main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending June 30th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    ''I never said he supported them. I believe he doesn't. He supports anything that stirs up controversy and negativity towards the administration. He sees the group as a collective organization who is power-hungry and oppressive''

Pretty heavy views there mate.

What about me then? What am I like?
    Please - I wish for a description of who I am. [face_plain]

There may well have been banable material in his signature. There may well have been banable material in his profile. As Vert points out people who did not see it cannot know the whole story.

From what I can see however I believe the banning was unjust and a dangerous precident to set. Of course I am looking at this from somewhat of a utilitarian point of view. We must remember that this place is not a government debating chamber, it is but an internet based star wars message board.

2. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    No one reads the TOS anymore.

TOS
    "User acknowledges and agrees that use of the Jedi Council Forums is a privilege, not a right, and that the administration of the Jedi Council has the right, at its sole discretion, to revoke this privilege at any time without notice or reason."

They have the right to ban whoever and whenever they please. Aruging that its fair or unfair really doesn't accomplish anything. They have reserved the right to kick out whoever they think needs it. If they want to keep out admitted KKK members, the above gives them the right to do so. If they want to keep out all left-wing democrats or all baseball players, they could do that, too.

If you don't think its right, then argue that the TOS needs to be changed. But arguing that banning this guy was unfair won't get you far.

3. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999

[color=blue]From what I can see however I believe the banning was unjust and a dangerous precident to set[/color][hr][/blockquote]There was more to this situation than what you can see, so it's important that you realize that.

Regardless, as others have said, it's not so much the fact that he was a KKK member that was the problem, but rather that he was actively flaunting the issue by putting it in his signature and profile. If this member wants to come back as a sock, and leave the issue of racial supremacy out of his image here (which really has no place on a Star Wars message board, anyway), I don't think that'd be a problem.

We can't pretend to know every single controversial viewpoint that every member here has, nor should we care. But the instant a member starts putting things like that in their signature and profile, and starts clammoring on about how the white race is "supreme", and how it must remain "pure", it gets offensive.

And besides, this isn't a 'precedent'. This type of thing has happened before. AT60's bannishment over some anti-American remarks come to mind, as well as countless others who have been banned for racially offensive remarks.

We're trying to promote a friendly environment here, and racism isn't friendly. That's the bottom line. I don't think that's a dangerous precedent at all.

Vertical

4. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    There would have been far more complaints if he hadn't been banned.

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Does this thread really need to stay open much longer? I've seen quite enough about I_D and racism, thanks.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If they want to keep out all left-wing democrats or all baseball players, they could do that, too.

We will not kick out baseball players. As a matter of fact, Greg Maddux just posted. And it's the government lobbysists and Senate pages that'll get the boot and the right-wing Republicans. But never the left-wing Democrats. That's just crazy talk.

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Phew! Then I am safe on both counts. :D

8. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Damn hippy liberals on welfare smoking crack...

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree that if the user was allowed to stay there would have been more complaints. I don't know what the signature said but I'm sure it warranted deletion. I'm sure there are enough gullible mind-numb users on this board to make a fishing expedition successful. I stand by the decision.

Salty

10. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I agree with the administration on this issue...

11. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Wow, so people are upset that I banned the KKK dude? Hmmm... I wonder... If I were to put, "Join the KKK! The white race is the best race!" in my sig, how much crap would I get? How much? A thread in Comm. all about it, no doubt. A demotion? Maybe a short ban, even?

Yet this guy gets people sticking up for him. Nice. [face_plain]

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree with the administration on this issue...

Gee, where have I seen this before? [face_plain]

13. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    griffZ, if you ever do, ill be the one to start the thread in comm.(dc), so make sure you give me notice, okay? ;)

14. GriffZ

May 27, 2001
    In all your posts in Comm.?

Ba-bam!

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Somebody set up us the thread. Hello, gentlemen.

16. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    hello everyone

17. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    hello, friend

18. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    whats the topic of discussion?

19. GriffZ

May 27, 2001
    Well, we can either discuss how great I am, or how you guys are all not nearly as great as I am. Which one would you prefer?

20. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    hmmmmmmm... choice number a. please

21. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    If we discuss a, then the thread will die...and if we discuss b, then the thread still dies, so lets choose a new topic.

22. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    I have to agree with Obi, it's nice to meet you all. *shakes hands*

23. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    so... how 'bout them [insert sports team here]

24. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    Red Wings are great, whats your fav team?

25. jediknight88

May 19, 2002
    I'm pretty busy making this web site i'm workin on! anyone in here rp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.