main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad update for the week ending June 9th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Thanks to jp-30, Liz Skywalker, Lord Bane, Darth Ludicrous, and everyone else who tried to sneak into the Update.

[hl=green][color=blue] Weekly News from the Mod Squad [/color][/hl]

[b] PreacherBoy is no longer a TheForce.net staff member [/b]

[b] Joshua Griffin [/b] came into the Mod Squad to inform us of what was going on. "[color=purple] Just so you guys know, and in the event that you're asked, Joel Peterson (aka "Preacherboy") is no longer with the staff of TFN. His contributions to TFN over the years that he's volunteered are numerous, and greatly appreciated.[/color]" He continued, saying "[color=purple]This is in no way a reflection of Joel as a person, but more of a 'business' decision, and a difficult one, at that. We are confident that this decision was the correct way to go, and we hope that everyone understands that this was done with the needs of TFN in mind. [/color]"

[b]A Rogue Signature[/b]

[b]Gandolf the Grey[/b] noticed one member had a potentially insulting signature, but thought that asking that member to change that signature might cause a fair amount of Internet Drama, so he asked the opinion of the Mod Squad before doing anything, saying "[color=crimson]I haven't sent a PM asking him to change it yet, as I wanted to find out what everyone else thought first.[/color]" Without anyone saying anything to him, the member changed his signature on his own, and [b]GriffZ[/b] said "[color=blue]I'm glad he changed it; that wasn't appropriate.[/color]" [b]Stinrab[/b] agreed that the signature was a problem, saying "[color=darkgreen]uhm, isn't that called flaming/borderline trolling?[/color]" But since the signature had changed, which was the desired result anyways, we decided to drop the issue.

[b]Informational Threads: Soon to be harnessing the power of Line-by-Lines?[/b]

[b]Ki-Edi-Mundi[/b] made a proposal in Communications, which the Mod Squad absolutly loved, of combining the Line-by-Line threads with the Informational threads. As [b]Vertical[/b] noted, they all work along the lines of "[color=purple]Post 1 - information. Post 2 - Great thread! Post 3 - Awesome! Post 4 - 1,000 - "up"[/color]" [b]Gandolf the Grey[/b] agreed, saying "[color=darkorange]This is the craziest idea I've heard all week, and it just might work.[/color]" In this proposed future, the first post would be for informational purposes, and then the thread would simply be a standard Line-by-Line. We think the idea is twisted and brilliant, and are looking to implement it.

[b]The Titles Problem[/b]

It reared its ugly head again. [b]Vertical[/b] admitted to having given the user in question the offending title in question, and explained why the title was still there. [b]Vertical[/b] offered to have his own title set to "Dink" for a while, saying it was only fair. Most other mods told him not to.

On a related note, former mods were given the title of [i]Moderator Emeritus[/i] by [b]Son of the Suns[/b] in recognization of their time and efforts on behalf of the Jedi Council boards.

[b]The Ampitheatre opened[/b]

[b]Commander Antilles[/b] and [b]Lord Bane[/b] (in an unabashed attempt to get press in the Update this week) decided to open [b]The Ampitheatre[/b] up to the public. After four months of debate and waiting, this new forum offers users the chance to discuss art, music, theater, film, TV, dance, etc. in a calm, mature environment. Namely, in an environment [i]not[/i] the JCC.

Liz Skywalker: "[color=purple]Ahem.[/color]"

[b]Edit time in the Fan Art forum[/b]

[b]Rox[/b] asked if anyone had any problem with the edit time being turned off in the Fan Art forum. This would mean that people could edit their posts as often as they'd like, whenever they felt like it. [b]Liz Skywalker[/b] spoke too soon in saying "[color=blue]I don't think you'll get any objections to this.[/color]" As things turned out, [b]Darth Dark Helmet[/b] did have serious objections, saying "[color=crimson] NO! YOU FOOL! This is going to destroy the forums! It's going to take away the last bit

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks for the update, but I have a point to make about the quotes: would it be possible to leave out more of the "mod dialogue" and get to the point instead? It would help to know exactly what happened instead of details on the discussion which don't really point us anywhere...

