main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending June 30th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Good job Nathan.

Again, the mods are having too much coffee

2. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Oakessteve is already back. He just needed to take the weekend off. So Yay!

3. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Keep it up! :)

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Thank you, Nathan. If only all updates were as concise and to the point as this one.

And I know it sounds odd, but I do agree with AA, Bane's banning of I_D seemed a bit harsh, perhaps even spiteful. I know it's not my place to tell you how to go about running this place, but is there any chance you guys could look into setting some kind of standards for bannable behavior?? This one (and some others I know of) seemed to have been done when all a poster did was get on a mod/admin's nerves.

If you have any questions about this, you know where to reach me.

5. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I do agree with AA, Bane's banning of I_D seemed a bit harsh, perhaps even spiteful.

Yup, its called envy, and most people are childish enough to bring it to the internet

I_D is funnier then me HE MUST BE STOPED

In the end Lord BAN is stuck up, and needs a good dose of reality.

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I think Bane has a point. There are plenty of occassions where someone has a legitimate concern or complaint, and every one labels it "Drama!" and trivializes it. When I_D is used to mock people like this, it does border on inappropriate. Just because it's funny, doesn't mean it should be left unchecked.

7. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I think I should stick up for Bane here - he's right, for the most part. While I_D is funny, it really is spamming for the most part. However, since it's pretty harmless and I_D doesn't show up very often, it's not horribly offensive, unlike a serial spammer.

Mel

8. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Ya, 100 posts in what 6months saying hello, friends. is spam

most people post that in a day here.. lets ban them!

lord ban has a problem with most of the people who control this alias to begin with, so its not like he is impartial on the subject.

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "farraday asked if partially-masked profanity was allowed on the forums. He was informed that it was not, as per an announcement Missninfan made a few months ago."

That is still the silliest rule you guys have ever come up with. [face_laugh] [face_plain]

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    How so? The old UBB filter blocked out the entire word.

Vertical

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We installed a new spam filter but kept finding out it was getting clogged too easily.

12. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Hey Abilene was in the report.

Cool

Specs :cool:

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I for one don't see anything offensive about swearing, at least not anymore. I swear on occassion and I know it probably ticks some... sensitive people off, so it is for that very reason why swearing is prohibited here.

If I'm too lazy to block out a swear word, I'll just use another word. There's nearly a half million words in the English language, it's not that hard to find a substitute.

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    If you leave one letter intact and *** out the other 3, you still know exactly what it means, and its just as good as saying it. I don't see why anyone, if they are that determined to swear, would feel satisfied with one letter and 3 *'s.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But you need to consider which member committed the offense and whether or not they have a history of problems. It also needs to be viewed within the context of the posts in that thread.

16. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    There are just some things about the anti-"vulgarity" craze I don't understand.
    1. Can a single word, a short series of simple written and/or audible phonetics, really be "bad" or "evil" in and of itself? Are people subjected to some kind of supernatural physical harm when they are exposed to these "profane" words?

2. What are you trying to prevent from happening? Are you afraid of getting sued because someone's kid started bleeding from the eyes at seeing a "naughty" word?

3. Is complete censorship of the word really necessary? If a partially censored word is seen by a person who somehow has avoided the word in all his/her 13+ years of life, and they are unable to fill in the blanks, hasn't your goal been achieved?

4. Are these rules and measures really effective at all? If a fully or partially censored word is recognized for what it is, isn't it already too late to keep that person from being "corrupted"?

Human silliness, I say.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm not afraid of anything like that. The vulgarity is not what we're trying to portray here. Surely, people can find a different way of expressing themselves. It's all about maintaining professionalism and pride-of-site. I edit out the letters and replace with stars.

18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Take the issue up with Josh, as he's the one who ultimately has the say on the matter, BYOB. Arguing the semantic associations or inherent "badness" of certain sylables won't get you anywhere. The fact of the matter is - there's a rule against it, laid down by the guys who own this site. We're here to enforce those rules. Simple.

If they had a rule that no one with the letter z in their name could post here, so be it. Whether or not it's a rational rule is irrelevant. The people who own this site say so. That's the end of the story.

If you have issues with this policy, discuss it with them, as we didn't make this rule.

Vertical

19. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    We installed a new spam filter but kept finding out it was getting clogged too easily.

[face_laugh] Around here? Never. 8-}

Thanks for the update, ND

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

20. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't delude myself to think that I can get the rule changed, nor do I really care. You can censor this site however you want, I'll live. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the issue. To be honest, I think it's all pretty funny to see such concern over four little letters.

21. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Then why would you want us to change the rule? Your source of amusement would be removed.

Vertical

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Oh, this place (and this forum in particular) offers ample sources of amusement and delight, the 'rules' are just one of many. 8-}

23. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Anybody who wants to ban a sock who occasionally posts two words and tries to lighten up the atmosphere of a thread has a few screws loose. I mean... that's just stupid. Really, who gives a damn?

24. Gohan

Gohan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2001
    Are we allowed to even swear at all anymore?

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Gohan, we are.

I believe the accepted ones are:

Damn(But don't say "Damn you"; that's flaming. It's okay in a joking manner. AKA: Damn you DUSHONI! Damn you and your sexy colors!)
    Hell(Don't say "Go to hell" though. That is flaming.)
    Bitch(Only as a verb, and even so, it's a little touchy.
    Ass
    Crap

Those are accepted I believe.

F bombs and S bombs are NOT allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.