main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending June 23rd, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Vertical, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Modsquad Update for the week ending June 23rd, 2002

Messages from Banned Users

Gandolf the Grey noticed several banned members using unbanned members to post messages for them, and got wondering. ? What do we do about those? Just ignore them? I don?t see how getting someone else to post something for you while banned is much different than posting with a sock while banned, but I haven?t seen anyone else doing anything about those sorts of posts, so I?ve refrained. But I?d like to know what the policy is concerning this.? Vertical commented ? Personally, I would just remove the repost. But I've absolutely no sympathy for these 'messengers', either, as they're basically just using it as an excuse to say something controversial without the accountability.?

Gandolf the Grey then suggested that ?whoever does the next Mod Squad update put it in prominently that posting messages from banned users will no longer be allowed.? He also suggested ?that the first offense should lead to the editing of the post, the second to a 24 hour (or as appropriate) banning.?

The decision was made to make Gandolf the Grey?s suggestion the new policy when dealing with that sort of situation.

Therefor, by order of Gandolf:

Posting messages from banned users will no longer be allowed.

The New Headings

Kadue is cool. :cool: It is now possible to post forum annoucements and to have helpful links for each forum where everyone can find them. Go to this thread to talk about it. Kadue started a thread entitled "Forum Headers: what do we want for each forum?", in which the mods of the forums discussed threads that could potentially go at the top of each forum. You should see the results of this discussion in the various forums.

Leaves of Absenses

Both jp-30 and Hama-Ryu Kinnebi took leaves of absenses this week. Hama-Ryu Kinnebi's thread caused others to wonder when Commander Antilles would take a vacation. The answer: next weekend. Admins seem to have lives.

Self-regulation

A few instances of Moderator-regulation were discussed. Issues touched upon were what is and isn't appropriate for a moderator to post on the boards, given that we're supposed to be 'role models' for the rules, and also that the same rules that apply everywhere else on the board also apply in the ModSquad forum. Also touched upon once again (as has been going on for the past few weeks) was the need to make it a daily habit to check the unban requests and respond to the quickly.

Advisory Council Securty and other AC issues

Due to darthpsychotic's apparent hacking of the Advisory Council forum, a discussion was begun by cbjedi on how to best go about re-securing the forum.

Also, it was necessary to discuss what disciplinary actions and consequence should take place after any of the Advisory Council members break the Terms of Service. It was agreed that this was best left up to the discretion of the current Advisory Council members. You can read all about this in their update, if they provide one.

Titles for Webmasters of other sites

An admin from another Star Wars website asked if he could be given a title indicating his role at the other site, and it was discussed among the mods here. DarthSapient summed up most of the feelings when he said, "I think the titles should represent what that member does on this site."

Promotions

Darth Dark Helmet was promoted to Manager. All cards, flowers and gifts of money should be forwarded to him. NathanDahlin explained his decision in a thread in Communications when he said, "Oh, and for those of you who were curious as to why I made DDH a ma

2. AlienAcidMKII

AlienAcidMKII Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001

Therefor, by order of Gandolf:

Posting messages from banned users will no longer be allowed.

Good to know where to send the hitmen!

:D

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Oh behave.

That was an interesting read.

4. AlienAcidMKII

Sep 28, 2001
    Not behaving would be asking..

Problem Users

They were discussed. For obvious reasons, the names and specifics shouldn't become public. If you've been keeping up, you know who they are, but we don't wish to give them any more attention than necessary, as that's apparently why some of the trolls keep coming back.

How do i get back on that list?

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Good update Vertical. :)

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    This is sorely lacking in teh drama. Looks as if the drama meter hasn't even twitched for this update - yet.

7. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

great update.. thanks! ;)

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I'm a little surprised by all that "by the Order of Gandolf" stuff. [face_blush] My brainchild, maybe, but lets not go too far...

9. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Thanks for the update.

10. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    No matter how many times its said, its never enough:

Great Job guys

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "I'm a little surprised by all that "by the Order of Gandolf" stuff. My brainchild, maybe, but lets not go too far..."

You should have made more suggestions, like everyone in the AotC forum should be renamed Harold.

Amazing.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Kyle Katarn...
    "This is sorely lacking in teh drama."

Hence, the reason why darthpsychotic has stooped to slumming on the Advisory Council forum for drama. The Advisory Council has made the administration aware of their lack of drama, and the drama its causing.

13. AlienAcidMKII

Sep 28, 2001
    I'm a little surprised by all that "by the Order of Gandolf" stuff. My brainchild, maybe, but lets not go too far...

name names and ill get the 'crew' on them

14. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    You should have made more suggestions, like everyone in the AotC forum should be renamed Harold.

I?m preferential to ?Marigold? myself.

Not mentioned in the update is the huge edit war waged between Lord Bane and DDH. Their thread has been called ?Darth Dark Helmet: Behold, the Power of Dweeb!? ?If you build it, Lord Bane will soil it with his dirty mind.? ?A loud whistling resonatnes through Lord Bane's ears. "Duuuuh?" the subject asks.? ?"And to get him to stop yelling, I just put my pants back on," says Darth Dark Helmet.? It?s currently ?I eat lots of chocolate in my speedos and bathe every other week. Let's discuss!?

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Hence, the reason why darthpsychotic has stooped to slumming on the Advisory Council forum for drama. The Advisory Council has made the administration aware of their lack of drama, and the drama its causing.

The Advisory Council does something??

16. AlienAcidMKII

Sep 28, 2001
    Stupid question :

Why cant people talk about the refugee (see locked topic) but vertical can have it in his sig?

:p :p ;)

17. AlienAcidMKII

Sep 28, 2001

The Advisory Council does something??

Yup! I got advised today by them!

18. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Where is it said you can't talk abotu the refuge in that thread? We spent 70 posts talking about it. Then everything was done and the thread was closed.

19. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    If I could bold :p :p and ;) I would.

Since you guys want drama...

http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2002/20020624

:D

not drama but good enough.

20. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    AlienAcid:

:eek: !!!

21. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]hahaha nice article.
    anyway, as for the refugee subject who cares? ;) I still can't figure out why people talk about them. if people wanna get together and whatever let them. I guess I missed out on the 'drama' of it all, but I am prefectly happy with this board and have no need to go elsewere, nor do I think people should be looked down upon if they feel the need to 'seek refuge'.

whatever. ;)[/color]

22. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Gandolf you must now do me a favor and retract your silly rule of posting for banned members.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Sorry, maybe it was full out confession and statment that she was going to prove it on national TV, maybe. But that's just her talking, doesn't count. ;)

24. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    I would like to see it proved in episode 3.

box office sell out indeed.

25. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Thank you for banning my favorite sock, my good friends!!! Lord Ban is free to post my friendly private message that he received in the Mod Squad for you to discuss!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.