It seems that the links to previous updates is taking up more lines than a paragraph itself...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    good job. sounds like you guys have fun in there :p

a month's worth of updates should be plenty, IMO... if they want to go back further, they can go back a month, then a month, then a month, ect

4. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Good update, Gandy! :D

5. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Leave the mod dialogue, its interesting and funny.

Tay

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    that's nice, but you need to work on using READABLE colours :)

Oh, and I enjoy the mod dialogue

7. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    So essentially:

PrecherBoy left
    Rogue Signature: You guys did nothing
    Info threads: You guys like a members idea.
    Titles: SotS did something
    Amphitheatre: Opened
    Edit time: changed
    Semantics: debated
    EU/movie fights: You guys decided to do the same old same old.
    Darth Hannibal: Permbanned a serial tool
    DL: Humoured him
    Coding Error: Kad fixed it
    Modsquad updates: Realise you guys are boring as hell.
    Shakespeare: Killed it again.

Wow guys, way to look busy when the boss comes around :p

But Val, surely their update is more interesting and enjoyable than the bare bones I just listed.

8. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2000
    Yay! My idea might get implemented! :D

9. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Good update, informative, and they're getting better. But, was it really necessary to rub in the fact that PreacherBoy is no-longer a staff member of TFN? You covered that in the last update in enough detail - twice is quite over the top.

kthx.

10. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Shakespeare: Killed it again.

Do you mean this is a good way or bad way? ?[face_plain] [face_mischief]

11. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Jeez. Splash the Joel news around a little more. Maybe put it in the banner.

12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Have to agree with jediguy on PB. It's been mentioned before, why mention the same facts again? We know it; don't make the matter worse.

13. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I think maybe the fact that the news was a late inclusion last week caused it to be put in this update too.

Or perhaps there was more discussion on it? I know that in the AC updates, if we discussed things in two consecutive weeks, we mention it in both updates.

14. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm not sure if there was any extra discussion on the matter because it looks exactly the same as last week's update to me. There doesn't seem to be any other news apart from the same paragraph. However, you may be right about it being late news from last week, Dagsy.

15. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    If there was more to discuss, then it would have been merited. That is not the case.

16. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I think maybe the fact that the news was a late inclusion last week caused it to be put in this update too.

Yes. We didn?t want to seem to be trying to hide this or sweep this under the rug. We figured that if we didn?t mention it, we?d be accused of trying to avoid the issue, or trying to hide facts. That sort of thing easily leads to Internet Drama.

We prefer redundancy to Internet Drama :)

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    It is what happened this week. If it was spoekn about this week, it should be in.

18. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Oh come on, Gandy. We're running out of drama. ;)

19. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    "Mar17swgirl gave Padme Bra a hug, and as it turns out, that was really all he was after."

That's pretty funny [face_laugh] Heh heh...I wonder how you mods present reports to bosses in real life.

Anyway, good job! (and if I'm not mistaken, this is my first post in 'Communications' :p)

:D

20. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
  21. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    hey there, red; good to see you.

thank you for the current/past/new events. I see all is well here, as usual, and as normal. nice to have a case of normalcy here without too much internet drama, although it's nice to see him/her arrive for any events occurring. :D :D :D

22. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Of note: I didn't see the inclusion of the PrecherBoy information last week, so I am glad it was included this week.

Great update, folks....as always. :D

23. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    lovely, lovely.. yes, all seems in fit order! especially loved the Shakespearian (Mis)quote of the Week...

fine job ladies and gentlemen!

24. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I don't know why PB's gone but I bet there was all sorts of behind the scenes drama concerning it. How intreiging.

25. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    The rest of the staff disliked him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.