SomeRandomNerd like the film overall, and have taken lengths to discuss the aspects of the film they enjoy.
    2. Both strilo and SomeRandomNerd have posted these arguments in the Sanctuary, where they have been engaging in spirited, but always civil, discussion and debate with their fellow posters. There is mutual respect.
    3. Their opinion of the film runs counter to that of many folks in the thread, ergo, their posts constitute "dissent."
    4. Therefore, dissent is permitted in the Sanctuary.

QED. Now stick to your word and drop the issue.

And before you say it, the reason you can't post in there has been explained time and time again - you've repeatedly stopped discussing the films and began discussing the posters, even after you promised you would change. Your banishment from the discussion was due to behavior, not opinion.

EDIT:

Go-Mer, I'm not going to be drawn into another post/riposte with you when all of your questions have been answered here and in the previous three threads. While you may not like the answers you got, you'll simply have to deal with it.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I wanted you to prove it to me, not them.

As long as I stick to the topics and do not discuss "the posters" I don't see why you have a problem with it.

Edit: Thanks for refusing to respect my position, but this question was never answered:

"If the threads aren't about affiliation, and are instead about interesting topics relating to TPM, then why do we need 2 of them for starters, and why can't we just talk about TPM in threads for the individual topics like the other forums?"

You say you answered it. PPOR.

15. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I wanted you to prove it to me, not them.

[face_plain]

Meet the standard and watch as the bar is raised higher, ensuring that the goal will never be met...

As long as I stick to the topics and do not discuss "the posters" I don't see why you have a problem with it.

Because for four years you've demonstrated quite a bit of difficulty sticking to the topic at hand. You fall too easily into personal comments and attacks in that environment, so I took the temptation away. Enjoy what you have left - 800+ threads of discussion, and 13,000 across five forums.

EDIT:

"If the threads aren't about affiliation, and are instead about interesting topics relating to TPM, then why do we need 2 of them for starters, and why can't we just talk about TPM in threads for the individual topics like the other forums?"

You say you answered it. PPOR.

I'm going to borrow a page from your playbook, Go-Mer. If you can't be bothered to do the research yourself, I'm not going to explain it to you (again).

This is simply ridiculous.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I am not sure what you have written in your notes about me, but that is ridiculous.

If I did that, you would ban me.

Edit: Once again all I ever get from you is "I posted that answer elsewhere, go find it".

Does TFN encourage Mods to belittle their posters?

17. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Go-Mer: I really think you're taking this way too personally. For one last time: If you don't like the threads, then stay away from them. Let those who enjoy posting in them DO post in them. Post in the however many other threads that are in the TPM forum if that's what you want. Arguing pointlessly here is NOT going to make a difference. :(

Aunecah

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    All I want to do is participate in the TPM discussion.

Most of that discussion is happening in these polarized threads.

I only avoid the thread because Quix won't let me post in it.

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I think I'm finally kind of understanding the situation here. So, basically, you want to participate in the two threads, but you can't because Quix won't let you? Am I getting that right?

Well, maybe you can somehow have a PM-chat with him?

Aunecah

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I tried that.

Quix says he has so much stuff written about me in his notes, that he can treat me in any way he likes.

He won't let me post in the Basher's Sanctuary, because he says I tend to discuss the posters, not the issues.

There have been times in the past where I would do that, but after some strict moderation on Quix's part, I finally understand where I was going wrong.

Since my last punishment, I have been a very upstanding poster in the TPM forum.

But Quix says he will never allow me back into the sanctuary.

My stance is, if I start flaming people, I will be banned. I know better than that, and if I were to slip up, Quix would probably ban me for life.

I don't want that to happen.

If Darth Vader can realize his mistakes and make amends, why can't I?

21. WhenDaSithHitsDaFans

WhenDaSithHitsDaFans Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    i say give him/her another chance, Quix. Forgiveness is good and helps heal the soul. You have his word now in a thread and for everyone to read if he breaks it. One more chance wont harm anyone! :)

22. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Quix says he has so much stuff written about me in his notes, that he can treat me in any way he likes.

*ahem*

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

You know I never said that, Go-Mer, but I'll let it slide. If anyone wants external verification for my statements about Go-Mer's netizenry, I would encourage them to contact Sapient.

Regarding readmission, if it were a first offense, I'd consider it (as I have done for others). This is not a first offense. This is not a second offense. This is not a third, fourth, or fifth offense. There is a pattern that has developed and which I believe speaks more truth about the situation than any isolated post in a thread.

Before anyone chimes in again about "one more chance," I would encourage them to not take a Comms thread simply at face value, but look into the history of this poster. Talk to regulars in the forum. Get acquainted with the issue before suggesting readmission.

23. WhenDaSithHitsDaFans

WhenDaSithHitsDaFans Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    oh rite... i guess he should have learnt after the first or second time!

well... enuff of me! :D

EDIT: I didnt chime- i typed!!! :p

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
  25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I do not deny my history, I am talking about how I am now.

I know what I was doing wrong, and can now participate without making it personal.

Edit: Appreantly whatever I did was so inhumane, that I cannot be given another chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.