main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending June 16th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

Weekly News from the Mod Squad

Several Mods took leaves of absences

Among them Lord Bane, Mr. P, NathanDahlin, Vertical, and Mace Windy. They?re all either back already or coming back shortly. Lobot_Omy has temporarily stepped down, citing lack of available time. We hope to have everyone back soon.

When Managers play with their toys

Rox (actually, it was Young Jedi Niagara) discovered that HTML can be used in forum titles. This makes the name of the window look odd, but in the forums listings it can look pretty cool. Gandolf the Grey suggested that wampa?s Literature FAQ should be added next to the Literature forum on the listings, and Kadue agreed that it would be a good idea, and did so. Suggestions were offered to do this with other forums and FAQs.

Kadue also created a hidden forum that he is using to test board features. With any luck, the mad schemes he is cooking up will bear fruit. Some interesting changes to the board layout may be forthcoming. The Mod Squad already has a model of the possible new layout, and we're looking to implement it elsewhere. Refinements are being done at the moment.
    For your future reference, Kadue is teh Man.

Warnings went out

Warnings came out from Vertical, Gandolf the Grey, DarthAttorney and Son of the Suns to keep an eye on certain threads and users. We?re not naming any names.

Dark Horse Employee Problem

DarthSapient came into the Mod Squad saying ?I had to ban a user in the AOTC forum for STRONG sexual content about lesbians and such and when I did an IP, it came up with a VIP [that is] an employee of Dark Horse comics. What, if anything, do we do beyond this?? GriffZ suggested that ? Maybe they just had some immature kid running around the office, and he decided to give the ol' Internet a try.? Darth Ludicrous suggested that ? contact [the VIP] directly about it. Alert him that he has an employee using the company's connection for inappropriate things. [The VIP] is high up in the company, only under Richardson himself.?

To sum up: it looks like someone at Dark Horse just got bored and acted like an idiot. The VIP in question is innocent.

Fanfiction is Corrupt

But then, you all already knew that. Liz Skywalker noticed this. Here is the explanation she gave:

[color=crimson] I first noticed this while posting my usual up on [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=173692]Prophecies and Destinies[/link]. It says on top: [TFN Fanfic Archive] Jedi Council Forums » Beyond The Films: The Expanded Universe » Fan Fiction Stories » Prophecies and Destinies (updated 04/30)

as could be understood, I flipped. So I hit the "Beyond the Films: The Expanded Universe" option, and it didn't show me fan fiction. I opened Writer's Resources and hit the Fan Acitivies link. It showed Fan Fiction. Intrigued, I went back to fan fiction and hit a random fic. They said that fan fiction was under fan activities. Now, Prophesies and Destinies has been around for a [i]long[/i] time, but I thought that it might have something to do with the length. I hit a thread with 1577 replies, and it showed me Fan Activies. So I went ot the last page of Fan Fiction and hit [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=173026]this[/link] thread, created 3/16/00. Sure enough, it says Beyond The Films: The Expanded Universe. But 10 pages before it, it was back to Fan Activities. I tried opening threads that I knew were around before the move, like [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=214875]this[/link] thread and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=215035]this[/link] thread. Yep, Expanded Universe.

What's up with this? Why are threads from before the move affected like this? [/color][hr][/blockquote]

[b]Vertica

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good work, Gandolf :).

3. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

great update! thank you all!

4. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Excellent! Nice update.

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Kadue is teh Man.

Looks funny how this is said, and Kadue edited the post ;)

6. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Kadue and his secret forum. Probably tinkering out what we can get from the code. Hopefully we can get something more useful than we already have out of these boards.

And the issue with seeing a lot of Episode III scripts on FanFic has been getting to me as well. Personally, I'd like them confined to websites so I don't accidentally read one (I am hardcore non-spoiler this time around), but that may not be too fair.

Other than that, thanks for the update. Good to see that you guys are working hard for that paycheck ;) (and yeah, even if it is $0.00, you still got a check, Vertical ~ feel special :p)

7. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    "Kadue and his secret forum"

I own that forum. :cool:

8. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Looking good. :)

~*~Bria

9. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for the update.

Erik

10. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    You can see how much Gandy wants those Manager toys :p

I have two questions:

[=]If "Old Folks Home" is FanForce Main Staff, just what is THX-1138!?

[=]What is the second forum that was deleted, that Kadue, Shara, possibily Josh, and probably others I'm missing posted in, but now is not viewable even through the "/" trick?

¤Night

11. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Warnings came out from Vertical, Gandolf the Grey, DarthAttorney and Son of the Suns to keep an eye on certain threads and users. We?re not naming any names.

*Looks around warily*

*runs*

12. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    THX-1138 is just a test forum where we test coding, color schemes, etc.

Vertical

13. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Then why do you need Kadue's Test Subject?

I'm not trying to be annoying, but if server space is important, wouldn't forums take up space?

¤Night

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Stop complaining about them making a forum in order to make the place better! :)

15. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    [face_laugh]

:p

OK, i'll drop it...

¤Night

16. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Free IA!

17. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Reaperfett is right, there's much bigger problems around here that need to be addressed. [face_mischief]

EDIT: Dan is also right.

NO IA, NO PEACE!

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Night: Put it this way: what we have coming is possibly better than sticky topics :cool:

19. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
  20. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    uh oh.

i'm in trouble.

21. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    In my experience newbies don't even read stickies, so that isn't saying much. OR IS IT?! OMG TELL US!!!1111111

22. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    What could possibly be better than sticky topics?

I think that you're bluffing. I call your bluff and raise you 50.

Erik

23. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Internet_Suspense :p

EDIT: Bets 100 w/t Erik against Gandolf

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

Um...

Just be honest and say it was me, okay?

Also, can you open up THX-1138 to the public and let us watch you test stuff?

That would be teh cool.

25. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    No it wasn't you, we've secretly hired a new mod who;s job is solely to follw you around and read all of your posts. You'll never see him, you'll never know he's there. But he is. He;s like Santa Claus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.